Recipe Thread

stew chicken

i knw this maybe easy to some folks... but for some reason my stew chicken never comes out right.. can someone please give me the recipe for making stew chicken... thanks a lot in advance..

Bizzie Chic

Reppin' TnT
i knw this maybe easy to some folks... but for some reason my stew chicken never comes out right.. can someone please give me the recipe for making stew chicken... thanks a lot in advance..
I do it the old fashion way buy burning/browning the sugar:

-season chicken to taste
-in a pot add slight oil just to cover base
-once oil is hot add 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar (it can be white or brown sugar. Do not heap the sppon)
-let the sugar burn and dissolve in the pot (this determines the color of your stew)
-once the sugar starts bubbling, throw in chicken (be careful because melted sugar burns bad)
-turn chicken to get coating over it
-add little water to pot for chicken to cook and get gravy
-add seasoning, pepper and salt to taste
-when chicken is almost cooked add, tomato chunks, sliced onions and fresh herbs like chives and parsley (i add mine late because I do not like melted mushy tomatoes)

Enjoy!!

I do it the old fashion way buy burning/browning the sugar:

-season chicken to taste
-in a pot add slight oil just to cover base
-once oil is hot add 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar (it can be white or brown sugar. Do not heap the sppon)
-let the sugar burn and dissolve in the pot (this determines the color of your stew)
-once the sugar starts bubbling, throw in chicken (be careful because melted sugar burns bad)
-turn chicken to get coating over it
-add little water to pot for chicken to cook and get gravy
-add seasoning, pepper and salt to taste
-when chicken is almost cooked add, tomato chunks, sliced onions and fresh herbs like chives and parsley (i add mine late because I do not like melted mushy tomatoes)

thanks... i will try it again this weekend......wht do u mean by heap the spoon.

Bizzie Chic

Reppin' TnT
thanks... i will try it again this weekend......wht do u mean by heap the spoon.[/QUOTE]

like not a big scoup to where there is a lump of sugar...a leveled spoon of sugar.

1trini-gyal

if ah rude ah rude
I also use the brown sugar method for making stew chicken...my daughter grandmother is Jamaican...they make it a little different and so I switch it up sometimes...

Season yuh chicken as normal. In a wide, deep frying pan put some oil. Once the oil is hot put the chicken in to brown. Brown on each side. Drain out most of the oil. return pan to stove. Throw in some onion, garlic, thyme, tomato, I even know some folks that throw in some potato or dumplin, scotch bonnet pepper, allspice, a little mushroom soy sauce if you have. Cook down on low to medium heat. I will usually make that with the ja rice and peas and some cabbage with mixed vegetables and some fried plantain.

Dougla Ting

Happily Ever After
I also use the brown sugar method for making stew chicken...my daughter grandmother is Jamaican...they make it a little different and so I switch it up sometimes...

Season yuh chicken as normal. In a wide, deep frying pan put some oil. Once the oil is hot put the chicken in to brown. Brown on each side. Drain out most of the oil. return pan to stove. Throw in some onion, garlic, thyme, tomato, I even know some folks that throw in some potato or dumplin, scotch bonnet pepper, allspice, a little mushroom soy sauce if you have. Cook down on low to medium heat. I will usually make that with the ja rice and peas and some cabbage with mixed vegetables and some fried plantain.
my friend's mom used to make stew chicken with dumplin but she used to make the dumplin separately on the side. i love it! i think i'm making some this week yes.

Dougla Ting

Happily Ever After
btw- if you find that the gravy/sauce in the stew chicken is too thin, you can add a little coconut milk or creamed coconut to thicken it.

S

sebas4920

I used fresh atlantic cod and this turned out great.... I used malanga/coco yam.

Fish Cakes

Ingredients
½ lb cooked fish
¼ to ½ lb cooked yams, mashed
½ oz margarine
1 tbsp chopped eschallot and celery
Pepper and salt
Lemon juice
Pinch of nutmeg or mace
1 egg (for coating)
1 egg (to bind)
Dried bread crumbs
Preparation

* Remove the skin and bones from the fish and break up the remainder finely.
* Add the yam, eschallot, celery, salt, pepper, lemon juice and nutmeg.
* Add margarine to the mixture, with enough egg to bind it together.
* Turn onto a floured board. Shape into a neat roll and cut into 6 equal portions.
* Reshape the slices into neat, flat, round cakes.
* Coat the cakes with the beaten egg or batter and dried bread crumbs.
* Fry in oil and drain well when golden brown.
* Serve garnished with fried parsley.

i just want to thank everyone for the ideas on making stew chicken... i did it this pass sunday and it turned out very good for a change.....;)

a little more practice and i should be perfecto....

Caribsun

SocaLuvinYardieGyal
I thought it would be a good idea for us to share recipes. I'm always looking for new and exciting dishes to make. Last night I made some curry talapia and zucchini in coconut sauce and it turned out really good so I thought I'd share my recipe. btw- talapia is a fish that is usually cut into fillets. I'm not sure how available talapia is where you live. I actually never heard of it until I moved to Miami. But I think any type of fillet fish would work as long as it's not too soft so it won't break apart too easily.

I used 8 fillets for this recipe.

Ingredients
-Talapia or other fillet fish
-Zucchini or other vegetable of choice
-Seasonings- curry powder, geerah (cumin), green seasoning, garlic powder or finely minced garlic, Adobo, Lawry's, black pepper, pepper sauce. You can use any of your favorite seasonings.
-Olive Oil
- 1 cup of coconut milk (give or take depending on the amount of fish you're making. As long as it is enough to cover the fish in the pan)
- 2 cups of rice

Preparation
1. Clean and season fish to taste. Use olive oil with seasoning

2. Dice zucchini into medium size pieces.

3. Heat a large sauce pan at medium temperature.

4. Add geerah to pan (don't use any oil). Stir geerah until you smell the strong aroma but do not burn it.

5. Add coconut milk to pan and stir. You can add more curry and a little more seasoning.

6. Add zucchini to pan and stir. Remove zucchini after about 5 minutes or until it is tender not soft) but still crispy. Leave the sauce in the pan

7. Add fillets to sauce and cook all the way thru until done. Add more coconut milk if needed.

8. Combine, fillets, zucchini and sauce in one dish and serve over rice.

Enjoy!
I cooked this last night and will try it tonight. I tweeked it by using some red pepper flakes along with other seasoning...dill weed was my "green seasoning." I also added Thai fish sauce after adding the coconut milk to the pan. I used all purpose seasoning (some cajan/creole stuff I bought in New Orleans), tumeric (sp), and some cumin. I used yellow and green zuchinni. I'll make some basmati rice and fry some plantains tonight and try. I tasted the sauce and it was on point last night.

Thanks for this recipe DT! I'll look for one and post one up this weekend.

Caribsun

SocaLuvinYardieGyal
I make potato salad with the small red ones. I usually prefer to use them in the summer and use no mayo.
Just boil, add kosher salt, pepper, red onions, scallions, peppers (different colors) some olive oil and a bit of lemon juice. It's really tasty.
I prefer making potato salad this way..much healthier....thanks for the reminder on this twist to potato salad.

Dougla Ting

Happily Ever After
I cooked this last night and will try it tonight. I tweeked it by using some red pepper flakes along with other seasoning...dill weed was my "green seasoning." I also added Thai fish sauce after adding the coconut milk to the pan. I used all purpose seasoning (some cajan/creole stuff I bought in New Orleans), tumeric (sp), and some cumin. I used yellow and green zuchinni. I'll make some basmati rice and fry some plantains tonight and try. I tasted the sauce and it was on point last night.

Thanks for this recipe DT! I'll look for one and post one up this weekend.
oooo dat sounds soo good.. i want some!

Cookies & Cream

positive vibes...........
Ok so this is not a dish but I just made it and thought I should share my "recipe"

Shadobene/Lime Pepper Sauce:

Ingredients
Hot Peppers ( I use scotch bonnet)
1/4 cup of white vinegar
1/2 of lime
3 shadobene leaves
3/4 cup of hot water
yellow mustard

Prep
wash and remove stalks from the peppers
coarsely chop the lime & shadobene leaves
put all ingredients in a blender and pulse to desired consistency.
add mustard to taste.
store in a glass jar in the refrigerator.

Enjoy!

Dougla Ting

Happily Ever After
Ok so this is not a dish but I just made it and thought I should share my "recipe"

Shadobene/Lime Pepper Sauce:

Ingredients
Hot Peppers ( I use scotch bonnet)
1/4 cup of white vinegar
1/2 of lime
3 shadobene leaves
3/4 cup of hot water
yellow mustard

Prep
wash and remove stalks from the peppers
coarsely chop the lime & shadobene leaves
put all ingredients in a blender and pulse to desired consistency.
add mustard to taste.
store in a glass jar in the refrigerator.

Enjoy!
i've been looking for a good pepper sauce recipe. i'll try this one. do you have one for green seasoning? i usually get it from family in trinidad but when i run out i just buy the chief green seasoning.

Kia_Free

West Indian Pumpkin Soup!!! Great appetizer

2 lbs cooking pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons oil
1 large Spanish onion, chopped
1 scotch bonnet pepper or habanero pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons snipped fresh thyme
2 teaspoons orange zest
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
6 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (aka pepitas; optional; for garnish)

Cookies & Cream

positive vibes...........
i've been looking for a good pepper sauce recipe. i'll try this one. do you have one for green seasoning? i usually get it from family in trinidad but when i run out i just buy the chief green seasoning.
I do have one. I only get the trini-made seasoning once a yr and I get so damn excited I put that in everything and next thing you know, it's done! I don't like the one they sell in the stores at all.

Shadobene
Hot Peppers (2)
Garlic
Ginger
Thyme
Salt (just about a teaspoon or so depending on how much you're making)

I blend all of these with water. I add the onions and scallions when I'm seasoning the meat because I noticed if I blend it with all the other ingredients, the seasoning goes bad really quickly.

If you can find the thyme from back home, that would add a lot of flavor to it as well. Unfortunately, where I live now, that's not even an option.

1trini-gyal

if ah rude ah rude
Well I have been tempted to do the chief thing but I believe it has msg and dat what makes me leave it on de shelf.

My green seasoning sometimes switches up...but generally I put in:

Chadon benni
Cilantro
lots of garlic
Thyme
Chive (if ah have)
Scotch bonnet
Cubanelle pepper (if ah have)
Green Red or Yellow Pepper (sometimes a little of each...I like de added flavor and color)
Scallion
Onion

Now I basically run through de vegetable market and get everything I can or feel like for the day...so on any given day it can change..

I also tip a little vinegar in it to preserve it and a little kosher salt for some extra flavor. I use my green seasoning on EVERYTHING!!!!

My cookbook is in the car but I know they have a much simpler recipe for their own they use less stuff...when I bring it inside I will come back and post their recipe in the thread as well.

Let me know what you end up using and how it comes out. :good:

1trini-gyal

if ah rude ah rude
Okay so here is what my book has:

Makes approx 1 cup:

1 1/2 cup coarsley cut chive
1/3 cup coarsley cut parsley
1/3 cup coarsley chopped chadon beni
4 cloves garlic
2-3 tbsp water

Put all ingredients in food processor or electric blender and process until very fine or pureed. Refrigerate and use within one week. For keeping longer, substitute 1 tblsp water for 1 tblsp vinegar.