Dying Teacher: Final SELF-Assignment

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
I've been up since 3am working and you know when you hit that tiredness wall where existential angst kicks in and you in delirium start contemplating the meaning of life while working? Yeah and then I see this :kicks

Good on him, and good for him and all the former students whose lives he has touched by his simple act of truly living.

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
What I often walk away from when hearing these stories...why do we only seem to "get it", when death is staring us in the face?

LB

What I often walk away from when hearing these stories...why do we only seem to "get it", when death is staring us in the face?
We need something to compare living to to appreciate what it is...and for humans the polar opposite is death....or thought of impending death. I dont think we get our own mortality until moments like that.

You know when you step off a curb and almost get hit by a taxi cause you werent paying attention? That body rush you get from all the adrenaline? You feel more alive at those moments than any time else. Challenge is sustaining that feeling and make it carry you thru life lol

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
We need something to compare living to to appreciate what it is...and for humans the polar opposite is death....or thought of impending death. I dont think we get our own mortality until moments like that.

You know when you step off a curb and almost get hit by a taxi cause you werent paying attention? That body rush you get from all the adrenaline? You feel more alive at those moments than any time else. Challenge is sustaining that feeling and make it carry you thru life lol
So right, it's happened to me (stepping off the curb, only to realize a bus just zoomed past my nose :kicks).

Think if we all lived as if we were dying tomorrow, our lives would probably be lived with more meaning, fulfillment and purpose.

LB

So right, it's happened to me (stepping off the curb, only to realize a bus just zoomed past my nose :kicks).

Think if we all lived as if we were dying tomorrow, our lives would probably be lived with more meaning, fulfillment and purpose.
definitely agree, but we'd need to feel like we are dying before we do that is the tricky part!

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
definitely agree, but we'd need to feel like we are dying before we do that is the tricky part!
What is the it/thing that holds us back? Why do we fall prey for the most part of our lives to not living whole abundantly?

From what I've observed, childhood is when we seem to be most carefree and live honestly. When you observe kids playing and or playing by themselves...they are the most animated. They laugh as if they've heard the funniest thing ever, they sing silly made up songs, they skip and or walk funny down the street as it is the normal thing to do.

It seems when we "grow up", we are the most miserable. We acquire more things for fulfillment, we stay in jobs/careers we detest, and or just spend so much energy conforming to external factors and not listening to our inner voice. Only to end up on our death bed running through the "I wish, if only i had, damn..i should have, oh man, i could have...etc."

LB

What is the it/thing that holds us back? Why do we fall prey for the most part of our lives to not living whole abundantly?

From what I've observed, childhood is when we seem to be most carefree and live honestly. When you observe kids playing and or playing by themselves...they are the most animated. They laugh as if they've heard the funniest thing ever, they sing silly made up songs, they skip and or walk funny down the street as it is the normal thing to do.

It seems when we "grow up", we are the most miserable. We acquire more things for fulfillment, we stay in jobs/careers we detest, and or just spend so much energy conforming to external factors and not listening to our inner voice. Only to end up on our death bed running through the "I wish, if only i had, damn..i should have, oh man, i could have...etc."

Great question. Kids I have always thought live what I call "close to the ground". ie) They are still so new to the world that every little thing is brand new and interesting to them. That's why I love to watch them play and create imaginary worlds....that ability to think out side the box and be joyful in the moment.

You get older, and every thing is no longer "brand new" and loses its shiny bits to inspire. Plus, school, parents, environment breeds all of creativity out of you with rules, expectations and regulations so gradually you dont even notice you've put away all of your wonder and awe. And you stop living in the moment and focus on what you have to do next minute, next day, next week etc. Next thing you know, you are ready to commit hari kari because life has no meaning...but as you jump off that building edge, tumbling towards the ground to met your death, you are completely in the moment and you realize life is worth living and is precious.....but it's too late to change course. We wake up at the wrong moment when you dont live in the moment.

Yeah, I need to sleep lol

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
Great question. Kids I have always thought live what I call "close to the ground". ie) They are still so new to the world that every little thing is brand new and interesting to them. That's why I love to watch them play and create imaginary worlds....that ability to think out side the box and be joyful in the moment.

You get older, and every thing is no longer "brand new" and loses its shiny bits to inspire. Plus, school, parents, environment breeds all of creativity out of you with rules, expectations and regulations so gradually you dont even notice you've put away all of your wonder and awe. And you stop living in the moment and focus on what you have to do next minute, next day, next week etc. Next thing you know, you are ready to commit hari kari because life has no meaning...but as you jump off that building edge, tumbling towards the ground to met your death, you are completely in the moment and you realize life is worth living and is precious.....but it's too late to change course. We wake up at the wrong moment when you dont live in the moment.

Yeah, I need to sleep lol
:kicks don't know why that makes me giggle, maybe because I haven't heard it in forever.

You're right, seems almost sucky to grow up.

LB

:kicks don't know why that makes me giggle, maybe because I haven't heard it in forever.

You're right, seems almost sucky to grow up.
And I was going to google it to see if I spelled it right, then thought screw it, she'll know either way :kicks

How often do we all swear to change/do this or that differently when someone we know dies? We have that light bulb moment. All of a sudden our own morality is staring us in the face and we want to buck up.....until the shock wears off and we fall back to the status quo....all guilty of that.