Should Soca Artists sing more of thier own tunes

I was looking at the Square One post and it got me to thinking....
I know at time I does get tired of hearing bands sing the same songs especially at a big fete with alot of bands. Do you think it is better musically for an artist to go through thier catalogue sing thier songs old to new.. or is every band singing what is hot the best thing to do?

I think that a band should sing more of thier own songs and really change up thier performances from time to time... just to keep things fresh...

Panman06

Old School Member
hotpepasauce said:
I know at time I does get tired of hearing bands sing the same songs especially at a big fete with alot of bands. Do you think it is better musically for an artist to go through thier catalogue sing thier songs old to new.. or is every band singing what is hot the best thing to do?

I think that a band should sing more of thier own songs and really change up thier performances from time to time... just to keep things fresh...

ABSOLUTELY!!!! I tyad go fete and hear bands sing only new tunes and other people tunes. They need to expand their repertoire.

montREALady

Former IMIX POSTER Child
hotpepasauce said:

it's great for a band to sing their own tunes, once those tunes are hot! a nice mix of theirs and other hit tunes is the best. i remember brass 2000 in trini, every band sang the same songs in different sequences, but krosfyah came on and sang mostly their own songs, which were all hits. they were the best that night, in my opinion.

M

MrBlackRock

I believe they should sing their own songs old to new.. only thing is that the performances should switch here and there

OilInDeCoil

Bes' Wife Status
I think they definately should sing their own hits...I think it's really wack to go to a show and see a band doing a "soca Nelly...version of Getting Hot In Here"....for that much I could stay home in meh bed.

nytrini

Eye of the Beholder!
>I think they definately should sing their own hits...I think it's really wack to go to a show and see a band doing a "soca Nelly...version of Getting Hot In Here"....for that much I could stay home in meh bed.<

Oil, I definately agree, that had to be the worse thing I have seen yet, with cursing and all...I could have definately stayed in my bed for that...maybe then I wouldnt have this horrid memory in my head!

:mad: :rolleyes:

Rummy

Rum Aficionado/Soca-holic
Yes, they should definitely play their own songs. I get so sick of hearing everyone's rendition of the same song. If I have to hear 4 bands in one night sings TRINIDAD or JUMP I'm miserable. Let the bands who don't have many hits back up the 'individual' performers(like Rupee or whoever). The article on Square 1 website is right, and bands shouldn't have to back up the artist unless the promoter is willing to pay more.