New Caribbean Writer

sanfranjouvay

OK, it's blistering hot out here and i spent the weekend reading, looking for a good party (even tried doing hotwire on saturday to get to NY), and waiting waiting waiting patiently for d'bandit to come on. Anyway, i wanted to let you all know that a new Caribbean voice is about to drop his first book in October. His name is Selwyn Hinds and we went to high school in Guyana together and now I only run into him at Socafest in Miami. He was the original editor of the Source and started 360hiphop.com with Russel Simmons. The book is called Gunshots in my Cookup and is due to come out in October. When the book club takes off we can read it and have him log on to chat with us.

topclassbubbla

Hey thanks for the info....I've been trying to find some new Caribbean authors.

[font color = blue][font size = 4] Caribbean AIDS Walk
SUNDAY JULY 14
Brooklyn, NY
Contact 718-485-6518 (Ann Marie)
www.newworldcreations.org
[/font]

Darkman

Thanx for the info. i know him from the source and some other writings. Can't wait for the book. You should try, don't laugh, "The Midnight Robbber" by Nalo Hopkinson. I just re-read it. A Caribbean Sci-fi with tastes of different superstitions from the islands.

cunchreegal

Alliance mih seh!!!!
THANKS FOR DEY INFO SANFRAN. I GO MAKE SURE I LOOK FOR HIM. ROBBER I GONNA LOOK FOR DAT BOOK TO. ITS SOUND REAL INTERESTING :D

sanfranjouvay

I'll go look for her books. I remember reading a good write up on her. She's lives in Toronto right? I don't think i've ever read a sci-fi before. Maybe i'll check the library today and cool out cause we having a heat wave!!

Another really young Guyanese-American writer: Russel Rickford. Already won an American book award for Spoken Soul: the Story of Black English (hot during the ebonics debate) and is on the last chapters of a biography of Betty Shabazz.