Imix Lawyers

Here's the story...

When i was in trini, apparently the idiots who live above me decided to urinate out the window. In doing that, the urine ended up on my screen and my window and it seems to be on my couch as well. I spoke to the landlord day before yesterday and he was supposed to come clean it yesterday. He gave some bullshit excuse as to why he didn't come and said he would come tomorrow(today). I called today and he didn't answer. So i just called the property manager and they said they will call the super and maybe he can clean it tomorrow. I told them i'm having guest over this weekend and i want it cleaned by tomorrow. She said well she don't know if that can happen so i told her if it's not cleaned by tomorrow, i will hire someone to clean it and they will have to pay the bill. She says that will be my own expense and they will not pay it. I then told her i would just have to sue them then...

Do i have grounds for that?

Swollen

Players Play I Coach
Here's the story...

When i was in trini, apparently the idiots who live above me decided to urinate out the window. In doing that, the urine ended up on my screen and my window and it seems to be on my couch as well. I spoke to the landlord day before yesterday and he was supposed to come clean it yesterday. He gave some bullshit excuse as to why he didn't come and said he would come tomorrow(today). I called today and he didn't answer. So i just called the property manager and they said they will call the super and maybe he can clean it tomorrow. I told them i'm having guest over this weekend and i want it cleaned by tomorrow. She said well she don't know if that can happen so i told her if it's not cleaned by tomorrow, i will hire someone to clean it and they will have to pay the bill. She says that will be my own expense and they will not pay it. I then told her i would just have to sue them then...

Huh I kinna confused....

up2detime

you can sue anyone for anything, but i doubt you will win. have you tried dealing with the neighbors directly?

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
Here's the story...

I eh no lawyer eh buh in my opinion simple answer is no. If the landlord said I will clean it tomorrow in response to your pending engagement, then you would have had an agreement in consideration of your situation. If the timeliness of his response can factor into your couch being permanently damaged then yes. As of right now he simply agreed to clean it and although it was supposed to be yesterday and today if he comes on sunday or monday that would not be seen as unreasonable by a judge. U can sue but wont win.

I eh no lawyer eh buh in my opinion simple answer is no. If the landlord said I will clean it tomorrow in response to your pending engagement, then you would have had an agreement in consideration of your situation. If the timeliness of his response can factor into your couch being permanently damaged then yes. As of right now he simply agreed to clean it and although it was supposed to be yesterday and today if he comes on sunday or monday that would not be seen as unreasonable by a judge. U can sue but wont win.
But this is presenting a health hazard to me and my child. Who knows if there is hep c in that? do you have any idea how festering piss smells? Can't that prove that it needs to be handled in a timely manner? not when he 'feels' like?

S

sharkie

But this is presenting a health hazard to me and my child. Who knows if there is hep c in that? do you have any idea how festering piss smells? Can't that prove that it needs to be handled in a timely manner? not when he 'feels' like?
You have to make sure you tell them that time is of the essence. if he doesn't come by the time you want him to and you call someone, then i think it would be okay to do so.

make sure you follow up with email as proof that he said he would be there by x time.

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
If timeliness will be the crux of your argument and potential health risk, then you have a chance to possibly win in small claims. Not sure how great the chance is but there is a chance.

S

sharkie

If timeliness will be the crux of your argument and potential health risk, then you have a chance to possibly win in small claims. Not sure how great the chance is but there is a chance.
I think you can threaten first and they would probably work it out as a credit to yuh rent

Steupz

Start with a lawyer letter. I know plenty of them who will do it for 250.
If yuh want ah name lemmeh know

Steupz

is the couch worth 250?
Dey does claim it back. The person supposed to pay de costs plus what dey asking.

Most times de lawyer letter does frighten dem and dey does juss pay.
Trinis not litigious so dey does get frighten and pay up.

Wha I doh understand is how ah woman could tell yuh ah man piss on she couch and you acting like is ah Blue Waters fall on it.

MÉCHANT LOUP

Cervical Cancer
Here's the story...

The tenants above u are responsible for damaging ur property, so they shud' be liable for the damages. If the property management or the Super chooses to clean or pay somone to clean the couch. That is a "courtesy" cuz they are not the ones responsible.

MadamStatuesque

I can only be me....
The tenants above u are responsible for damaging ur property, so they shud' be liable for the damages. If the property management or the Super chooses to clean or pay somone to clean the couch. That is a "courtesy" cuz they are not the ones responsible.
simply put. property managers are not responsible for damage to personal property UNLESS it is caused by something that they would be responsible for (water damage caused by a leaky roof, busted pipe, mold, etc.)

Dey does claim it back. The person supposed to pay de costs plus what dey asking.

Most times de lawyer letter does frighten dem and dey does juss pay.
Trinis not litigious so dey does get frighten and pay up.

Wha I doh understand is how ah woman could tell yuh ah man piss on she couch and you acting like is ah Blue Waters fall on it.
That's what's pissing me off the most. The nonchalant attitude.

Well apparently the people upstairs are squatters and do not belong there. The lady that was living there moved out about a yr ago and she gave the keys to some family member so the company is in court trying to get them out. I don't even see when they are coming or going, i just hear footsteps now and again. I just sent them a nice letter and if I don't get a response then it's going to go further than that.