Road mixes are a waste of time and money

warrior

Unless you are a pure artist there is one reason to make a remix; to expand the reach of a song. I think 50 cent said it well at the beginning of the Cry Me A River Remix
Yeah.. y'supposed to have a remix. that's how you make one hit record into two.. hahaha(50 cent). G-G-G-G-G-G-Unit!

So logically a remix should either

Be a remix to another genre eg: Club so that you have a song that will get play both during a soca session and a club music session, and people who don't like soca but like club music get to hear your song.

Be a remix within the same style but released when the original is starting to die down. The remix should have something in it to bring it new fresh hypeness.

The problem with road mixes is that they come out while the original is still hot and it is the same genre. At least in Bimtown the road mix smply replaces the orginal so you spend time and money making it with no real gain.

Two remixes that make sense.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Qs3Hq4Za51k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3K-MvkBjm3U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TRINILI0N

Move Quick...Doh Stick
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7bF9lxl9N6I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
************Play Video For My Response***************

warrior

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-yB7J7DYi6M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

warrior

u talking crap right now... yuh know why dey make roadmixes we not talking bout REMIXES

1) A roadmix is a remix last time I checked.

2) So has a song ever won Roadmarch because of the roadmix? I suspect Advantage would have won without the roadmix, so what was the point of the roadmix again?

The money spent on a roadmix could go towards a video or a performance or kept in pocket (or given to me).

TRINILI0N

Move Quick...Doh Stick
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-yB7J7DYi6M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Nice Try

I support the OP....roadmixes are not needed for "more hype" on de road as most of the songs are fast and hype enuff....roadmixes most time ruin the song...I like some roadmixes though.

JAM CREW

Producer
i actually see where warrior is coming from..... remixes or roadmixes what ever you name it.....should drop when the original song getting tired.....but now a days these songs only last for a month and they need remixes or roadmixes to reheat them.....i call songs now a days MICROWAVE SONGS because they always get reheated with remixes all like 5 6 7 8 remixes a year.. just to keep them warm or hot....

DJTonyTempo

Member Since 1998
I must chime in on this!

As a remixer/dj, the remix adds flavor to the track. When i go to a club, I really don't want to hear the original track cause i can hear that on the radio. Boring!!!!!

When the DJ drops the remix, the place gets hyped. So that's what I do whenever I play. Remix for so!

As for Roadmixes. That's what it is a ROADMix. Something different when you are playing on a truck. Some DJ's play on the road like they play in the club, mixing so quickly. The reveller's want to get on Wotless when on d road. But when u rinsing chunes so fast, how can they enjoy the road?

Roadmixes like El A Kru - Expose, Destra - It's Carnival. If you played the original on the road, you are NOT going to get the hype like those roadmixes.

So as u can see, i disagree with this subject.

JAM CREW

Producer
I must chime in on this!

As a remixer/dj, the remix adds flavor to the track. When i go to a club, I really don't want to hear the original track cause i can hear that on the radio. Boring!!!!!

When the DJ drops the remix, the place gets hyped. So that's what I do whenever I play. Remix for so!

As for Roadmixes. That's what it is a ROADMix. Something different when you are playing on a truck. Some DJ's play on the road like they play in the club, mixing so quickly. The reveller's want to get on Wotless when on d road. But when u rinsing chunes so fast, how can they enjoy the road?

Roadmixes like El A Kru - Expose, Destra - It's Carnival. If you played the original on the road, you are NOT going to get the hype like those roadmixes.

So as u can see, i disagree with this subject.

so let me ask you something now....before it was remixes and roadmixes...back in the 80s and 90s.... did the DJs have to play track after track and still the crowd get hyped?????? today music is like MICROWAVE/FAST FOOD SONGS they need remixes and roadmixes to keep them HOT....no way back in the 80s and 90s they had to do roadmixes or remixes for songs....because those songs had long life....DJs only gotta drop the heavy hitting songs and folks go crazy.....so that could show you that the songs of today only have a 6 month lasting period.....i bet if you buss super blue square one....old krosfyah original burning flames.... roy cape with nigel lewis and marvin......you would see people go crazy because those songs still got life.

Last edited:

DJTonyTempo

Member Since 1998
so let me ask you something now....before it was remixes and roadmixes...back in the 80s and 90s.... did the DJs have to play track after track and still the crowd get hyped?????? today music is like MICROWAVE/FAST FOOD SONGS they need remixes and roadmixes to keep them HOT....no way back in the 80s and 90s they had to do roadmixes or remixes for songs....because those songs had long life....DJs only gotta drop the heavy hitting songs and folks go crazy.....so that could show you that the songs of today only have a 6 month lasting period.....i bet if you buss super blue square one....old krosfyah original burning flames.... roy cape with nigel lewis and marvin......you would see people go crazy because those songs still got life.
Well back in the 80's & 90's DJ's used to play the chunes. Nowaday's people have ADHD and get bored quickly in d club's. Also, some soca dj's play like dey running a dancehall session Rinsing chunes real fast. One verse and dun!
So how can a song have life with that going on? This is where a remix comes in. If done right!

If a remix and roadmix have flavour to it, it makes the song more hype.

Some islands don't deal with remixes or roadmixes and some like Trini, St. Vincent, B'Dos like them. It's all about where u from and how' it's done. Me i grew up in NY so remixes are my thing.

Boooooooom! Bless

warrior

Well back in the 80's & 90's DJ's used to play the chunes. Nowaday's people have ADHD and get bored quickly in d club's. Also, some soca dj's play like dey running a dancehall session Rinsing chunes real fast. One verse and dun!
So how can a song have life with that going on? This is where a remix comes in. If done right!

If a remix and roadmix have flavour to it, it makes the song more hype.

Some islands don't deal with remixes or roadmixes and some like Trini, St. Vincent, B'Dos like them. It's all about where u from and how' it's done. Me i grew up in NY so remixes are my thing.

Boooooooom! Bless

Well this was not the line I was going down but...
In the 80s, 90s the songs went somewhere, they lyrics told a story and the instrumental when somewhere so you would want to hear the whole song not true now. Also with riddims it is kind of hard to play five 4 min songs in full on the same riddim. Even so I and most soca fans like to hear at least 2 vs and a chorus.

Now back to my original point. It cost money to create a roadmix. Now unless you are making MORE money because of the roadmix than you would without making the roadmix it is a waste of money period. Advantage has a road mix but it would of won anyway, is the road mix playing more than the original or are both getting played?

Look at my 2 examples of remixes, one put the song in a different genre so the artist will get more exposure to different crowds. The 2nd brought new life to the song so Go Down is getting much more plays now than other Crop Over 2010 songs.

Now tell me unless your are going a roadmix for creative reasons what is the financial benfits of putting out a roadmix, especially when your song will likly win roadmarch anyway?

Santana

Doing Mafia Training
Roadmixes were originally for the road so that instead of a dj creatively extening a hot song it simply played long enough for the masquraders to enjoy. Nowadays these mixes are a fashion