How long have you...

massive25

5 yrs. and i work from home along with receiving PTO days which is better than the sick/vac/personal day break down. i can't complain but i do plan on leaving for a less monotonous profession.

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
Why is this a surprise? why wouldn"t anyone stay at a job?
it's not unheard of for people to stay at the same workplace for years and years. i just didn't expect that the majority of the responses would've exceeded five years.

someone may not want to stay at a job for a number of reasons. could be work environment. there could also be limited room for growth. you may not get along with your manager or coworkers. you may want to do the same thing but in a different industry. etc. the list can go on.

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
5 yrs. and i work from home along with receiving PTO days which is better than the sick/vac/personal day break down. i can't complain but i do plan on leaving for a less monotonous profession.
how many PTO days or hours per pay period do you get? at my old job we got 15 days. at my current job they start you off w/ 15 days vacation and 10 sick days. for every year that you're there, you get an additional vacation day

B

Black Madonna

it's not unheard of for people to stay at the same workplace for years and years. i just didn't expect that the majority of the responses would've exceeded five years.

someone may not want to stay at a job for a number of reasons. could be work environment. there could also be limited room for growth. you may not get along with your manager or coworkers. you may want to do the same thing but in a different industry. etc. the list can go on.
i got ya. It just funny that that you geared the question to people who have longevity and asking what is making us stay. You easily listed why people leave quickly, but have to ask what makes someone stay.

that leads me to believe that many people dont comitt to jobs like they used to. pretty much like relationships. everybody can easily tell you reasons to leave but never know how to stay for the long haul

it's a reflection of the times we live in

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
i got ya. It just funny that that you geared the question to people who have longevity and asking what is making us stay. You easily listed why people leave quickly, but have to ask what makes someone stay.

that leads me to believe that many people dont comitt to jobs like they used to. pretty much like relationships. everybody can easily tell you reasons to leave but never know how to stay for the long haul

yeah. i know a lot of ppl personally that have moved jobs over the years. i agree in that i think that ppl do not commit to jobs like they prob did in the past-- like relationships, as you stated.

if very specific things changed at my job, i'd be more willing to stay for a few more years but the things that will lead to my growth professionally and where i'd like to be in the long run (ideally i'd like to work for an intl company so that i could have the chance to possibly transfer overseas), will not change. at my current workplace i see many ppl-- mainly IT folks that leave w/in a matter of months. a lot of what i hear is that they're leaving to get paid better and to have a change at professional growth.

massive25

how many PTO days or hours per pay period do you get? at my old job we got 15 days. at my current job they start you off w/ 15 days vacation and 10 sick days. for every year that you're there, you get an additional vacation day
can't remember but it's 27-30 to start off the yr and we can carry over a max of 10 days. new employees start off with 15 PTO and go up to 20 after a yr.

massive25

true statement.

B

Black Madonna

yeah. i know a lot of ppl personally that have moved jobs over the years. i agree in that i think that ppl do not commit to jobs like they prob did in the past-- like relationships, as you stated.

if very specific things changed at my job, i'd be more willing to stay for a few more years but the things that will lead to my growth professionally and where i'd like to be in the long run (ideally i'd like to work for an intl company so that i could have the chance to possibly transfer overseas), will not change. at my current workplace i see many ppl-- mainly IT folks that leave w/in a matter of months. a lot of what i hear is that they're leaving to get paid better and to have a change at professional growth.
I think people arent satisfied because they think things are gonna be more "glamorous" than they actually are.

I stay because there is no reason to leave. My company is global, the benefits leave a bit to be desired (the dental anyway). I pay more than I"d like. The money is good and I have some flexibility.

yeah some folks get on my nerves and the company has gone through many changes since I have been there. we have had 4 names since I have been there. I have held so many positions
Worked for a subsidiary company and come back. Trained 4 classes of new hires. Frankly I am tired and looking to coast til retirement now and I am not even 40....lol

mz_JazE

Southern Belle

yup that's mainly what happens with us, so we get contractors for that. sometimes they leave within a couple of weeks because working here just doesn't have that many perks. they want you to work for far less than what you're worth. some people like it because they feel a family vibe around here. then there are those like me that have worked in different offices, and it's like man these people are petty and sneaky (at least in my department). I would only stay here if that would mean that I had the opportunity to get in another position.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
my coworkers and i get along great.. my boss is super.. the benefits are good, plus with the free gas we got with this hurricane business.. i dont think nobody leaving .. if i do have to move from my department, it will simply be to further my ambitions and not due to monotony of the job... but it will still be within the same company.. maybe another location but.. who knows..

T

T-MAKAA

It depends on the company. Some company its worth stayin in others it isnt. Years ago u would notice it was a great thing to be at one job for yearsss. Thats not necessarily the case these days in certain industries. 3 years at a job is good enough

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
It depends on the company. Some company its worth stayin in others it isnt. Years ago u would notice it was a great thing to be at one job for yearsss. Thats not necessarily the case these days in certain industries. 3 years at a job is good enough
i'm sorry....a person that can't stay at a job for more than 2 or 3 years is kinda unattractive...how do you ever get vested in a pension or those types of things....people always complain about atmosphere, room for growth and not getting along with coworkers etc...but how do you ever earn seniority, and respect amongst your peers if you don't put in the work?.....

it's like people don't want to PAY DUES...they think, they supposed to just have things the way they want it, coming out of the gate...and they keep moving on and you will never be able to build anything that way...that's so unstable

people keep moving from job to job, just to get 5k or 10k more a year, meanwhile they sacrifice benefits, seniority/favor etc etc...and do themselves a bigger disservice

T

T-MAKAA

i'm sorry....a person that can't stay at a job for more than 2 or 3 years is kinda unattractive...how do you ever get vested in a pension or those types of things....people always complain about atmosphere, room for growth and not getting along with coworkers etc...but how do you ever earn seniority, and respect amongst your peers if you don't put in the work?.....

it's like people don't want to PAY DUES...they think, they supposed to just have things the way they want it, coming out of the gate...and they keep moving on and you will never be able to build anything that way...that's so unstable

people keep moving from job to job, just to get 5k or 10k more a year, meanwhile they sacrifice benefits, seniority/favor etc etc...and do themselves a bigger disservice
Alot of jobs still have that? Mine does, but i heard alot does not.

In order to climb certain ladders, you have to keep switching jobs. I am talking about white collar jobs. Depends on industry.

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
i know that in my field and in this area, in order for me to really grow, i have to switch jobs. if i were a lot older then maybe i'd consider staying at the company b/c the benefits are FABULOUS, but i'm not there yet.

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
Alot of jobs still have that? Mine does, but i heard alot does not.

In order to climb certain ladders, you have to keep switching jobs. I am talking about white collar jobs. Depends on industry.
that is what i don't understand....how are you climbing ladders if you are switching jobs??? seems to me like you can't

NASDAQ

next year May will make 10yrs.. them have to fire me, i'm not quitting. Raise my pay and i will be a happy camper.. more women than men, it get a lil more strict but we still reasonable.
With jobs hard to come by leaving any job is crazy

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
that is what i don't understand....how are you climbing ladders if you are switching jobs??? seems to me like you can't
it may be easier to get a manager position at another company than to stay with your own company. e.g. at my company, if i want to become a manager, my boss basically has to leave. and even then it's not guaranteed.