The official 2010-2011 NBA Playoff Thread

Mystic Xtremist

xtremeintl.com
So the 2 seed ends up playing the 3 seed...and its possible the 4 seed ends up playing an 8 seed. Funny.
lol the same thing they were trying to avoid, right? This happens every time someone thinks they've come up with some brilliant change to "fix" a playoff system: there's always some scenario that throws it out of whack.

Overall, this top-4 seeding change wasn't a bad change to make though.

What is stupid is this:

David Stern is still talking about using international rules on goaltending:
"Well I'm going to urge the owners -- and it's not very radical but we were talking about it for awhile -- to adopt the international rule on basket interference. That is to say, once the ball hits the rim it's in play. Because I think that it's too hard to call. I think that we don't want to stop the game every time to see if it's the right call,

Allow me to point out just what a dumb ass David Stern is here.

How many times do you see an iffy goaltending call on a ball on the rim? Once a game? Once a week? How is this such a big deal?

Now, how many shots end up bouncing on the rim, rolling around it, going to the backboard, etc? Probably a good half-dozen or more per game, right?

This fool wants to put 10 extra shots per game into play because of the 1 or 2 per week that officials might get wrong? How is this a logical tradeoff?

Furthermore -- and an even bigger issue -- how does this correct all the iffy goaltending calls? Isn't it more common for officials to have trouble deciding if a shot was on it's way down? And more common when deciding if a shot hit the backboard before it was blocked?

How is adopting the international rule gonna fix those close, much more common, calls?

Stern's either an idiot, or he thinks we are. Either he hasn't thought this situation thru, or he's trying to hide the fact that he wants to align the NBA with FIBA.

Mystic Xtremist

xtremeintl.com
yeah both teams improved, one teammprove by 23 games the other improved by 20 games and 2 championships.

you always change the argument to make you point...
How am I changing the argument? Are you saying because I didn't mention the titles?

If a playoff team is improved significantly, they obviously will become championship calibre. That's so much common sense, I didn't think that needed spelling out..

If the worst team in the league is improved significantly, they'll obviously become a playoff team, at best. That also is common sense.

I am not changing anything, I am simply making sense. You however are trying to compare apples to oranges, a playoff team to a cellar-dweller.

You are trying to conveniently ignore the fact that the Grizzlies and Lakers were starting from totally different points. Your now-dumb argument is that a single trade should've taken the Grizz from 20 wins to 65 and an NBA title for it to be valid.

That's your argument, right?

RotiKing2004eva

lol the same thing they were trying to avoid, right? This happens every time someone thinks they've come up with some brilliant change to "fix" a playoff system: there's always some scenario that throws it out of whack.

Overall, this top-4 seeding change wasn't a bad change to make though.

What is stupid is this:

David Stern is still talking about using international rules on goaltending:
"Well I'm going to urge the owners -- and it's not very radical but we were talking about it for awhile -- to adopt the international rule on basket interference. That is to say, once the ball hits the rim it's in play. Because I think that it's too hard to call. I think that we don't want to stop the game every time to see if it's the right call,

Allow me to point out just what a dumb ass David Stern is here.

How many times do you see an iffy goaltending call on a ball on the rim? Once a game? Once a week? How is this such a big deal?

Now, how many shots end up bouncing on the rim, rolling around it, going to the backboard, etc? Probably a good half-dozen or more per game, right?

This fool wants to put 10 extra shots per game into play because of the 1 or 2 per week that officials might get wrong? How is this a logical tradeoff?

Furthermore -- and an even bigger issue -- how does this correct all the iffy goaltending calls? Isn't it more common for officials to have trouble deciding if a shot was on it's way down? And more common when deciding if a shot hit the backboard before it was blocked?

How is adopting the international rule gonna fix those close, much more common, calls?

Stern's either an idiot, or he thinks we are. Either he hasn't thought this situation thru, or he's trying to hide the fact that he wants to align the NBA with FIBA
He wants soon to be NBA European Division teams to have an advantage.

bhalistix

It is I
So the 2 seed ends up playing the 3 seed...and its possible the 4 seed ends up playing an 8 seed. Funny.
If Memphis is lucky enough to make it to the next round Ibaka is goin to expose Gasol as a the failure he is, further empowering my argument of the lopsided trade that made his brother a champion...
:good:

Mystic Xtremist

xtremeintl.com
If Memphis is lucky enough to make it to the next round Ibaka is goin to expose Gasol as a the failure he is, further empowering my argument of the lopsided trade that made his brother a champion...
Wouldn't Ibaka, a PF, be guarding Z-Bo?
You'd put a mobile guy like Ibaka on a taller, slower Gasol?
And put a bigger, slower guy like Perkins on a much more mobile power forward?

Interesting matchups you have there.

You really watch a lot of Grizzlies and Thunder basketball I see.

bhalistix

It is I
Wouldn't Ibaka, a PF, be guarding Z-Bo?
You'd put a mobile guy like Ibaka on a taller, slower Gasol?
And put a bigger, slower guy like Perkins on a much more mobile power forward?

Interesting matchups you have there.

You really watch a lot of Grizzlies and Thunder basketball I see.
it just works out better the way i set it up thank you.....

Mystic Xtremist

xtremeintl.com
9-11 shooting, 20pts/13rbs, 3 blocks and 4 assists, and a +13 when he was on the court.

More boards and blocks, and at least as many points, as 11 of Pau's 12 playoff losses in Memphis.
expected response: oh, it was because of zach randolph, ibaka was tired, perkins overslept, or some other weak excuse
How's that failure-exposé thing working out for ya so far?

Last edited:

Mystic Xtremist

xtremeintl.com
On another note, where are all the Knick fans that swore Zach Randolph was totally useless?

edit: I don't mean any of the imix sports-talk crew by the way.

Last edited:

RotiKing2004eva

Heat beat the Celtics pretty convincingly, but I really think in the 1st half the celtics missed many 'easy' shots. Also, I don't know why the refs were so flagrant foul happy. Jermaine ONeal's flagrant was the weakest flagrant I ever saw...and Pierce's 2nd technical was not even a foul. Pierce was standing there, feet planted, setting a screen off the ball. The ref called a foul on Pierce ( for no reason ) and Pierce and Wade exchanged words. The most that should have been done was to separate both players.

At any rate, the Heat won, but I feel confident the Celtics will win game 2 because James Jones is not gonna have another career game and Rondo won't be in foul trouble.

T

T-MAKAA

Rondo played like crap..he really thinks he is good.

I agree Boston will win Game 2

Mystic Xtremist

xtremeintl.com
At any rate, the Heat won, but I feel confident the Celtics will win game 2 because James Jones is not gonna have another career game and Rondo won't be in foul trouble.
What are the C's gonna do to get some productivity off their bench?
Ainge has managed to put together an even worse bench than Miami.
Even if Jones has a normal game, that won't make up the -48/+39 benches.
Disgraceful.

T

T-MAKAA

Dont forget a post or 2 about the HEAT.......
Hey i am a spurs fan, they got beat no reason why i can't root for another team...
Nah it has nothing to do with that.. I juss wanna see u cry about Spurs