How long have you...

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
that is what i don't understand....how are you climbing ladders if you are switching jobs??? seems to me like you can't
Depends on the industry....if you are headhunted after being in one position, another company will want your skill set and you leave one company to take a more responsible or "higher" position at another. You dont lose out on benefits by switching because the company who is headhunting you will offer not only more pay but a sweeter benefit package to entice you to leave.
You can easily move up the corporate ladder - position wise - in this manner.

NASDAQ

i'm sorry....a person that can't stay at a job for more than 2 or 3 years is kinda unattractive...how do you ever get vested in a pension or those types of things....people always complain about atmosphere, room for growth and not getting along with coworkers etc...but how do you ever earn seniority, and respect amongst your peers if you don't put in the work?.....

it's like people don't want to PAY DUES...they think, they supposed to just have things the way they want it, coming out of the gate...and they keep moving on and you will never be able to build anything that way...that's so unstable

people keep moving from job to job, just to get 5k or 10k more a year, meanwhile they sacrifice benefits, seniority/favor etc etc...and do themselves a bigger disservice
that is true^
in my teens before i started working my parents told me that employees look at your job history. If they see a pattern of u jumping from job to job they will say "why waste time hiring u when u will leave soon" so they will more than likely not hire someone who's jumping from job to job.

i hate when people complain about co workers and wanting to find a job with less dramma. Like that place exist, and it's mostly women that complain about being "hated" on buy other female co workers. Women get run off by other women..men quit for more money

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
that is true^
in my teens before i started working my parents told me that employees look at your job history. If they see a pattern of u jumping from job to job they will say "why waste time hiring u when u will leave soon" so they will more than likely not hire someone who's jumping from job to job.

i hate when people complain about co workers and wanting to find a job with less dramma. Like that place exist, and it's mostly women that complain about being "hated" on buy other female co workers. Women get run off by other women..men quit for more money
i understand that employers don't want to see you jumping around from job to job to job but i think they also consider where you are in your career when looking at your resume. it also depends what industry you're in. IT consultants/contractors move around a lot. 6 months here, 3 months there, another 6 months elsewhere.

T

T-MAKAA

that is true^
exactly. that is how it was for most jobs. That's not the case these days

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
Depends on the industry....if you are headhunted after being in one position, another company will want your skill set and you leave one company to take a more responsible or "higher" position at another. You dont lose out on benefits by switching because the company who is headhunting you will offer not only more pay but a sweeter benefit package to entice you to leave.
You can easily move up the corporate ladder - position wise - in this manner.
oh now this makes sense....the way they were talking, i had the impression that people were just up and quitting because they didn't like what they were receiving at one company or one position...

there are people i know, that switch jobs every few years, but it just seems like an endless cycle of not really climbing a corporate ladder...it's like they are title chasers...but most times they have the title, but nothing of substance to go along with it.....some would even take pay cuts...in another company, just to have a higher title...then hope for the best

B

Black Madonna

with mergers and acquisitions you can be sitting in the same desk for years and work for several different companies and have several different titles and duties. go up, down and sideways on the ladder and never change your commute.... lol

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
oh now this makes sense....the way they were talking, i had the impression that people were just up and quitting because they didn't like what they were receiving at one company or one position...

there are people i know, that switch jobs every few years, but it just seems like an endless cycle of not really climbing a corporate ladder...it's like they are title chasers...but most times they have the title, but nothing of substance to go along with it.....some would even take pay cuts...in another company, just to have a higher title...then hope for the best
yeah that is not using your head at all about things and enough people will do this hoping it parlays into something more and it never does. You have to be smart and strategtic and your horizontal moves if you are concerned about moving up the ladder.

I had to catch up with my brother a few years ago because he is someone who gets frustrated by office politics and not getting the opportunities he wants when he wants it. I told he you cant just quit a company just like so with out having some kind of end game in mind.

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
with mergers and acquisitions you can be sitting in the same desk for years and work for several different companies and have several different titles and duties. go up, down and sideways on the ladder and never change your commute.... lol
LOL true. this was true for a past manager of mine.

no bueno. i eh doing that. personally, i'm not going somewhere else if there is no challenge...title or not. i eh tryin to play myself

T

T-MAKAA

:rolleyes:

Lucianite

Company loyalty is a thing of the past,,, the people hiring know that too.. they are moving too... companies too are hiring more consultants , outsourcing etc - no employee loyalty

you can move around up to a certain age....that's changing too ..

funny when people say company X is the worst company to work for - its an individual thing. Even when i have left an institution/corporation I never discourage others from working there- they might fit it ...

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
i realise that micromanaged working environments are not good for me.. i prefer autonomy .. cos if you gotta tell me to do something, how to do it, hover over me to make sure its being done the way you said, then you might as well automate it or do it yourself..

TOLOMB

Red Man
Level of Education.....dictates job choices, decisions, and career path.

It explains a lot in this thread.
Can you elaborate a bit......cause I thought it would be level of debt and responsibility that would dictate how long someone stays at a particular job?

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
Can you elaborate a bit......cause I thought it would be level of debt and responsibility that would dictate how long someone stays at a particular job?
*sarcasm* i guess that is only a reality for uneducated folks....educated folks can do whatever the hell they please because the job market is WIIIIIDDDDEEEEE OPEN and there are many jobs for educated people to pick, choose and refuse

MÉCHANT LOUP

Cervical Cancer
you know what...scratch that last post.

AGE is the factor in this thread.

Note that those in their job over 10+ years are 35+ yrs old.

NASDAQ

At my office word is that management said “ they want titles, they can have all the titles they want” this one Dept have 4 persons and 2 are supervisors. another depts have 4 -5 supervisors for 16 people. Titles mean nothing if it’s not managerial in my eyes.

T

T-MAKAA

It's kind of true in most cases. If u are limited in education . I say education in terms of what's on paper you cannot leave that one job. You arent really in demand.

iPicong

10-15 years ago you could jump from job to job and had the pick of the litter........now you better hold on to what you have tight.....I know people with average and above average education and skill levels having a hard time finding jobs and when they do get a sniff employers are trying to pay below entry level salaries and forget about benefits......this is a critical time all over......there is a major shift to do away with workers rights and benefits.....I couldn't imaging taking a job that offers no pension and union protection.