How long have you...

TweetaFineeta

█♥█ TORONTONIAN █♥&#
that leads me to believe that many people dont comitt to jobs like they used to. pretty much like relationships. everybody can easily tell you reasons to leave but never know how to stay for the long haul

it's a reflection of the times we live in
it's like people don't want to PAY DUES...they think, they supposed to just have things the way they want it, coming out of the gate...and they keep moving on and you will never be able to build anything that way...that's so unstable

people keep moving from job to job, just to get 5k or 10k more a year, meanwhile they sacrifice benefits, seniority/favor etc etc...and do themselves a bigger disservice
In this market place the average person will have many jobs, and more than one career. (Take my mother for example: 27 years in business 3 years into a new career as a teacher now)

There aren't as many people now a days that will get a job in a place work there for 25 - 30 years then retire with a large pension. Does this still exists? Yes, but it is not as common as it once was. This is a totally different job market especially with more and more companies laying off workforce to report good quarters to shareholders.

Personally I have worked for a massively large company, a small company, an international company, and a company that grew from a small to large business in a relatively short time. There are pros and cons to all of these experiences.

I am into year 6 with my current employer. Benefits are sick pay is good, and I can make extra money as well based on performance. I am close to home so no commute basically. I have had a lot of different roles, I have been able to beef up my experience, and been able to bring my previous experience in to have a pretty massive impact on the organization, set performance records, carve my own niche and value within the organization - at this point I am visible to Senior management up to CEO level.

I do not think people lack a commitment to stay in a place, I think the difference in the job market today is that there are less employers that feel the need to have commitment to staff and invest in them. Not everyone has a union job, works for Google or an employer that values people lol ... I think there are a lot less companies out there willing to pay people what they're worth, offer comprehensive benefits & pension/401K, education, stock options etc. Investment in the employees is what makes them stay ultimately. If an employer invests nothing in it's people, leaving for an extra 5-10K more per year can be a big deal to a person - especially if by leaving they can expose themselves to more growth opportunity.

Perspective.

B

Black Madonna

I do not think people lack a commitment to stay in a place, I think the difference in the job market today is that there are less employers that feel the need to have commitment to staff and invest in them. Not everyone has a union job, works for Google or an employer that values people lol ... I think there are a lot less companies out there willing to pay people what they're worth, offer comprehensive benefits & pension/401K, education, stock options etc. Investment in the employees is what makes them stay ultimately. If an employer invests nothing in it's people, leaving for an extra 5-10K more per year can be a big deal to a person - especially if by leaving they can expose themselves to more growth opportunity.

Perspective.
I agree. That's why I found it strange that someone would question why some people are with their companies so long. If you have all of the above benefits, etc, plus flexibility and whatever else why should anyone leave? Guess I am old school. Those things are what you looked for when job hunting. And when you find it...you stay. What else do you need?

But I hear you because I know quite a few people who left my company for YEARS and wind up coming back because they couldn't get as much other places. And the union got them back their seniority, salaries, options, etc.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
i know people who are PhD'd out.. and jobs are hard because employers want to pay people nuts money.... or they pay you real well and put things in place so that they can can you without repercussion.. no unions, no pension stuff etc..

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
From the LQQKS of this THREAD, I am EMPLOYED the LONGEST at one company.

YUHHHHHH SEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

TweetaFineeta

█♥█ TORONTONIAN █♥&#
That's why I found it strange that someone would question why some people are with their companies so long. .
I see what you mean. Yeah it isn't weird to stay long in a place or to want to.... IDK why that would be shocking.... that is exactly what people use to aim for. It just doesn't happen now a days.

If you have been at your place long and still love it you are lucky, and it is a sign of a great employer, and company to work for.

Essential Flower

(((Natural creation)))
From the LQQKS of this THREAD, I am EMPLOYED the LONGEST at one company.

YUHHHHHH SEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee
Wait...yo reach. VP you ain't say how long.

Umm...you coming Vincy for the Christmas? You don't want to miss out on the grand nine morning festivities all over the place. dance1

TOLOMB

Red Man
So being employed for a long time at one company is good for the benefits an seniority/titles etc.... But for those who've stayed in basically the "same field" at the company for that "long time", is your job a cornerstone to the success of your companies operation?

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
i get the impression that b/c i said "wow" when ppl said they've been at their jobs for a long time is being interpreted as it's unheard of or weird. obviously that's not the case. b/c i thought that the majority of posters were 25 and under, that's what made it interesting to me. what i'm guessing/seeing now though is that those that have been at the same jobs b/t 7 and 10 yrs are over 25. no?

TOLOMB

Red Man
i get the impression that b/c i said "wow" when ppl said they've been at their jobs for a long time is being interpreted as it's unheard of or weird. obviously that's not the case. b/c i thought that the majority of posters were 25 and under, that's what made it interesting to me. what i'm guessing/seeing now though is that those that have been at the same jobs b/t 7 and 10 yrs are over 25. no?
Age plays the biggest factor.

I'm just curious into the mindset of those with tenure at their company. For instance if you got hired at your company right after you were finished your education and were given the option to grow with the company, and that is what happened, then great. But if the growth never came but yet you like what you do, is that the core reason for a person not to look elsewhere seriously?

theunknownone

...been at your current job?

i've been at mine for almost 5 yrs come early next year

do you plan to stay much longer? why and why not? if yes, how much longer?
I have been at my job for about 5 years and some, I wanted to find another job but the pay is good and its a 5 min walk from my house plus with the way the job market is not to many jobs does keep people for so long plus I am a jr supervisor and was told I will head supervisor in about 2 years.

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
so at this new job there are ppl that have been there for 40 something years. i even heard that someone has been there for 50 years. this one lady has only worked at this job-- started when she was 16 and she's been there 42 yrs.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
there are people at my job who been there since before i born.. hell before my mother born.. i aint know bout all that nah..

Jason kiDD

Super Moderator
Same thing here. Makes it harder for the new people since they have to ensure the old are ready to leave. Also causes a historical memory flux in the organization because so much knowledge departs at once and often they dont hire new people till the older ones have one foot out the door..

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
i notice that at my job they are trying to get ppl to buy into the idea that change is good and necessary. during orientation they talked extensively about changing. it really feels as if they're on this "change" campaign. new ppl and new ideas are always necessary-- how else you gonna progress? oh, and i've also heard chatter about how some ppl don't want to share their knowledge w/ others-- "job security." smh

these ppl still mailing out POs. contracts aren't scanned in. hard copy only. smh

all4life

Forca Barca
Been at my job for 7 years and not gonna leave till retirement or until my Manager leaves, best manager ever.

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
so i've been hearing that some ppl here that are incompetent and been here for 40, 50+ years got their jobs based on affirmative action. i'm getting the impression that affirmative action was the MAIN reason why they landed the job

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
LOL apparently some ppl here didn't even know how to log into the computer. smdh. the stories i hear about ppl that got let go are just sad. seems that there is a culture of super complacency here. that's prob for another thread though