I need a good book

Dougla Ting

Happily Ever After
I need a good book. I'm going to order Zane's new book but I can get free shipping from Amazon if I order $25 or more. Any recommendations?

Dougla Ting

Happily Ever After
[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-02 AT 03:57 PM (EST)]But is when we starting dis book club? Yuh know how long ah waiting for a good book to read!

S

Solidarity

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-02 AT 03:59 PM (EST)][font color=black]whapnin dahlin :+

G

dougla here are some I read, I am sure you will enjoy:
true to the game
coldest winter
be more careful
when you look at me what you see
shame on it all
shades of jade
whore son
push
I have to look under my bed to see what else, but girl I have a lot.

P

poca-old

talking about books, i wrote one in high school (really seriously) it had 950 pages, it's a love story, but i cannot share it with you because it's in french.

All we need is love!

S

Solidarity

[font color=black]Dat was a reply to post #3, de wig get in yuh eye or wha? ;)   Recommendations soon come...

sanfranjouvay

YEPPP. It's called Gunshots in My Cook-up: A Caribbean-hip-hop Experience by Selwyn Hinds available on amazon.com. He's a great writer and it's just a bunch of short stories dealing with hip-hop, but given his strong Caribbean background you'll be taken into the Tilden Ballroom, to Haiti, to the roti shop in Brooklyn, to high school in Guyana....you get my drift. He gives you a great insight into hip-hop and better yet he brings some serious thought and critique to it. You learn the ordeals of a start up and the disappoinment of it's failure (360hiphop.com). You'll be moved to tears when he writes about touring with the Fugees when they played for 75,000 people in Haiti..you'll ge a totally different appreciation for Wyclef.

And if you're looking for a really good fictional book try Song of the Water Saints by Nelly Rosario. Talk about a delightful sense of humor, and a raunchy description of sex and great imagination.

So, in summary that's 2 books on amazon.com:

1. Gunshots in my cook-up by Selwyn Hinds (debut October 8, 2002)
2. Song of the Water Saints by Nelly Rosario (debut March 2002)

This plug may be biased because they're both ex-schoolmates who I like and respect, but the books are very good.

Dougla Ting

Happily Ever After
I've read, "coldest winter ever" That book was really good. Also, "Shame on it all" I will check out the rest. Which one out of the rest do you think is the best?

G

the next two best ones was :
be more careful
push
true to the game
when you look at me what you see
if you liked coldest winter you will love these, same theary. oopppppppps that is more than two.

N

n/a

B-more Careful is a good A$$ book, I missed mu stop on the train and went to bed all 3 in the morning messin with that book

I'm reading Shades of Jade now. I'm almost done really , It's a good book to.

P

prettidolli16t

"Frequently outnumbered, but never outgunned!!"

Sanfran, how did I know u were gonna plug those books? :) I recommend as I stated b4, "Desirada" by Maryse Conde and "Brown Girl, Brownstones" by Paule Marshall. "How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents" by the author Alvarez is also another of my favorites.

soca junkie

strength, courage, wisdom
Here are a few that i can think of off the top of my head

Autobiography of Assata Shakur (excellent)
Manchild in the Promised Land
Blindness by Jose Saramago
anything by Edwidge Danticat
Color of Water

S

Solidarity

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-02 AT 04:35 PM (EST)][font color=black]Like de selections junkie.   i would add:

- Celestine Prophecy (a likkle old so dougla, u might have gotten it already)
- King Leopold's Ghost (doh get much play, but powerful. junkie, ya might wanna check dis one too)

- Oh, and of course anything by Octavia Butler (where meh patternist posse?!) :+