Labor day questions

dreadman

i love roti
So I went to nyc for the labor day parade/ Trinidad and Tobago Independence and had a great time!!!!!! I just have a couple of questions if anybody on here can help me out. Why are there no music trucks for Jouvert? and why are bands that do not have costumes allowed to be on the road?

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
So I went to nyc for the labor day parade/ Trinidad and Tobago Independence and had a great time!!!!!! I just have a couple of questions if anybody on here can help me out. Why are there no music trucks for Jouvert? and why are bands that do not have costumes allowed to be on the road?

To elaborate a little more off what HB said….Jouvert just started in NYC in the early 90’s, it came about because of the “ Top Heavy” WIADCA at that time paid little or no money for the participation of Panorama, so a few times in the 80’s and the 90’s they boycotted the Panorama in NYC…..they took to the streets at Parkside and Flatbush and started jamming there…hence the start of it !

In addition to that….they, WIADCA also banned them from the Parkway because they were taking too long to make their way down the Parkway …that is pushing them on the stands…so they said unless you on a truck…you aint coming on the Parkway…. Hence again Jouvert.

“ why are bands that do not have costumes allowed to be on the road “

I will Say it for you…since you scare…or what we call a YellowBelly ! LOL

It is a Parade representing “ All “ of the Caribbean…..not all Islands have the “ Pretty Mas “ like T&T …the Parade reflect the make-up of the W. I. s here……

T&T independence have nothing to do with the “ Labor Day Parade “ …two mutually exclusive event !

BTW, Big-Up to T&T on their 50…..please keep pushing out the “ Top of Toppas “ females….……Love them !

The Jamaicans and the Haitians…..more or less took it over in sheer size and #’s from the mid 90’s to current…..they “ Run It“ ……Manpower and Showmanship !

The Haitians Truck back in the days had like 10k men following the truck…like they going to war chanting….whatever they chanting…a sight to see…priceless !

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
Just so you understand at the Heights of the Greatness on the Parkway....this is what the showmanship was about when Elephantman Locked it down.........

ELEPHANT MAN - WAVE YOUR FLAGS- Eastern Parkway- 2006

Total Unity.....

dreadman

i love roti
I was always taught that the labor day parade originally started out as a Trinidad independence celebration evolving into what it is now. Is there some law or rule preventing music trucks from being on the road during jouvert. Cause, while I was there i saw several push carts which were powered by the Youths!! blazing soca, except for one that caught my attention which was playing Hip Hop. I was totally disgusted by the fact that during jouvert these youths had the audacity to play that,and began to wonder, if there was music trucks on the road like almost every carnival in the caribbean, controlled by soca people we wouldn't have these young people trying to make their own thing blazing american music.

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
I was always taught that the labor day parade originally started out as a Trinidad independence celebration evolving into what it is now. Is there some law or rule preventing music trucks from being on the road during jouvert. Cause, while I was there i saw several push carts which were powered by the Youths!! blazing soca, except for one that caught my attention which was playing Hip Hop. I was totally disgusted by the fact that during jouvert these youths had the audacity to play that,and began to wonder, if there was music trucks on the road like almost every carnival in the caribbean, controlled by soca people we wouldn't have these young people trying to make their own thing blazing american music.

LOL, SMH...I JUST GAVE YOU THE ANSWER !

I WONDER WHY YOU DON’T BELIEVE ME……

Anyway, I will try another way……it first was started in Harlem, I will leave the details for VP and others that like to call it theirs…..but, the Trinis who played mas…I guess couldn’t make it back home to play mas…display their culture, etc ...decided to play mas in NYC…clearly, they can’t do it in February…..outside in NYC, it was indoor…it got big, popular….then they decided to change it to “ labor day “….end of summer in NYC…..after a few years in NYC, Harlem…endless violence, Killings, etc…..the Mayor stopped it. …

68 0r 69….they got a permit to put it in the Greatest City in the World…” Brooklyn “ ….for all who lack or don’t know American History....Brooklyn was a city…. Hence the current form…a “ Parade “ that reflect the make-up of the Caribbean…..

Two separate enity run the Jouvert and the parade......the Jouvert ppl permit is for pan, riddim sections, etc...not music trucks....hope this help !

Re : what you saw..correct, at 4 am who is gonna stop them from doing what they want or playin music in a cart.....the cops had Bigger and more violent issues to deal with...so they got away with it....I say like others...put it in a park or a ground...if you want to go...pay, simple as that !

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
I didn't even know about the indoor part Pineman... I wish I could find pics of that... I did know it was held up in harlem... wat facility housed it?

I didn't know bout the mayor stopping it either...

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
I didn't even know about the indoor part Pineman... I wish I could find pics of that... I did know it was held up in harlem... wat facility housed it?

I didn't know bout the mayor stopping it either...
LOL... I read a lot, plus, I need to be on my " A " at all times !

My uncle took part in it...also, I read a term paper, documented all of it...idk where to find it, but I have it on a harddrive someplace ! .......

I forgot his name....man it was a Big fight when it got to Brooklyn, between this Jamaican DJ, not Gill Bailey....will ask my uncle and Carlos Lezama head of WIADCA ....in back of the museum they had like Reggae artists, Soca artists,etc....so you know how it is going down in the 70's......the fight for control continue until the late 70's or early 80's when the Jamaican promoter said....well, guess who they coming to see.....us, so it took the show out to Queens...hence why you always have that Reggae /Dancehall show now in Roy Wilkins park that weekend.....it was one show back then... Carlos was battling against the Americans..., The Jamaicans, etc....remember back then, MFs had their Big Set ...Sound Systems, playing on Nostrand Ave, New York Ave, Utica.....throw in Rap Music .....so it was a fight....them yutes wanted the rap, the reggae, etc....

they both were hot heads.....the Yardie felt that he was bring the crowd, and Carlos felt like ...yeah....it have to be more Calypso/soca...etc...and he wasn't havng it....very interesting read.....

Carlos was strong arm Venezuelain who wasn't taking no shorts.....he even banned the Pan, Riddim sections from the Parkway...

very interesting read.....

trinifrombx

LOL... I read a lot, plus, I need to be on my " A " at all times !

My uncle took part in it...also, I read a term paper, documented all of it...idk where to find it, but I have it on a harddrive someplace ! .......

I forgot his name....man it was a Big fight when it got to Brooklyn, between this Jamaican DJ, not Gill Bailey....will ask my uncle and Carlos Lezama head of WIADCA ....in back of the museum they had like Reggae artists, Soca artists,etc....so you know how it is going down in the 70's......the fight for control continue until the late 70's or early 80's when the Jamaican promoter said....well, guess who they coming to see.....us, so it took the show out to Queens...hence why you always have that Reggae /Dancehall show now in Roy Wilkins park that weekend.....it was one show back then... Carlos was battling against the Americans..., The Jamaicans, etc....remember back then, MFs had their Big Set ...Sound Systems, playing on Nostrand Ave, New York Ave, Utica.....throw in Rap Music .....so it was a fight....them yutes wanted the rap, the reggae, etc....

they both were hot heads.....the Yardie felt that he was bring the crowd, and Carlos felt like ...yeah....it have to be more Calypso/soca...etc...and he wasn't havng it....very interesting read.....

Carlos was strong arm Venezuelain who wasn't taking no shorts.....he even banded the Pan, Riddim sections from the Parkway...

very interesting read.....

Don't forget too on Eastern Parkway they had music from endless locations competing against the floats. Back then it was no place with Vibes except Brooklyn, no place .

The good olde days, when they would clean up or open the streets at 8 pm, everyone hung out on the Parkway until 11 pm or Midnight !

Geez, what went wrong, the bunch of Lowlives running around now, bitter ass imixers who want wi ting stop on the parkway, losers !

Bitter ass cops who don't want to be there, smh, what went wrong !

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
Music trucks for J'Ouvert????
That would almost defeat the purpose and defile the purity of the event.
I played J'Ouvert in TnT and don't remember music trucks. Did I miss them?

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
Don't forget too on Eastern Parkway they had music from endless locations competing against the floats. Back then it was no place with Vibes except Brooklyn, no place .

The good olde days, when they would clean up or open the streets at 8 pm, everyone hung out on the Parkway until 11 pm or Midnight !

Geez, what went wrong, the bunch of Lowlives running around now, bitter ass imixers who want wi ting stop on the parkway, losers !

Bitter ass cops who don't want to be there, smh, what went wrong !
I remember in the 80swhen trucks woukd come off the Parkway and head back to their mas camps they still had music pumpin from their trucks... I remember I was in my house on East 42nd and D.. a truck comin down Ave D from the Parkway music pumpin.. everyone on the block came out their house and got behind the truck... me caught up in the moment ran out behind the truck too and followed for a few blocks to about Schenectady... after all that I returned home to a beating cause my mother had no idea where I ran off to

dreadman

i love roti
Music trucks for J'Ouvert????
That would almost defeat the purpose and defile the purity of the event.
I played J'Ouvert in TnT and don't remember music trucks. Did I miss them?
Trinidad has dozens of music trucks on d road for jouvert. I think they have a bigger crowd than the rhythm sections and steel bands now.

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
Does anyone know where i can get the trucks for labor day? Im gonna start my own mas band this year..
Thanks in advance
Probably gotta register with widaca then it's your responsibility to rent a truck trailers carpenters and sound system . look at rental companies u haul or logistics companies like Prime or Sason

dreadman

i love roti
@socapineman I remember my great uncle telling me the parade started in harlem. Anyway here is a video from 1998 on the parkway.
Idk bout u but it seems like to me its Trinidad they screaming all on the speakers.
I think the reason why it appears that Haitians run the parkway is due to the fact that they only have two trucks and since the last truck is usually a hatian truck they tend to gather there. As for lets say "Trinidadian trucks" ( which probably has the most amount of trucks on the parkway, and appear to be the only ones with mas) which tend to be spread out all along the parkway.

I also didn't see any Jamaican trucks on the road, did I miss them?

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
@socapineman I remember my great uncle telling me the parade started in harlem. Anyway here is a video from 1998 on the parkway.
Idk bout u but it seems like to me its Trinidad they screaming all on the speakers.
I think the reason why it appears that Haitians run the parkway is due to the fact that they only have two trucks and since the last truck is usually a hatian truck they tend to gather there. As for lets say "Trinidadian trucks" ( which probably has the most amount of trucks on the parkway, and appear to be the only ones with mas) which tend to be spread out all along the parkway.

I also didn't see any Jamaican trucks on the road, did I miss them?
Wow....Sue Simmons...wow...maaaaaan, flashback, good times !

LOL...Trinidad they screaming....I hear you !

maaaaaan, you missed all the Greatness on Parkway from 1994 when Mighty Gabby Massive Tune Doctor Cassandra ruled on the Parkway...

Then you had the yute...some guy name Machel making noise in '97 with Hold on to The Big Truck...

Or When another Bajan had us " Jumping "....Rupee Jump !

So Yes.....back in 2002 Naya Geoge....had the Biggest Hit ..." Trinidad "....on the Parkway......

I think I had on my "Red White and Black " T shirt....if I recall !

No doubt they were shouting Trinidad.....

Bro....1998.... Clearly, you might of been 1 or 2 years old....But, sorry to tell you that it was the Bajans...more so Square 1 and Alison Hinds had the Parkway on lock the year in question......She was there on the PArkway with Square 1.

Let me share Vibes with you......how deep they were.......

They ruled hands down....for anyone in NYC to tell you otherwise, they lying.....

Bro....Like I said, the Yardies and Haitians were out of control...crowd size....so they had no choice but to put them on last.....

They didn't show that on TV...just the Pretty mas....Bro...I showed you the Elephantman video...that alone should give you a sense of the showmanship.....but, to you point....clearly it was the " Pretty Mas " ppl wanted to see also vs the out of control madness.....

Anyway maaaan it was always love to Jump up on the Parkway with Bajans, Trinis, St Vincent, etc.... True love !

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
SMH...LOL...T-Vice 2012

Big-Up to Haiti.....The Best Sound system, the Biggest Crowd, The Best Showmanship.....

Outside of Bahia in Brazil....I want you to find or show me a better shot than this.....minus the pretty mas that is not there