Could never understand how Barbados is First world and not Trinidad

Garph

What the hell is holding us back? Are bajans really smarter than us? We are A oil,and energy producing country.What the Fu" is going on here? How in the world can Barbados be A more competitive country with better infrastructure, and ICT ranking than us. Even they god-dam currency.

EloquenceInc

Get your passport & come !
What the hell is holding us back? Are bajans really smarter than us? We are A oil,and energy producing country.What the Fu" is going on here? How in the world can Barbados be A more competitive country with better infrastructure, and ICT ranking than us. Even they god-dam currency.
You guys need to bring your businesses and underlings on staff out of the prehistoric era and get with the 21st century program. All that oil money and you all can barely accept online payments for anything...

I tried to wire money to a Trinidad mas band's trini bank account before. What a joke, the bank took forever to process the thing and then sent it BACK. Business in today's world moves at the speed of light, with the click of a mouse...AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT.

You all have the oil money but don't know what to do with it, is how it comes across sometimes... the mentalities need to arrive in the 21st century and then you can know what to do with your oil money and be first world any minute now.

Taj

Loyalty to Loyalty
Foreign investment
the ease of doing business
tax breaks even many trini conglomerates and int'l ones have their HQ in barbados b/c of this
the mentality of the ppl when you are given everything you know the value of nothing neither what work truly is - not all the citizens but just enough for it to be a problem
the antiquated banking system and mentality they're making a lot of money but not doing a damn investment they just making $ for them canadian banks and wherever those other banks owned by
the lack of legislation governing what that chick said the whole deal of online transactions
technology there are many ppl versed in creating customer solutions but many companies dont see the importance of it since they've been doing it a certain way forever.

Its a place with no proper systems in place but its like that b/c that makes it easier to conduct improprieties steal money and keep the society stratified. The system as it is works but not for the majority.

Now you comparing to Barbados and their numbers look nice etc but many of their citizens are still suffering a lot. After 2008 many businesses closed, many deals fell through Massy bought over a supermarket chain and almond resorts and had to sell the supermarkets and struggled to get the resort off their hands. Barbados was in dire straits for a long while after the meltdown. And that currency thing is artificial so doh study that rate. So you may look at their numbers and fume but everything aint gold.

Georgeflash

Who feels it knows it!
Barbados is first world garbage.
Who considers that steaming pile of shyte of an island first world?
By what metrics?

Barbados is first world garbage.
Who considers that steaming pile of shyte of an island first world?
By what metrics?
Really george? Why would u try to diss an island that has a better economy and standard of living in every single metric than your island.

Stop it! Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house

Georgeflash

Who feels it knows it!
Really george? Why would u try to diss an island that has a better economy and standard of living in every single metric than your island.

Stop it! Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house
Better standard of living?
What is their economy based on?
Show me their GDP.

I would spend a month in Laventille than a night anywhere in Barbados. I could never wash that stink off.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Show me their GDP.

I would spend a month in Laventille than a night anywhere in Barbados. I could never wash that stink off.
Could Barbados really be that bad to George?! :kicks

PS:
There are some decent people and areas in Laventille with some of the best views of PoS that you will ever get but there is a media campaign led by the rich folks to always paint Laventille in a bad light to encorage poorer folks to move out of the area so that the richer folks can move in and claim some of the prime land that they have had their eyes on for many years. I hope the poorer follks of Laventille wake up to this reality and stop fighting against each other and so stop helping the richer folks to achieve their goal of stealing prime land and property off of the poorer ones in Lanventille.

bktrini305

Show me their GDP.

this isn't as good as the smallie appreciation thread. i'm sorry

robblaten

This term 'First World' has no real meaning and is partly based on skin colour prejudice. Barbados, Trinidad (to which I have not been) and obviously the Bahamas are First World in every single indicator of human development. By Wealth per capita, Education, social spending etc. there is no test that can be used that would filter out these countries and leave half of Europe. It is basically just a colour thing, and one of identity and association.

Incidentally, Barbados traditionally embellishes its Human Development, where the Bahamas understates ours horribly (because nobody here or in government cares about outside perception). Statistics are lousy and outdated. But this year, the UN refined their methods and the 2014 UNDP human development index places the Bahamas at 8 spots ahead of Barbados, easily way out in front in the Caribbean region. Frankly, I think that still understates it.

Carib2

This term 'First World' has no real meaning and is partly based on skin colour prejudice. Barbados, Trinidad (to which I have not been) and obviously the Bahamas are First World in every single indicator of human development. By Wealth per capita, Education, social spending etc. there is no test that can be used that would filter out these countries and leave half of Europe. It is basically just a colour thing, and one of identity and association.

Incidentally, Barbados traditionally embellishes its Human Development, where the Bahamas understates ours horribly (because nobody here or in government cares about outside perception). Statistics are lousy and outdated. But this year, the UN refined their methods and the 2014 UNDP human development index places the Bahamas at 8 spots ahead of Barbados, easily way out in front in the Caribbean region. Frankly, I think that still understates it.
Agreed!

Easy, trinidad is a deeply divided society based on race and religion

with a history of deep corruption

Trinidad & Tobago is not really a country, but two islands with bounded together by space but there is no unity, and different groups have totally different ideals and goals.

robblaten

I guess the best indicator of whether a country is 'First' or 'Third' world is whether it is an importer or exporter of labour. If the poorest groups, faced with a choice, would not leave, then it is essentially first world. The fact that most Caribbean nationals do not need visas to go almost anywhere says it all.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Easy, trinidad is a deeply divided society based on race and religion

with a history of deep corruption

Trinidad & Tobago is not really a country, but two islands with bounded together by space but there is no unity, and different groups have totally different ideals and goals.
I don't totally agree with you.

T&T's main problem is that the Africans need to realise that the other groups are taking advantage of their disunity and unite together and support their own people's businesses first before supporting other people's businesses as the Afro-Trinis are the biggest spenders and so have potential to own the biggest and most successful businesses.

Once Africans in T&T unite and accquire more land to set up their own business ventures and become more independent of working for the other groups then they will get their deserved respect and T&T will be just fine.

We do have a corruption problem though especially with our current racist government who have solid plans to turn T&T into another Guyana if Trinis take God out of their thoughts and vote them back in during the next general elections. What happens in T&T over the next 6 months politically can well decide T&T's future in being able to fulfill its true potential as a first world nation or if we will end up worse off than Guyana.