PICTURES: The Kenyan Middle Class

dollbabi

Earth Angel
Images from Africa in the Western media show mostly terrible misery, war, hunger and poverty. According to UN figures more than ninety percent of all Africans live neither in war nor crisis-​areas and the economic growth of some African countries is among the largest in the world.

Kenya‘s economic growth is annually between five and six percent which is three times higher than the growth in Germany. This is above all to the credit of the middle class, which is probably the most crucial potential for the development of the country. Nevertheless you hardly notice anything about the lives of african middle class people. We traveled to the capital city of Kenya, Nairobi to meet and create a portray of people belonging to the middle class.

The Forgotten - Hahn+Hartung

Eastlands, Nairobi.

Mwongera, Danika Ethan and Gabby. Mwongera is a Businessman.Danika is a home maker.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
More...

Joseph. Lawyer and owner of an organic restaurant in the center of Nairobi.

Ayanda and Anele.

George Evans. Security guard. He also takes care of the plants in that row house estate.

Lewis. Architecture student. His girlfriend was pregnant and he was looking for an apartment to move in with his new family.

Boniface. Political activist and photojournalist. In 2010 he won the CNN Award „Africas photojournalist of the year“.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
More...

Thomas. Security Guard in a famous nightclub, K1.

Mawazo. Editor at the UP Magazine, Nairobi‘s only magazine for arts, youth– and popculture.

Guests at a wedding.

Luseno. Interior Designer.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
them is middle class ? with 1970's decor? outdated crap? them look like poor in America
Read the first post. Does that look like misery, war, hunger and poverty? Often the Western media gives only certain pictures of the African continent when there is much more of the above that people would imagine...

If that is too difficult for you to grasp, then this thread is too much for you.

Read the first post. Does that look like misery, war, hunger and poverty? Often the Western media gives only certain pictures of the African continent when there is much more of the above that people would imagine...

If that is too difficult for you to grasp, then this thread is too much for you.
do you want the media to go in the 1970's living room to tape what? as opposed to a war or conflict? the media just doing their job.

Poca

I know the intent was a good one however, I don't like threads like these. As if it's expected that everyone is certain countries have to be dirt poor and living on foreign "aid".

dollbabi

Earth Angel
I know the intent was a good one however, I don't like threads like these. As if it's expected that everyone is certain countries have to be dirt poor and living on foreign "aid".
Which is why sites and threads like these exist, as an attempt to dispel that type of thought. But I suppose some people will always see what they want to see.

Poca

I hear you, the same way those same people know that not everyone in the west living like Hollywood stars the same way they should know that not everyone is poor.

To me, that have these beliefs because it makes them feel good/accomplished/better etc.

Which is why sites and threads like these exist, as an attempt to dispel that type of thought. But I suppose some people will always see what they want to see.

Taj

Loyalty to Loyalty
i did start the thread like DUH

then i remembered my shock hearing Haiti was hosting some conference or the other. like 10 secs later i was like u dummy stop it

Poca

Don't get me wrong, I'm condoning people living in shameful opulence and decadence while most of the other folks are only dreaming about something to put in their mouth. But I find it hard to believe in this day and age that some are surprised that I. Less fortunate countries there are people who manage to make a decent living for their family.

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
Don't get me wrong, I'm condoning people living in shameful opulence and decadence while most of the other folks are only dreaming about something to put in their mouth. But I find it hard to believe in this day and age that some are surprised that I. Less fortunate countries there are people who manage to make a decent living for their family.
Especially since this is the information age.