Recipe Thread

ok here we go

well i did the stew chicken and tht came out perfecto..... thanks to u guys..
now can someone give me the recipe for callaloo.. thanks in advance...

Dougla Ting

Happily Ever After
well i know there's many different ways to make callaloo but here's mine...

Ingredients
callaloo/dasheen bush (you can use spinach as a substitute)
okra
pumpkin
onions
tomatoes
minced garlic
green & red peppers
1 scotch bonnet pepper
1 can of coconut milk
Golden Ray cooking butter
seasonings (which ever ones you prefer to use)

Preparation
Let me just say that I don't usually use any type of exact measurements, I just use my judgement...

1. Chop up callaloo bush (you can cut up and use the stalk if you want or throw it away), okra, pumpkin, onions, tomatoes, garlic, and sweet peppers.

2. In large pot, add can of coconut milk and half can of water. Bring to a boil and add chopped veggies (all except callaloo bush and okra). Add scotch bonnet pepper and golden ray butter. Season to taste. For added flavor I usually add smoked turkey neck. This would require about an additional half hour of cooking time.

3. Add callaloo bush and okra. Continue to cook on low fire and stir regularly until all veggies are soft and the callaloo has a thick gooey consistency. Check scotch bonnet pepper regularly to make sure it doesn't burst. If it does, remove immediately. You can add water if needed.

4. When callaloo is done remove scotch bonnet pepper. You can use a swizzle stick to further blend callaloo or use a hand blender or regular blender to make it as thick or soupy as you want. If you used the smokey turkey neck, remove before blending and add when finished.

Last edited:

Dougla Ting

Happily Ever After
Okay so here is what my book has:

Makes approx 1 cup:

1 1/2 cup coarsley cut chive
1/3 cup coarsley cut parsley
1/3 cup coarsley chopped chadon beni
4 cloves garlic
2-3 tbsp water

Put all ingredients in food processor or electric blender and process until very fine or pureed. Refrigerate and use within one week. For keeping longer, substitute 1 tblsp water for 1 tblsp vinegar.
i like the ingredients in your recipe better.

Bizzie Chic

Reppin' TnT
For callaloo:
frozen spinach
okra
pumpkin (optional)
garlic crabs from the seafood section in your supermarket or seafood restaurant (or your choice of meat)
margarine
coconut milk
seasoning to taste
whole pepper for flavor

Directions-
Melt margarine in pot
Add spinach and pumpkin (if you choose) this will melt in the pot
Add coconut milk, pepper, cover pot and simmer
Once cooked and the callaloo is a nice consistency, add garlic crabs (this adds a nice salt\garlic flavor to the callaloo)
Add a little water if needed
Cover pot and simmer for a couple minutes.

Whalaa!! You are done...enjoy.

P.S. with the frozen spinach, it melts in the pot and there is no need for swizzling or puree.

Cookies & Cream

positive vibes...........
i like the ingredients in your recipe better.

Hell, so do I. I need to make some seasoning this weekend so I'll try 1tg's recipe. I never thought of using the colored peppers and the cubanelles will really give it a nicer flavor.

I make my callaloo the way you make yours except for the tomatoes.

S

sebas4920

my recipe for callaloo given to me by a chinese trinidadian "from the bush" is almost the same, but it starts with some bacon cooked in the pot, then some garlicand onion, then the celery, okra and pumpkin callaloo coconut milk, and then crab

Last edited:

Bizzie Chic

Reppin' TnT
Chinese Style chicken (Trini style)

Chicken-
whole chicken cut in two halves
dry rub season only-seasoned salt, 5 star chinese seasoning, salt and pepper
Ginger
**Season and set overnight**

Sauce-
oyster sauce
corn starch
chinese seasoning

Deep fry chicken
Let cool, then chop up chicken into smaller pieces
In another pot add, oyster sauce and corn starch
Let it boil into a thick sauce
Add chicken pieces and simmer
Garnish with freshly chopped chives

The seasoning is what gives you the chinese flavor, I get mine from Trinidad even the oyster sauce. Add salt and oyster sauce to taste because it can get salty.
I usually half the chicken in the sauce, some will be just fried and the other in sauce.

Caribsun

SocaLuvinYardieGyal
Salmon Croquettes (not exactly island-style cooking, but it helps when hungry and in a pinch).

1 can of red salmon (u can use pink, but I always prefer red)
1 egg beaten
scallion or small onion(chopped), small bell pepper (finely chopped) (either or both)
salt/pepper (1/4 tsp).
dill weed (tsp. of dry dill weed)
white potato
cornmeal or fish fry mix
Canola or Olive oil (I use Canola)

boil and mash potato (let cool)

drain and skin salmon from can (remove round bones...others aren't harmful)
mix salmon, scallion or onion, bell pepper, salt, pepper, beaten egg
add mashed potato.

Pick up mixture in a spoon and form patties
coat patties in cornmeal/fish fry mixture (i love the ones from Rex Foods out of New Orleans (Welcome to Rex Fine Foods), or Sylvia's Fish Fry mix).

fry in oil

Serve with tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, and with any side you want (veggies, rice, plantains, etc.).

Last edited:

Dougla Ting

Happily Ever After
Chinese Style chicken (Trini style)

Chicken-
whole chicken cut in two halves
dry rub season only-seasoned salt, 5 star chinese seasoning, salt and pepper
Ginger
**Season and set overnight**

Sauce-
oyster sauce
corn starch
chinese seasoning

Deep fry chicken
Let cool, then chop up chicken into smaller pieces
In another pot add, oyster sauce and corn starch
Let it boil into a thick sauce
Add chicken pieces and simmer
Garnish with freshly chopped chives

The seasoning is what gives you the chinese flavor, I get mine from Trinidad even the oyster sauce. Add salt and oyster sauce to taste because it can get salty.
I usually half the chicken in the sauce, some will be just fried and the other in sauce.
Thank you! what is chinese seasoning? there's a store down here that sells all authentic chinese products i'm sure they will have it there, i just need to know what to look for.

Bizzie Chic

Reppin' TnT
Thank you! what is chinese seasoning? there's a store down here that sells all authentic chinese products i'm sure they will have it there, i just need to know what to look for.
It looks like vetsin but brown in color. The packet says "chinese seasoning" Ask for chinese seasoning for poultry...I am sure they will know what you are talking about :D

trinidarkie

I have a recipe question. If an appetizer recipe says serves 6, how many appetizers per person can I expect. e.g accra or pholourie or something like that.

1trini-gyal

if ah rude ah rude
What I use is 5 spice seasoning..i think dat is de name...

I find it's much cheaper to buy in Trinidad though...a little pack for $1 or $2 TT...I have seen it hear for a little bottle for $5-$6

Dougla Ting

Happily Ever After
It looks like vetsin but brown in color. The packet says "chinese seasoning" Ask for chinese seasoning for poultry...I am sure they will know what you are talking about :D
another thing.. do u leave the skin on the chicken when u deep frying it?

Dougla Ting

Happily Ever After
What I use is 5 spice seasoning..i think dat is de name...

I find it's much cheaper to buy in Trinidad though...a little pack for $1 or $2 TT...I have seen it hear for a little bottle for $5-$6
i'll look for it when i go to the chinese store this weekend. they have tons of chinese cooking products.

Caribsun

SocaLuvinYardieGyal
Just made DT's tilapia/zuchinni dish again....I love it!!:good: if anyone has more fish recipes...please post.

Bizzie Chic

Reppin' TnT
Corn Bread Pudding

1 can corn (drained)
1 can creamed corn
1 box cornbread mix
2 eggs
1 stick of butter (melted)
1 cup of sour cream

Mix all ingredients and add to a greased baking dish.
Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes (or test for firmness)
Add shredded cheese on top 10 minutes before dish is finished

Enjoy!!!