Islandmix Book Club

ILanDFnTsY

Blessed
[updated:LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-02 AT 02:21 PM (EST)]
[font color = "black" size = "5"]Please suggest a book...let's see if we can get this thing in motion...

Please do not limit yourself to only Caribbean authors. Any books that can be beneficial are welcome.

Post jackers will be deleted!!!}>
[/font]​

lordsalt

Take Kaiso In Yuh Mouth!!
I highly recommend reading Robert Kiyosaki's 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad'. If you guys want a checkup on u'r financial outlook on life, then this book brings it to the forefront. It has made an impact on my life and I'm sure it will get u'r minds thinking. It's reading is very easy, so don't think it's a boring book on boring topics. I've read it about 12 times since this January and have 5 copies of the book personally. If you can't find it at the local bookstore/library let me know and I can lend you a copy. After done reading, feel free to share u'r thoughts with me.

regards,
salt

topclassbubbla

This is what I can remember from the books that I've read from Caribbean authors. The complete list is at home...

Brown Girl, Brownstones - Paule Marshall
I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem - Maryse Conde
Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe
White Teeth - Zadie Smith
House for Mr. Biswas - V.S. Naipaul
Krick? Krack - Edwidge Danticat
Tree of Life - Maryse Conde (pretty much any book by her is good)
Born Fi Dead - Laurie Gunst
Wide Sargasso Sea - Jean Rhys
A Small Place - Jamaica Kincaid

Awright den :)

[font color = red][font size = 4] "Love is blind. Marriage is the real eye-opener." [/font]

topclassbubbla

Excellent book, Salt.
Definitely one a mi picks if we going outside de Caribbean...

[font color = red][font size = 4] "Love is blind. Marriage is the real eye-opener." [/font]

topclassbubbla

Are we just focusing on Caribbean authors, Black authors, or it don't matter?

Cause ah have many more suggestions, if is not just Caribbean authors...

lordsalt

Take Kaiso In Yuh Mouth!!
thanks tclass

I also recommend the book 'Think & Grow Rich' by Napolean Hill. This book is also amazing. It teaches you 17 of the most basic principles in which you can apply to yourself towards becoming financially educated. The stories and examples in the book are great and it's easy reading. Only have one copy guys, so 1st come, 1st serve basis. :p

regards,
salt

topclassbubbla

In that case:

Rich Dad, Poor Dad
Manchild in the Promised Land
Nigger
Makes Me Wanna Holler

TriniPoet

1. The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings- TOLKIEN
2. The Chronicles of Narnia- C.S. LEWIS
3. Dragon Can't Dance- EARL LOVELACE
4. Dante's Inferno- DANTE
5. Paradise Lost- JOHN MILTON
6. Kent Family Chronicles- JOHN JAKES
7. Harry Potter books- J.K.ROWLING
8. Omeros- DEREK WALCOTT
9. No Disrespect & Coldest Winter- SISTER SOULJAH
10. The Monk- MATTHEW LEWIS
11. Green Days by the River- MICHAEL ANTHONY
12. Burning Down the House: NUyorican Poets
13. Aloud: Nuyorican Poets
14. Fly Girl- Omar Tyree
15. Invisible Life- E. Lynn Harris ( all his books)

topclassbubbla

I heard about that book -- have to add it to my list.

Malcolm X By Any Means Necessary a biography by Walter Dean Myers
The Curse: A Cultural History of Menstruation by Janice Delaney, Emily Toth and Mary Jane Lupton
Children of the Arbat by Anatoli Rybakov
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings
The Chronicles of Hans Boos by Hans Boos

KEPHREN1

@ All

Currently reading Midnight Robber by Nalo Hopkinson - she combines Caribbean folk tales with science fiction. It is one of the most original sci fi books Ive read. Highly recommended.

The Player of Games by Iain M.Banks. Another highly original Sci fi novel.

Gun, Germs & Steel by Jared Diamond. Non fiction a real eye opener gives some reasons as to why civilisations develop differently on different continents.

The Big Blowdown & King Suckerman by George Pelecanos. Gritty urban novels set in DC.

The Jesus Mysteries by Timothy Freke. Quite a controversial book and provides evidence that Christianity has it roots in older Pagan religions.

The Biography of Muhammad Ali.

Native Son by Richard Wright.

The IIiad by Homer.

ILanDFnTsY

Blessed
The Lords of Discipline - Pat Conroy

Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison

From Superman to Man - J.A. Rogers

Black Boy - Richard Wright

Salt - Earl Lovelace

I have so many more...I'll be back

dredgal

Professional Peeper
Okay, I think we have a huge list of books to start from. Are we to read them randomly and just discuss the book when were done or is it going to be organized. I can't wait to start but there are so many I don't know where to start.

So let's get this thing rolling. I would volunteer some of my time to help with organizing the club. Iland if you want my help I would be happy to assist. ;)