why do most black people do poorly in school?

dedetriniking

what a lot of assumptions and accusations. you're missing the point. the point is about doing well in SCHOOL. obviously they did well in school to become professionals.

and you dont know that they werent educating youth. that's assumptions. there are MANY community programs. kids dont want to go into those fields because they are not interested. forcing science and tech on kids because there is shortage of black whatsoevers is a recipe for failure and misery.

and fluff is a business like any other

success is doing what you want to do and being good at it... no matter what it is.

Will Smith turned down MIT. Black folks can do anything history has proven that. it just a matter of picking what we WANT to do
Get black kids reading from a very early age and many more of them would want to fly to the moon instead of rapping....many more of them would want to solve mathematical mysteries instead of aspiring to become a basketball player in the NBA....an extremely long shot for most black kids. Change the stigma around education and watch the community diversify. Right now in many black schools you are laughed at if you are too bright...too studios...not into hanging your pants low and grabbing your balls when you speak. Stupidity run amok. Its a vicious cycle but ultimately it is the parents who are responsible for opening up the world to their kids. Reading at an early age is fundamental and sets a foundation for excellence as an actor or an astronaut.

Last edited:

MJ7

Go read a book!

recent test scores showed that most blavk folkes failed the state test this year in nyc. some schools only had 18% of the kids pass. there was only 1 school in MOST districts where more than 65% of the kids passed. the districts that had more than 1 school pass were predominantly white schools. schools in the hood...eny, brownsville etc had NO school passing!

in high school regents have been graded on a curve. in some cases a 38% actually is passing. 38 equals 65!

half the students graduating high school need to take remedial classes in college!!
Who was Yaa Asetewa? Who was Denmark Vessey? Who was Benjamin Banneker?

Do you know who they are?

But we all know who George Washington is. Who Thomas Jefferson is, right?

Basically, Black children don't see themselves in history and it has been proven that when Black children see that their people made contributions to the world; this sparks more enthusiasm in them to learn.

C

CocoErotika

Really??

So most Presidents and CEOS didnt go to school??

And how many black people does will smith employ? And what trade are those people learning that will contribute to an idependent black society or even society period??
no silly but not everybody that go to school will be CEO's. they majority will be employees of those same companies. many CEO's didnt go to school. We posted that list already.

now you wanna know how many black people Will smith employs? you just fishing for shit. even if it is one person. that is one more person he created a job for than if he was working for somebody else.

some of y'all folks just talk shit. these same artists are doing more than those people in the the pages of Black Enterprise who are just helping grease the wheel to make the white mans world go round and catering to their agenda.

but they the first black so and so....

C

CocoErotika

Get black kids reading from a very early age and many more of them would want to fly to the moon instead of rapping....many more of them would want to solve mathematical mysteries instead of aspiring to become a basketball player in the NBA....an extremely long shot for most black kids. Change the stigma around education and watch the community diversify. Right now in many black schools you are laughed at if you are too bright...too studios...not into hanging your pants low and grabbing your balls when you speak. Stupidity run amok. Its a vicious cycle but ultimately it is the parents who are responsible for opening up the world to their kids. Reading at an early age is fundamental and sets a foundation for excellence as an actor or an astronaut.

and he has a greater chance of flying to the moon than becoming an NBA star? okey dokey smokey

Rinababy

Because DUMB urban people continue to support the democratic party who is in bed with the babysitters union opps I meant to say the teachers union .. City school around the country are failing and no one cares . This is one of the reason why I moved out of NYC
THis is bullshit^^^
Responses like this are the REAL reason why kids are failing!

Ras_Apache

will smith was strong academically in high school which is why he was even able to turn down mit. most black kids want to skip the academic part and head straight to movie star status

dedetriniking

and he has a greater chance of flying to the moon than becoming an NBA star? okey dokey smokey
Dude you aren't arguing against the merits of a good foundation in education are you? I thought we all knew that a good educational foundation will not close any doors as far as professions go...but being poorly educated surely can. Note that i'm not talking about the university level, i'm talking elementary to high school which i think is what the thread starter had in mind.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
forget the SCHOOL's input.. parents have to also give input into what their children learn.. if the parents dont have the necessary education.. that might also be a factor..

~Urbane~

Simple: Education isn't a focus in many of these kids homes. Gone are the days of helping with homework, no fancy clothes and shoes unless the grades were up to par, no taking away of electronic devices if assignments weren't completed, no rewards for academic success, etc.

A lot of these kids get spoiled as hell now anyway so they prob figure "Why apply myself? I will get what I want anyway."

A lot of these parents are just babies themselves, don't know what the hell they're doing, barely scraped by themselves to get an education, or have a messed up home atmosphere.

And then you have the parents that tell/teach their kids that they "ain't sh!t" because they "ain't sh!t" themselves.

Then the kids that are smart but lazy, some looking for the easy way out, etc.

Couple that with a system that wasn't designed for "us" to make it through nor one that could care less if we do, some teachers that could give a f*ck if the students pass or fail, some sh!t teaching methods, and what do you get?

The dummies for the "future" we have now.
Yeah , when you walk through the real hood black American areas , what u said above makes so much sense. Many black folks are narrow minded and live in a closed off world where they believe black folks aint sh*t. They think everything black revolves around BET and the hood....LITERALLY!!

We have Black folks that still think Blacks dont play soccer....while it is like the major sport in every black country. It is a good example of why i said everything black revolves around BET and the hood to many.

What do you know about NBA hopefuls or Student athlete programs?

To even be an aspiring NBA player you will have to get your self in a good private/ catholic school. Maintain a good GPA , get at least a decent SAT score so you can get to a good college where U will have to stay for at least 2 years mandatory before u can even think about stepping foot on the NBA hardwood. I been around to many sports hopefuls to know they cant be put in the same category as wannabe rappers. These are good kids that stay away from drugs and gang violence. Even if they dont make it in sports , many still end up with a good education.

black people have no time for that, its what we NEED to do to, not what we want. A community of artists cant create jobs on a massive scale, and its too bad will smith didnt go to MIT instead of cooning in his movies.

check central brooklyns black business percentage and property percentage and compare that to the percentage of the population that is black. Its comical, and the reason whites will take it all back. Bad schools, and black youth who either lack the knowledge to be anything other than musicians, artists, athletes, actors and chefs or theyre lazy and they believe thats the easiest road to success.

Cooning in movies? WTF??

IF we didnt have Blacks in Hollywood guys like you would probably be ####################ing. Many Asian men are very ,very angry because they have a hard time making it in Hollywood and are even more mad that they can only get stereotypical roles when they do make it.

What we need is unity , not people like u arguing and calling others "coons".

That is why Italian Americans do so well even with the high drop out rates.

C

CocoErotika

Dude you aren't arguing against the merits of a good foundation in education are you? I thought we all knew that a good educational foundation will not close any doors as far as professions go...but being poorly educated surely can. Note that i'm not talking about the university level, i'm talking elementary to high school which i think is what the thread starter had in mind.
If you gathered that, then your education failed you. I said they needs to be education alternatives like apprenticeship and focus on the needs, gift and talents of black students. your thinking is TOO standardized. not everybody wants to be a professional nor do we need that.
Yeah , when you walk through the real hood black American areas , what u said above makes so much sense. Many black folks are narrow minded and live in a closed off world where they believe black folks aint sh*t. They think everything black revolves around BET and the hood....LITERALLY!!

We have Black folks that still think Blacks dont play soccer....while it is like the major sport in every black country. It is a good example of why i said everything black revolves around BET and the hood to many.

To even be an aspiring NBA player you will have to get your self in a good private/ catholic school. Maintain a good GPA , get at least a decent SAT score so you can get to a good college where U will have to stay for at least 2 years mandatory before u can even think about stepping foot on the NBA hardwood. I been around to many sports hopefuls to know they cant be put in the same category as wannabe rappers. These are good kids that stay away from drugs and gang violence. Even if they dont make it in sports , many still end up with a good education.

Cooning in movies? WTF??

IF we didnt have Blacks in Hollywood guys like you would probably be ####################ing. Many Asian men are very ,very angry because they have a hard time making it in Hollywood and are even more mad that they can only get stereotypical roles when they do make it.

thank you.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
I will read the rest of the responses later because i don't have time right now and this is an absolutely important topic. It is simple; it all starts in the home. Parents need to read to their kids even before they are out of the crip. Get young kids interested in books and half the battle is over. This is where black parents are failing their kids.

I recently had the opportunity to tour a couple elementary schools for the gifted and talented in New York city. These are public schools but with excellent accelerated programs for kids who have tested in the 97% and above in the gifted exam. With a school system that is 70% minority there was about 5-10% representation of minority kids in these schools. They were 90% asian and white. Few schools in the NY public school system has that kind of ethnic distribution and its only these top tier schools that do....it really is telling. I was there on behalf of two youngsters in my family and I know for a fact that from day one their parents were on a mission to get these kids interested in reading and at 3 years old they were already reading books and had shelves and shelves of them in their room.
It starts in the home.

i will have to agree with you..the people i know who dont do well in school don't read.. i personally believe that reading is fundamental.. and from observing different people.. some parents dont place any or very little emphasis on reading.. i remember summers having to do book reports for school AND home.. and i grew up in a household where reading was instilled at an early age..

C

CocoErotika

will smith was strong academically in high school which is why he was even able to turn down mit. most black kids want to skip the academic part and head straight to movie star status

no they dont wanna skip the academics, they want balance. some are bored because they are not being challenged

Rinababy

i will have to agree with you..the people i know who dont do well in school don't read.. i personally believe that reading is fundamental.. and from observing different people.. some parents dont place any or very little emphasis on reading.. i remember summers having to do book reports for school AND home.. and i grew up in a household where reading was instilled at an early age..
and this is it in a nutshell!
all the finger pointing about teachers/unions is a damn smoke screen. Parents are just as responsible for educating their children as teachers are. If any fool thinks they are going to send their child to a school where there are 30-35 kids in a class and that their child is going to get hands on education they are damn fools. Read to your children, check their homework, give them EXTRA work to do, stop buying iphones and video games and hire a TUTOR if your child is having difficulty. That is what is going to make the difference, not point the finger at teachers and the union just because people are too lazy to do their part in educating their own children.

MadamStatuesque

I can only be me....

Cooning in movies? WTF??

**shakes your hand**

Ras_Apache

no they dont wanna skip the academics, they want balance. some are bored because they are not being challenged
so is what you are saying that if music/art was taken seriously in schools then the kids love for music/arts/sports would carry over into their overall academic success?

if so, that might work. it needs to be implemented in the schools from day 1 tho....cause i work in a high school with all of those programs and the kids are still failing. by the time they reach high school its too late for most of them

dedetriniking

So blacks kids and black schools are failing because they want balance and they are bored? They are willing to study hard if they can be involved in a music class or a drama class? Those are just excuses. Many of those kids do not apply themselves because the fundamentals doesn't interest them. The basics of the three r's hold no sway with them and if you get Bs you are a nerd and will be ridiculed in some of these schools. That is the reality.

You will also find that the kids from the passing schools...the kids who apply themselves academically...are also the kids enrolled in music school and drama classes...but the seeds for learning were planted way before music and drama became important to them.

dedetriniking

so is what you are saying that if music/art was taken seriously in schools then the kids love for music/arts/sports would carry over into their overall academic success?
That is the point: The love for learning....academics....comes first....build everything else upon that and you increase your chances of being successful in whatever endeavour...including the arts.

C

CocoErotika

if so, that might work. it needs to be implemented in the schools from day 1 tho....cause i work in a high school with all of those programs and the kids are still failing. by the time they reach high school its too late for most of them
Yes it has been proven that kids who play an instrument do better in math. and yes I do think it should be implemented from day one. the arts were removed from public elementary and junior highs many years ago. they have campaigns to bring them back

schools began to fail when they cut the arts

C

CocoErotika

so blacks kids and black schools are failing because they want balance and they are bored? They are willing to study hard if they can be involved in a music class or a drama class? Those are just excuses. Many of those kids do not apply themselves because the fundamentals doesn't interest them. The basics of the three r's hold no sway with them and if you get bs you are a nerd and will be ridiculed in some of these schools. That is the reality.

You will also find that the kids from the passing schools...the kids who apply themselves academically...are also the kids enrolled in music school and drama classes...but the seeds for learning were planted way before music and drama became important to them.
smh. you're attemtpting to discount the value in the arts... for what just so you can say you are right.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
so what happened to the parents donig things for the kids.. is the school wholely and solely responsible for a child's education.. do most parents not realize that education doesnt start at the desk.. but rather it starts at the parent's knee.. everything a child is exposed to is a form of education.. so if reading and simple teaching things arent implemented then.. why would it suddenly be developed out of thin air in school.. parents should make learning interesting for children.. so school is a continuation along that spectrum.. not a starting point.. a simple thing like a walk where the kids learn to point out street signs and name the different plants along the way.. different animals.. so much time to teach.. but some parents just dont see it that way.. or know any better..