Is Machel now a Radio DJ ?

sprang

Sprang
Has anyone heard that Machel & Slic D host a Caribbean program on the BBC radio network ? :eek:
I am trying to confirm if this rumour is true and if we can log on via the internet...

sprang

Sprang
I can't believe with all the peepers on this site and especially all the Machel fans, that not one person could confirm that rumour for me...Not even Dragon with his vast amount of resources.. :(
I am losing the faith that I had in my Imix crew...This is a sad day in Imix history.

sprang said:
I can't believe with all the peepers on this site and especially all the Machel fans, that not one person could confirm that rumour for me...Not even Dragon with his vast amount of resources.. :(
I am losing the faith that I had in my Imix crew...This is a sad day in Imix history.
Today was woman wednesday we fellas were busy in the lounge....

ILanDFnTsY

Blessed

Machel Jesus Montano

Introducing a smashing hybrid of West Indian Soca with rapid-fire dance tracks is Machel Montano, an award winning vocalist and musician who was born and raised in the tropical paradise of Trinidad – a homeland he mischievously, yet lovingly refers to as the place of "lots of gardens and girls". A self-taught musician, Machel has been nurturing a career in music from the time he was a mere nine years old.

As a child, Machel performed his repertoire in various concert halls, nightclubs and contests, and to the dismay of other weary spectators, actually winning. "People made a fuss saying I shouldn't be entering music competitions with big men" says Machel. "Too young, too young" they said. The depth of Machel's local troubles eventually manifested in the form of a song Too Young to Soca that would quickly become a big hit all over the Caribbean islands. In fact, the song was so hot, young Machel even went to the States in 1986 to perform his hit on Star Search. He was only twelve.

In 1998 Machel, with the help of Delicious Vinyl Recordings, took the United States by storm. Using a flashy combination of his native Soca artfully blended with the American style House music Machel, with his first domestic single Come Dig It, had again come up with the perfect consolidation to get people onto the dance floors.

Over the last fourteen years, Machel Montano and his eleven piece band Xtatik - formerly Pranasonic Express - have continued their international success, performing at festivals and carnivals all over the Caribbean and most of Europe.

Machel himself has appeared alongside international entertainers such as Freddie Jackson, TLC, Buju Banton, Ziggy Marley, Steel Pulse, Burning Spear, Chubb Rock, Shabba Ranks, Gypsy Kings, Bounty Killer, Shaggy and the late Garnet Silk.

Machel reveals that the group's secret to crowd pleasing is this : Maintaining a live sound and an energetic presentation of the music, something he is looking forward to bringing to 1Xtra.

Signed to Atlantic records USA, Machel is already a superstar back home in Trinidad. He remains hungry, especially when it comes to bringing his outfit over to the UK and America. "I want to be able to find a place for our music, Soca music, in the awards – collecting the Grammies and actually doing something for my country" Machel says humbly. "It’s easy to just to cross over and be as everybody else, but you'll be better and stronger if you come through as yourself and who you are."

"After that" he says simply "I want to live happy by the beach".

DJ Slic

Ricardo Vidale AKA DJ Slic is a musical phenomenon. Born in the Trinidadian parish of St Joseph in 1968, music and DJing have become the central focal point of his life.

The journey began back in Trinidad in 1976 aged eight. "My first memory of music came courtesy of Cleve, a family friend, who worked in a record store and used to come to my house to bring my dad the latest 45s from artists from all over the world. I used to be intrigued by these seven inch pieces of plastic and usually ended up playing the records before him!"

Ricardo's father proved to be a huge influence on his work. "Back then my dad was the resident DJ at his office parties. I used to tag along with him, slowly learning the ropes and I eventually took over from him playing the latest tunes from people like easy listening supremo Ace Cannon plus local artists such as Black Stalin and Shadow. I think that is where my appreciation of a wide and varied selection of musical styles comes from."

"I hung out with one of the leading sound systems on the island, DJ Playboy and I honed my craft at this point. I used to watch them work and make a mental note of what went down well and what didn't."

Slic then made a life change that would prove decisive. He relocated from the sunny climes of the Caribbean to London in May 1990 – and the change in temperature was memorable.

"I remember coming out of the airport terminal and thinking that someone must have left the air-conditioning on too high! It was so cold, but I knew that I had done the right thing."

In August 90, he visited the Notting Hill Carnival, Europe's biggest street festival which attracts over two million visitors, and soon witnessed a party like those he was used to back home! "I was amazed, here I was, 4,000 miles away from Trinidad, but still feeling the same vibes that I felt over there. I starting speaking to the DJs and soon became part of the collective alongside two prominent DJs Soca Massive and Zoomer D. I'll always be grateful to those guys for giving me the opportunity to prove myself."

The next stage came in 96, when an opportunity to be on the bill of the most successful Caribbean music gig in London came. "I used to go to the Cocoyea gigs as a paying member of the public then all of a sudden I was one of the DJs!

Slic was now spinning in front of over 2000 people and was soon noticed by Smokey Joe, one of the leading lights in the Caribbean music scene in Europe. Smokey had just been recruited by the BBC to present a radio programme on BBC London. One of his first moves was to bring DJ Slic on to the show.

Radio had always been very important to me, ever since I was a kid back in Trinidad and the opportunity to be part of a show on a station like the BBC was something that I couldn't let slip." DJ Slic took the chance with both hands and is now a co-presenter on the award-winning Socalypso Review on BBC London every Sunday from 0000-0300.

"I want to take this thing to a new level – I am so determined to ensure that I have the skills and art needed to be an ambassador for the music that I love. I'm so excited about being part of the UK's first national Soca show on 1Xtra and the listeners can expect something really special!"

montREALady

Former IMIX POSTER Child
sprang said:
Has anyone heard that Machel & Slic D host a Caribbean program on the BBC radio network ? :eek:
I am trying to confirm if this rumour is true and if we can log on via the internet...
i thought you meant slick d ("whattttttt wavin wavin") who was in xtatik. i guess not. dat man dey in de pic nearly look like starchild...who come wit it roll it!!

T

TriniTooSexy1

sprang said:

I would of answer that for you hun but i know how people mout on this is imix is i dont want nobody to call meh groupie so i lef it alone. But i glad you got your info