Imix virtual book club suggestion

sanfranjouvay

So, i started reading again and just so happen to be reading
something that speaks to the conspiracy theory post by Phil. Would be cool to have a book club and movie review club on here..hint hint Stryka.

Here's what I am plugging through:

Understanding Power, The Indispensable Chomsky. It's a bit thick, but we could do a chapter or something for starters. Or, he has a little book out callled 9-11 (Noam Chomsky). Actually, let's do the 9-11 one.
Anyone interested? Say we check in in 2 weeks for a discussion. We can imagine that we're disucssing it over some cook up or curry.

Someone else can drop the next book..anykind.

Essiquibo

You worserer than I
that's a good idea....but who will pick the books....there has to be a system to this. expound please.....

Don't study it.

topclassbubbla

Oooh, oooh!! Pick me, pick me! :) :) I think that is an excellent idea.

[font color = blue][font size = 4] Caribbean AIDS Walk
SUNDAY JULY 14
Brooklyn, NY
Contact 718-485-6518 (Ann Marie)
www.newworldcreations.org
[/font]

montREALady

Former IMIX POSTER Child
i am getting a visual of you in a classroom, with your hand up, waving it frantically trying to get the teachers' attention!

montREALady

Former IMIX POSTER Child
a book club is a terrific idea! however i do not suggest books that are too complicated, philisophical or political, as not everyone is interested in that. or maybe we can have book clubs for different interests. i suggest that we read whatever's on oprah's book club, but go at our own pace. there are many of those books in bookstores. some suggestions would be nice. right now i am re-reading "gotti: rise and fall", the last time i read it i didn't get to finish it and had to return it to the person who lent it to me...(why lend me a book, then hound me down for it?!:))

or we can read a book about a caribbean island/country, maybe a different country a month. this way we can learn about other countries than our own.

topclassbubbla

I don't think we should go off Oprah's book club. Sorry, but Oprah's brainwashed (yup, I said it!). While she does have some good books, I find that her ignorance of up-and-coming black authors (or books on the Black experience) is insulting. I mean there are many other Black authors out there who aren't writing E.Lynn Harris/Eric Jerome Dickey kinda books...

SUNDAY JULY 14
Brooklyn, NY
[/font]

montREALady

Former IMIX POSTER Child
she hasn't had eric or e lynn in her bookclubs has she?! :eek: i love their books, but i know what you mean. i can't take oprah myself, but everytime i'm in the bookstore, i notice she has books that look interesting...by maya or ivanla. mind you i never buy them because i am running to the fiction section looking for books like eric jerome dickeys'! i am not too interested in non-black books myself, and this is imix, so we should be reading about ourselves. i need a good non-fiction book by a black author that will not lose my attention.

ILanDFnTsY

Blessed
I would be interested in a book club, and have a list that I compiled from an old Backchat post some time ago as Suggested Reading. At work some of us are trying to go through the NY Times 100 Best Novels of the 20th century.

Maybe I'm just strange, but other than historical, political or textbook type books, I don't see all the hype about most current black authors. The "new" black fiction is terribly overrated to me. I'm sorry but just b/c a black person writes a book does not mean I want to read it.

topclassbubbla

No she didn't have E.Lynn or Eric on her show, but I get the feeling that she thinks that's what most Black books are all about.

SUNDAY JULY 14
Brooklyn, NY
[/font]

montREALady

Former IMIX POSTER Child
yeah, once you're done those books, you forget them...i personally read them for entertainment in between work and imix...takes my mind of seriousness. i have a list as well, but they are more fiction books by black authors. does anyone have non-fiction ones?

ILanDFnTsY

Blessed
[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-02 AT 12:07 PM (EST)]I have a list at home. A good place to check is the Africana Studies departments at major Universities. Most of them have a book list for their curriculum that contain a decent mixture of fiction, and non-fiction literature. I understand the concept of reading to escape reality, but the subject matter of most of those Eric Jerome type books just annoys me.

STRYKA

Administrator
Ahh... i bookmarked this suggestion.... BUT let's see who been on IslandMix from time!!

Some peeps would know that islandmix had a bookclub on the site for a good year and a bit... it was real nice... one of the first online bookclubs... but the members had less time to meet and tings...

Anyhow, what was the name of the Original BookClub on IslandMix?

Things that mek yuh say hmmm....

tallest

[font face=Georgia][font color=black]I would love that..especially if we can do caribbean authors...new and old...like Earl Lovelace...and Derek Walcott..Zenga Longmore...ooohh happy happy...
LEt me know when?[/font]

Phil

Agent III1VI
[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-02 AT 12:39 PM (EST)]
I myself am irritated(to say the least) by the E. Jerome Dicky style of writing. It seems so one dimensional to me. Just my own opinion, but there's a subtle ghettoness about it. It really gets under my skin, because I know there's more to the black community than that. Even hearing him talk on a radio interview was annoying. Aside from the African cultural and socio-political books, I'd love to see more science fiction and adventure(not ghetto adventure dramas) from black authors(even some movies like Blade). One day I want to do my own sci-fi writing(not exactly a book, maybe short stories). There's enough mystery and adventure in our ancient culture draw from. If the corny series stargate can steal ideas from our culture so can we? I vaguely remember seeing a movie about vampires in the caribbean, but I can't remember the name(This is relavent right? I hope I didn't post jack).

[font color="navy" size="3" face="Arial"]
Modern democracy is not the freedom to run your life, but the freedom to choose who is going to run your life
[/font]

ILanDFnTsY

Blessed
Phil,
I would not classify it as post jacking. The whole sublte ghetto thing is what annoys me the most. It's just like the black movies in the theatres, I just think that most of the popular stuff makes us look bad, and yes I understand it's entertainment, but I for one don't choose to indulge.

Science fiction is not really my forte either, but it would be interesting. I would love to read just a regular story by a black author without all of the stereotypical bs.

Tallest... After the 6th I'll get back to you and the other interested members with a list, and we can see if we can get a club going.

montREALady

Former IMIX POSTER Child
you know what i think my underlying reason is? as canadians, our lifestyles are different from americans, ya'll are exposed to a lot more than us. so to some of you, this type of reading is trivial. but to me, it's fun to read books on how these black, US authors interpret relationships or the experiences their characters go through, because i guess it sort of gives a look at black american relationships (sparks my curiosity)...which are sometimes different from ours. i know these books are fiction, but they get their ideas from somewhere, right? we're always interested in the american way of life, that's why we love BET (when ya'll may think it's boring), rush the theatres when black movies come out, etc...am i making sense?! i don't think so! :D

montREALady

Former IMIX POSTER Child
i think i remember that, but i can't remember the name...i remember always being interested but that part of the site was down...then it disappeared. was it called "book tings" or something?