Light Girls

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
Oh i wasn't dismissing their pain at all....i guess, the Dark Girls show was only one hour, this one was two hours and it seemed to go intp more historical and psychological depth than dark girls...which made it easier to empathize with their pain, meanwhile dark girls just made us seem bitter about our color

I was discussing it on Madame Noire page and it seemed some of the light skinned women couldnt wait to jump out and call dark women bitter and angry and insecure, just for discussing the documentary and obvious things....when one woman said she wished they didn't leave out the light skinned privilege aspect, they jumped down her throat and denied it exists. One woman was saying she dont like Iyanla Vanzant and it was obvious that it was because Iyanla was dark and the poster was light.

When the dark women spoke of how hurtful it was that Black men felt light women were trophies, the light women again went on attack mode and dsmissed the dark women. They were quite shady...
I know you weren't doing it, was speaking to what I saw on social media.

It is STUPID to deny any of it. But people get so caught up in their personal pain, they don't allow them selves to see/hear/listen to what someone else has gone through.

Remember one woman in the documentary talked about every Friday, like clock work...she would be followed into the girl's bathroom, beaten up, and clothes ripped off. She said it got to the point, she wouldn't even use the toilet.

Chante Moore mentioned girls coming at her with scissors threatening to cut her hair off. The visual of a child being encircled with scissors coming at you is cringe worthy.

How can anyone dismiss that???

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
The part that stood out to me was when Michaela Davis said her grandmother had to marry a light skinned man so that her children could LIVE....it was about survival, life and death....i get that....when she said, her grandmother's generation was about LIFE...,her mother's generation was about LIBERTY and this generation is about the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS, that struck me as very profound.

I have a friend that just screened her film about passing. Because she comes from a line of very fair skinned people. Her grandmother was light and looked like Lena Horne and married a white men.....both her daughters married white men as well...we spoken a lot about her family and what it was like for her because my friend identifies as Black but she looks white.,,..not even light skinned, but white....
Yes Michaela's struck me as well. It sent a chill through me when she mentioned how you could disappear in the middle of the night, only to be found swinging from a tree with your genitals stuffed in your mouth.

Being white was the furthest thing from her grandmother's mind.

LIONESS onda RISE

I think the biggest misconception is people assume light skin people are living on easy street. Remember hearing about how light skin dudes had to prove them selves all through school, because the assumption was "He light skin, he ain't gone do sh!t".

If we could just admit all this mess is INSANE.
The bigger misconception is that "light" doesn't equal BLACK! I grew with ehite folks and trust me...it's allll the same!

LIONESS onda RISE

The part that stood out to me was when Michaela Davis said her grandmother had to marry a light skinned man so that her children could LIVE....it was about survival, life and death....i get that....when she said, her grandmother's generation was about LIFE...,her mother's generation was about LIBERTY and this generation is about the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS, that struck me as very profound.

I have a friend that just screened her film about passing. Because she comes from a line of very fair skinned people. Her grandmother was light and looked like Lena Horne and married a white men.....both her daughters married white men as well...we spoken a lot about her family and what it was like for her because my friend identifies as Black but she looks white.,,..not even light skinned, but white....
I'm sorry.. Don't mean to be ignorant but really want to understand.. If marrying "light" meant survival.. Why would her "light" husband marry dark?

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
Think a guy in documentary talked about a family member not even being told she was black. Lived her life as a white woman, married...she found out when she gave birth.

TheEducator

Think a guy in documentary talked about a family member not even being told she was black. Lived her life as a white woman, married...she found out when she gave birth.
Well obviously she wasn't. If you look so white that her own husband can't tell that you're "black" then you aren't black period. You guys sure love to go overboard with the one drop rule. Its disgusting. No other group of people does this. Indians, Chinese, whites etc no other group claims mixed race people. None. Then blacks wonder why they are at the bottom of the totem pole for so long. You guys have no pride.

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
Well obviously she wasn't. If you look so white that her own husband can't tell that you're "black" then you aren't black period. You guys sure love to go overboard with the one drop rule. Its disgusting. No other group of people does this. Indians, Chinese, whites etc no other group claims mixed race people. None. Then blacks wonder why they are at the bottom of the totem pole for so long. You guys have no pride.
She was Black enough that the husband LEFT HER because of how their child looks.....that IS BLACK

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
I'm trying to understand how someone that looks like a white woman can be labeled black.
Lol...its not what you are labeled. Its what you ARE....biracial, mulatto whatever is still Black.

Thing is, she PASSED for white, so she TRIED not to be labeled Black, but her DNA gave her away....the point is, it DOESN'T MATTER how u LOOK, because her looks only got her so far....her DNA can't be hidden and when her baby was born, HER LOOKS MEANT NOTHING

GET IT

TheEducator

Lol...its not what you are labeled. Its what you ARE....biracial, mulatto whatever is still Black.

Thing is, she PASSED for white, so she TRIED not to be labeled Black, but her DNA gave her away....the point is, it DOESN'T MATTER how u LOOK, because her looks only got her so far....her DNA can't be hidden and when her baby was born, HER LOOKS MEANT NOTHING

GET IT
What they are is mulatto/biracial/mixed race not black.

Going by your logic this is a black woman.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
Interesting discussion. Is there somewhere I can view the film online?

I agree with this in general. In fact, Africans generally view being mixed in the same way as the other groups.

It's not as simplistic as you make it though. Whites may not claim mixed people but they are the originators of and even often still perpetuators of the one-drop rule, particularly in the U.S. The U.S. black population, especially AAs, being at the bottom of the totem pole while having some to do with pride, has far more to do with what was endured at the hand of whites. Read. Hell, watch Selma.

Anyway, in my mind, it's beyond that. It's very much about your heritage. Screw the color labels. Do your roots lie in Africa? And no, we are all African stuff. Further, are all or the vast majority of your roots in Africa? If not, you aren't fully African. Insert Asian or any other there. The degree of mixed heritage will vary. Of course, experience shapes perception though so people will differ...

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
Here we go round the mulberry bush
The mulberry bush
The mulberry bush
All day long....:kicks

YOU people are funny. None of what you truly believe is grounded in any DNA, but cloaked in what people look like.

Since it's been established AAs are 20% European, can Bill Duke now run around and call himself mixed, without you same wack jobs jumping up in his face to tell him HELL NO!

How about Angela Bassett?
How about Oprah?
How about FLOTUS (Michelle O.)
How about NikkiG. (Imix)?

When you get to the heart of the matter, you are no different than the good old paper bag test.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
The mulberry bush
The mulberry bush
All day long....:kicks

YOU people are funny. None of what you truly believe is grounded in any DNA, but cloaked in what people look like.

Since it's been established AAs are 20% European, can Bill Duke now run around and call himself mixed, without you same wack jobs jumping up in his face to tell him HELL NO!

How about Angela Bassett?
How about Oprah?
How about FLOTUS (Michelle O.)
How about NikkiG. (Imix)?

When you get to the heart of the matter, you are no different than the good old paper bag test.
Not sure what this is all about. Nothing in my post has anything to do with appearance. My last paragraph specifically deals with heritage.

I don't known any of those peoples' heritages. Why would I tell them anything? Either way identity is up to them.

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
Not sure what this is all about. Nothing in my post has anything to do with appearance. My last paragraph specifically deals with heritage.

I don't known any of those peoples' heritages. Why would I tell them anything? Either way identity is up to them.

My post was addressing the MIS-educator.