Calypso tents

Redlocks

Mr. BALTIMORE
I have only been to carnival in Trinidad once (in 1995). I arrived one week
before Carnival Tuesday and stayed with a family living in Cascade. From
the moment I arrived I had a full plate of activities including fetes, invitations
to parties at people's homes, the Panorama finals, etc. Sadly I never made it
to a calypso tent. Can someone describe what the experience is like and
maybe explain calypso tents of the past vs those of today?

TriniTrini

Unique woman
I have only been to carnival in Trinidad once (in 1995). I arrived one week
before Carnival Tuesday and stayed with a family living in Cascade. From
the moment I arrived I had a full plate of activities including fetes, invitations
to parties at people's homes, the Panorama finals, etc. Sadly I never made it
to a calypso tent. Can someone describe what the experience is like and
maybe explain calypso tents of the past vs those of today?
It is a wonderful experience.
I love calypso. When you go to a tent expect calypso on politics, some with a jumpy beat, comedic ones, songs with double standard, songs about current events. The artistes have live bands, you will listen to sweet brass. Sometimes there are two mcs in one tent. North side has the most calypso tents. Sando (San Fernando) has one. Some tents travel to parts of Trinidad. If I remember right about 2 Saturdays or so before Dimache Gras there is a fiesta. From each tent the best is picked, then at the fiesta they compete to be the final contestants to be seen on Dimache Gras. I encourage you to go.

Sadly some people don't go to the calypso tents. You will leave having a time. In NY around labor day there is a Big Apple Tent. I had fun last year. I could not go this year but my mom said it was fun. It is similar to Trinidad's tents. Band was sweet: KC and the Sunshine band. About 15 or so calysponians performed. Rachel Price had the crowd cracking up. You laughed, you danced.... This is similar to tents in Trinidad.

Last edited:

Dr Insane

I love calypso. When you go to a tent expect calypso on politics, some with a jumpy beat, comedic ones, songs with double standard, songs about current events. The artistes have live bands, you will listen to sweet brass. Sometimes there are two mcs in one tent. North side has the most calypso tents. Sando (San Fernando) has one. Some tents travel to parts of Trinidad. If I remember right about 2 Saturdays or so before Dimache Gras there is a fiesta. From each tent the best is picked, then at the fiesta they compete to be the final contestants to be seen on Dimache Gras. I encourage you to go.

Sadly some people don't go to the calypso tents. You will leave having a time. In NY around labor day there is a Big Apple Tent. I had fun last year. I could not go this year but my mom said it was fun. It is similar to Trinidad's tents. Band was sweet: KC and the Sunshine band. About 15 or so calysponians performed. Rachel Price had the crowd cracking up. You laughed, you danced.... This is similar to tents in Trinidad.
we have tent's but i doh listen to calypso. but i have beeen to one it was iight.

Redlocks

Mr. BALTIMORE

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8mNGbE_MGw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8mNGbE_MGw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Thanks for the description. I was fortunate enough to see Black Stalin
at the Champions Concert on the Saturday after Carnival as well as
a little extempo featuring Gypsy (and maybe either Sugar Aloes or Cro
Cro). It sounds like I should have arrived a couple weeks earlier to visit
some of the tents.

TriniTrini

Unique woman
Thanks for the description. I was fortunate enough to see Black Stalin
at the Champions Concert on the Saturday after Carnival as well as
a little extempo featuring Gypsy (and maybe either Sugar Aloes or Cro
Cro). It sounds like I should have arrived a couple weeks earlier to visit
some of the tents.
Ur welcome.
Well Black Stalin is a boss among Trinidad and Tobago's many Calypso greats.
Gypsy and Black Sage well yes extempo greats. SANTIMANITAY!! :kicks
You can see Black Sage's picture here (he usually wears a hat in his perfomances): TriniSoca.com - Strong TUCO 2007 Extempo Competition.
Sugar Aloes and Cro Cro (the Mighty Midget) are two boss too.

KolivanP

Custom canopy is undoubtedly one of the key factors for safe outdoor recreation and comfortable dissolution in it. And we really want you to get out of the world of concrete walls more often after the first nights, wanting to spend the night again in your cozy tiny dwelling on the shore of some picturesque lake.