Nigger

dredgal

Professional Peeper
I am reading the book Nigger by Randall Kennedy and I wanted to know how many of you use this word?

Has this word ever been used against you by another race?

Should everybody keep their mouths shut when it comes to the N-word, or do we need to talk about it and say it -- including White people --to take the sting out of it?

My Story:
The first and only time the word was used against me by a white person was in High School in Pennslyvania. The Rodney King Tape was in News headlines and our Social Studies Teacher wanted to discuss the tape in class. Most of my white classmates thought Rodney deserved his beatings and unfortunately 2 of the 3 blacks in the class including me was in defense. The 1 black person who had nothing to say was the football star of the school and was real friendly with our white counterparts. Anyway, the argument started with Rodney then ended if Blacks want to be so intergrated why have black TV channels, magazines, schools, etc. I personally got very frustrated with this one classmate (italian) comments that we were literally in each others face. By the time the bell rang for the end of the class my Italian "friend" called me an ignorant F**king Nigger, spit and all in my face. Those words hurt so bad I was frozen with tears pouring down my eyes.

sanfranjouvay

So finish the story please...you beat the ##### out of him or the teacher got him expelled?

I use it loosely when i'm with one of my ghetto fab american fellas.:eek: . Maybe that could be the bookclub read??

S

STICKMAN

Yea i do use that word unfortunately.. it just rolls off my tongue in general conversation when i am refering to friends and stuff, like "yo dats my N" or "i dunno whats wrong with dat N." I keep saying that i will make a conscious effort to stop using it but it has become a habbit..
Well at college, i was part of a club called the African Students Union and we tried to get each other out of the habbit of using that word... I dont know if you people are familiar with this game called Bad Habbit, its a kids game where you make a rule such as not allowing the other kids to say something or do something and if someone does it everyone who is in the game surrounds the offender and pounds on him until he says BAD HABBIT.. Well that is how we tried to break each other out of using the N word... we disallowed anyone from saying it and whoever did got pounded on by everyone until he screamed badhabbit...

I was called a N by a white boy... this was back in 1989 when Canarsie used to be all white, and my little league team had a game over there. We were in a feild practicing and these two older white boys walked by, one making faces at me and animal sounds and the other said leave him alone, then the other one said "NO HEs A NIGGER"
I just brushed it off at the time, but when i think back i get mad at myself for not reacting...

That story you posted dredgal.. did that happen to you or was that a story from the book... I hope it wasn't you and you let him get away with that... cause at the highschool age i would not be brushing something like that off, their would have definately been violence

UpTown

We Not I
If it was me , I would be still kicking his a$$....trust me , nobody spitting in my face and walking away unhurt , they would be living with the birds .

lordsalt

Take Kaiso In Yuh Mouth!!
damn sis. sorry u had 2 xperience that ordeal. when i finish build my time machine we'll go back 2 that day and i'll make him apologize.

but i've been called nigger a few times. last time was high school (at least that i heard). these dayz i hear a lot races that r'nt black callin each otha nigger. now that u mention it on teen summit not 2 long ago i caught a special about the word nigger. some arguments were that the word is now universal in terms that it crossed over where every1 is sayin it and not necessarily referrin 2 black ppl. they even broke it down 2 the spellin like 'nigga' as opposed to 'nigger' which seems more offensive. cant rememba all the details cuz i was 1/2 wake and 1/2 sleep, but nonetheless the word has been on the mouths of generations 4 years so it will almost be impossible 2 banish or stop sayin the word. especially as we as ppl keep saying it and racism xists.

salt

dredgal

Professional Peeper
Vincy,
That incident happened to me my junior year of high school. I was really hurt that I didn't reply to the girl who said it to me. I just went home early and slept it off but she and the 90% of the whites got real pressha for the next month. By the time school was out the 3% black population heard what happened and there was about 3 fights that broke out a lot af verbal bashing on both sides. I got real support from my black classmates but no one touched the girl because everyone knew that her family was playing the Sopranos.

Yeah ... I remember when you was chased out of Canarsie....real trouble ... Well since I went to JHS in Bensonhurst... (what was meh MUM thinking).... I knew the word nigger alot .. (As well as Hershey..Coon ..proch monkey...) as you can see I got into a couple of fights ... you know it was real trouble during Halloween when the kids from New Uetrick..came to chase the niggers out of thier nieghborhood..Anyway I was glad to come back to stinking dutty Tilden to go to High school...Do I use it yeah with my American friends mostly.. should I probulary not... The funny thing about White people when they use the word nigger they think nothing is wrong with it.. I remember they used to say well u guys call each other nigger... I also remember beating up a kid in front of his mother because he kep calling me a Hershey.. and you know what the messed thing was .. the guidance counselor made it seem as it was my fault that i taunted him to call me a hershey again because i said " Call me a hershey again and see wha happen to yuh"... Ah tell yuh racism is a bit@#... he did not even address the comment.. look meh getting upset again...let meh stop and go back to wuk....

Panman06

Old School Member
Similar incident(s) have happened to me. I grew up in Canarsie. Me and a couple of other fellas went riding around one summer on bikes, in the back of Kings Plaza. To make a long story short, Some white dude drove his car on the sidewalk and pulled out a 45 magnum and said "You's don't belong in this neighbahood. Get the Fcuk out".

Unfortunately, because I grew up out there, I have about four to five more stories like this one.

S

STICKMAN

Yup, there definately was a time canarsie was not safe for non Caucasions, but in a matter of 5 years or so, things changed in that neighborhood dramatically... I can hardly find a white face when i am in that neighborhood.. But they sure still clinging on to Bensonhurst, they aint lettin dat go fuh nuttin.. Remember Yusef Hawkins?

lisha

The origin of the word is meant to oppress the blacks, but it jus happen that "ppl" commonly used as a slang. I haven't read the book but, the author is a very prominent man. I have read articles about him and his beliefs. As a matter of fact he was saying that the word itself has to stop. Not just the whites, but the blacks. There some type of controvery over ebonics being considered in english class and such. well.. anyways he felt that blacks should not use this word, b/c it would hold them down in lata years. I think he meant that if a prominent black and white man are conversating and the black man calls the white nigga, the white man would feel almost superior and uncomfortable to him because of the origin of the word. Sometimes we have to "talk the talk" to get critical points across. maybe im wrong.....

RotiKing2004eva

I don't use the Nigger or the Nigga words any more, used to when i was in high school, but then stopped to think about it...it's cool when i was in trinidad i think because i never understood it being racist (or maybe i was too young to realize it was ignorant), but i don't use it any more. it's a cuss word for me...(i don't cuss)

RenzePenze

Shitsuren Kyuka
It's funny that this post is here at this time. I just return from Port-of Spain wit my mother. She shopping to send back tings wit me and we was trying to tief a quick park in town. With the kidnappings going on I guess people kinda stupid cause as we coming out of the car this Indian man decides to look at my mother and tell her that "they just kidnap another on. We effing niggers only kidnapping indians. We need to go back where we effing come from before he have to tek a tun in we effing ass". Now my mother is usually the one to walk away from something like dis. but... hmm.. de hurt mek she inform the man that they only kidnapping people wit money so that mean since he out here cussing that he and she in the same boat(these were not her exact words but i ent wah to put it)

Imagine i used to live in Alabama and I never hear nobody call me a nigger but i here in "sweet" Trinbago and I get cuss for being black.

There's nuttin like home sweet home.

ichard

socacds.com
I dont use the word nigger, and when persons use it around me in conversation, it stings my ears and it stands out so clear. I dont tink using it in normal conversation with your black or white friends is progressive. I acutally think its regressing and trivializing a serious current situation is not a good mind state to be in. Im talking mumble jumble, but i dont like to hear the word.

I've never been called one by another race to my face.

Can you give some feedback on the book? Is it good?

P

prettidolli16t

Prettidolli

That word implies IGNORANCE and I/my family/my friends simply do not use it. It especially disturbs me to hear West Indians use it b/c we are the first to talk about how we are "so different" from Americans, etc.. I wish it could be simply expelled from our vocabulary and forgotten forever, but alas, that in itself is wishful thinking...