How to fete safe in TT this Carnival....

redtrinigirl

Wine, wine, wine!!!
Babes, de Carni still good. Alot of people talk about the crime and ting, but last year was de safest carnival we've had in years. Yuh just have to know what yuh about, and why things are they way they are.

Alot of young fellas unemployed, uneducated and into crime. So for them Carnival is de best time to make some money, cause the rest of the year is ketch ass! It's sad that it have to come to that, but if yuh doh study when yuh in school, and get yuhself mix up with the wrong type of people, what else yuh expect?

But here's the trick to partying safe in TT:

1.) Have a crew!! Always go out in groups, travel together. If yuh doh have a car, hire a taxi to drop and meet allyuh. If yuh crew big enough, hire a maxi. Me and my crew do it everytime, dat way yuh doh have to worry about parking no car. (a rental car is de hardest ting to get around Carnival, have to book in advance)

2.) Choose yuh fete! It hard, but the more money for de ticket, the safer the fete. Anything under TT$80 is asking to go a ole nigga fete. Cause any and everybody can get ah lil change and show up, looking to pick pocket and rob to get money to go feting for de rest of the season.
Also the location of the fete is important. It has been my experience that those in de West (Chaguaramas, St. Anns, etc) are relatively safe. These are the ones where yuh have people from the higher social classes, so yuh know nobody there looking to rob yuh.

3.) Have an assembly point and time! Whenever yuh go out, arrange in advance to meet at a particular time and place. So no matter where the members of yuh crew go, allyuh travelling home together.

4.) No jewellry of any kind!!!!!!!! What? Yuh trying to advertise for a robbery? Never go feting with gold on. Yuh going to jump and waveand have a good time, not model. Leave yuh jewellry home!!

5.) No set of brandsand expensive clothes either!! We can always tell when someone come from foreign. They have to wear brands to go 'round de corner by de shop! Look at de locals how they dress to fete, jersey and jeans/shorts, ah ole sneakers/trainers and they good. Keep it simple.

6.) Have yuh beers/drinks money separate to the rest. Have it put aside, in easy reach, and keep the denominations small. Yuh never know who watching yuh pull out de $100 bill from yuh wallet in yuh pocket, or yuh shoes(lol).

7.) Never get so drunk that yuh not aware of yuh surroundings!!!!! I know, it hard living out here, and when yuh go home yuh have to try and fit in all de wining that yuh can into yuh visit, cause yuh know yuh not wining so again for a long time. But doh get carried away. Tipsy is Ok, but not stoned. Yuh asking for somebody to follow yuh, especially if you're female.

I lived in TT for 28 years, and feting for over a decade now, and ah never had an incident happen to me, or any of my friends. So it not as bad as peple make it out to be. People just fail to realise that this is not theTT from long time, when yuh could leave yuh house open all night, and walk home any hour. Once yuh have yuh head on, stick to a few simple rules, life good.

Man, feting sweet!!

A

amprincess

Trinibaje said:
:kicks @ ole nigga fete
:O leave it to you :p I was waiting for someone to point that out :eek: :O you know Trini's can't be politically correct :O

Dark & Lovely

$ CASH MONEY PROMOTIONS$
redtrinigirl said:
Babes, de Carni still good. Alot of people talk about the crime and ting, but last year was de safest carnival we've had in years. Yuh just have to know what yuh about, and why things are they way they are.

Alot of young fellas unemployed, uneducated and into crime. So for them Carnival is de best time to make some money, cause the rest of the year is ketch ass! It's sad that it have to come to that, but if yuh doh study when yuh in school, and get yuhself mix up with the wrong type of people, what else yuh expect?

But here's the trick to partying safe in TT:

1.) Have a crew!! Always go out in groups, travel together. If yuh doh have a car, hire a taxi to drop and meet allyuh. If yuh crew big enough, hire a maxi. Me and my crew do it everytime, dat way yuh doh have to worry about parking no car. (a rental car is de hardest ting to get around Carnival, have to book in advance)

2.) Choose yuh fete! It hard, but the more money for de ticket, the safer the fete. Anything under TT$80 is asking to go a ole nigga fete. Cause any and everybody can get ah lil change and show up, looking to pick pocket and rob to get money to go feting for de rest of the season.
Also the location of the fete is important. It has been my experience that those in de West (Chaguaramas, St. Anns, etc) are relatively safe. These are the ones where yuh have people from the higher social classes, so yuh know nobody there looking to rob yuh.

3.) Have an assembly point and time! Whenever yuh go out, arrange in advance to meet at a particular time and place. So no matter where the members of yuh crew go, allyuh travelling home together.

4.) No jewellry of any kind!!!!!!!! What? Yuh trying to advertise for a robbery? Never go feting with gold on. Yuh going to jump and waveand have a good time, not model. Leave yuh jewellry home!!

5.) No set of brandsand expensive clothes either!! We can always tell when someone come from foreign. They have to wear brands to go 'round de corner by de shop! Look at de locals how they dress to fete, jersey and jeans/shorts, ah ole sneakers/trainers and they good. Keep it simple.

6.) Have yuh beers/drinks money separate to the rest. Have it put aside, in easy reach, and keep the denominations small. Yuh never know who watching yuh pull out de $100 bill from yuh wallet in yuh pocket, or yuh shoes(lol).

7.) Never get so drunk that yuh not aware of yuh surroundings!!!!! I know, it hard living out here, and when yuh go home yuh have to try and fit in all de wining that yuh can into yuh visit, cause yuh know yuh not wining so again for a long time. But doh get carried away. Tipsy is Ok, but not stoned. Yuh asking for somebody to follow yuh, especially if you're female.

I lived in TT for 28 years, and feting for over a decade now, and ah never had an incident happen to me, or any of my friends. So it not as bad as peple make it out to be. People just fail to realise that this is not theTT from long time, when yuh could leave yuh house open all night, and walk home any hour. Once yuh have yuh head on, stick to a few simple rules, life good.

Man, feting sweet!!

I AGREE WITH THIS 100 PERCENT

redtrinigirl

Wine, wine, wine!!!
Sorry about the non-PC statement earlier guys, didn't mean to offend anyone.

I forgot that only someone living in TT would know what we call the "wild/riff-raff/anybody-with-$20-could-come" fetes. And as with everything else, the manner of talking to your peeps by refering to them as "my nigga" has come down from the US. So it wasn't meant to insult anyone. I regularly talk to my girls, and guys, by stating first "whaam now, meh nigga!" So I hope I clarified this.

But back to the topic. Fetes to avoid, unless yuh have a serious crew(of mostly fellas), transport organised and stuff:

1.) WASA Fete!! Oh God! This is number one on de Ole N*&$%! Fete (ONF) list. Talk about wildness!!! Only de serious professional feters go to this, and the only people I know who go to this are all male. Need I say more?

2.) Fire Services Fete. It has been turning in that direction of late.

3.) Brass Festival. I am somewhat cautious to put this on this list because even though it is regarded as a ONF, I have not missed going to it (except for this year cause I in foreign). I always enjoy myself, have a great time, and never had an incident happen to me or my crew there. I think the trick is to stay to the middle/back of the crowd. DO NOT, under any circumstances, go to the front of the stage/s or crowd. Dat my people, is where all the "mad crews" occupy. Yuh asking to get pushed and stomped on. And also in that kind of crush you cannot tell whose hand is in your pocket, or if something happens to you, the chances of your calls for help being heard are slim. Stick to where the crowd is sparse, yuh come to fete and wine, better to do so where yuh room to move, true?

4.) Soca Monarch. Over the last three or four years it has gotten wilder and wilder. For those looking for somewhere to go on Carnival Friday, try Girl Power, or Jenny's on de Boulevard, or Pier 1. Unless, like I said before, yuh going with a serious crew(mostly locals), mostly male, and allyuh have yuh business well planned.

I hope this helps as well.

Laters!

cocorite

SOCA FANATIC
...you make some good points about being safe but fight and pickpocketing happen at all fetes. I don't know you and your crew but as for New Yorkers I don't believe they going down Trinidad to go stand up in some of those all inclusive fetes so they could be around people who just there to be seen by their others.
You might feel safe going down chaguramas area but these thiefts getting more and more sophisticated and they don't always come looking like a "ole nigga". key thing just be aware of people around you stay out the crowds don't be afraid to take a wine in the light!

shooter

Not Wasa.........

Being a photojournalist, I understand what you mean by "wassy fetes" but I think you should not just go on other people's opinions.
All fetes are not 100% safe............. and all soca parties are wild in front of the stage the only difference between an inculsive front stage and a fete is what the people wear, it's the same pushing and mashing.
I've been covering the WASA fete for the past 5 yrs and I have never witnessed anything more than a scuffle, and there wasn't even that on Saturday night.
So I think it's up to you to decide weather you want to go to a fete and lime front stage on behind the crowd where it isalways safe.

classyivy1

An Ivy of Class
In my years of going home from Carnival I always avoided going to Soca Monarch because I thought it would be too wild and out of control. Last year I decided I would go and at least experience it once and honestly it is not as bad as on the tapes. If you're in the front, you will (or might) get ah little push But there's no one stopping you from liming in the back. I had a ball last year and will certainly be in attendance this year (just not front and center :O ).

Also, don't think that if you pay $3000tt for a fete that means that you will be safe. Riff raff, bandits, and criminals come in all shapes, sizes, walks of life! So my advise on this whole issue...use common sense!