Being an African American

T

Toppa_Toppa

Mystic Xtremist said:
Riiiiiiight.

So basically, if even what you're saying were actually true, you're basically saying it's a completely haphazard term that defies any strict definition. thanks.

Find a Japanese and call him Oriental and see if you don't get cuss.
No, the moral of the story is Americans are sensitive. Only in the U.S is the term Oriental offensive. And what I said is true.

carib_xtc

XTC Inc.
fntsy19 said:
well for one she don't like the chinkee eyes..(which i find is nice on most of them) she did dye her hair blonde then she used to be sayin how she look fat and she slimmer than me...one thing tho the girl had style...all her outfits and shoes were hot!
hmmmmm... anything else?? cause I know a few black girls who dyed their hair blonde or wear blond wigs.....and i have a black friend who thinks she is fat but is almost anorexic :dirol:

T

Toppa_Toppa

fntsy19 said:
speakin of asians...i find they have an identity problem..it seems as tho they are not proud of who they are..for ex at my las job there was this asian dude(very attractive i might add) so i ask him..'phil so where r u from'? he says uhhh california i'm like ok..u damn well kno i mean where in asia u descend from...and even my chinese friend..she acts like she want to be white or somethin
Well, they have the highest out-marriage rate of any ethnic minority in the U.S at 50%, but, whatever.

Shandy 2.0

God is my pilot
kevlocks said:
agreed! It was just wierd how it came about. even his peoples looked at him like :eek: :eek:
:kicks and of course, this thread is going to go at least 98 pages.

Oh well, back to World Cup action.

OOH! Brazil and Japan at 3:00. dance1 dance1 Jogo Bonito and all that good stuff. :pig_ball:

sharkie said:
wait wait.

so because he tellin u he from a state and not a country...he have an identity problem??

he pose de question wrong in de first damn place.
well i'm not basin my assumptions on that particular incident..i noticed that over some time...i even spoke to this girl i met (a japanese and indian mix-firs time i meet a mix like that) and she was tellin me how it is growin up in japan and how they do have an identity problem..she said how they look at outward races and kinda wanna be like them mainly white or black...

Mystic Xtremist

xtremeintl.com
Toppa_Toppa said:
No, the moral of the story is Americans are sensitive. Only in the U.S is the term Oriental offensive. And what I said is true.
For 50, maybe closer to 100 years in the U.S. it was used in a completely offensive manner.

I'm sure the next time someone of another race calls you n!gger, you won't get all sensitive, seeing as how you're not American and all.

kevlocks

aka Karl Logan
shandy said:
:kicks and of course, this thread is going to go at least 98 pages.

Oh well, back to World Cup action.

OOH! Brazil and Japan at 3:00. dance1 dance1 Jogo Bonito and all that good stuff. :pig_ball:
you know what, to be honest, I didn't see him as being racist. ignorant, yes. But racism in this country is much different than it is other places, which will cause ceratin situations like these.

I still think it was a corny joke. :read:

T

Toppa_Toppa

Mystic Xtremist said:
For 50, maybe closer to 100 years in the U.S. it was used in a completely offensive manner.

I'm sure the next time someone of another race calls you n!gger, you won't get all sensitive, seeing as how you're not American and all.
Well, seeing as the word "nigger" is universially accepted as being offensive, and the word "oriental" isn't, I just can't see the analogy.

Mystic Xtremist

xtremeintl.com
Toppa_Toppa said:
Well, seeing as the word "nigger" is universially accepted as being offensive, and the word "oriental" isn't, I just can't see the analogy.
Universally? Interesting :read:

The analogy is, if people tell you something offends them, have enough respect for them to accept that instead of dismissively glossing over them as "sensitive", and enough respect to refer to them as they rightfully ask to be identified.

T

Toppa_Toppa

Mystic Xtremist said:
Universally? Interesting :read:

The analogy is, if people tell you something offends them, have enough respect for them to accept that instead of dismissively glossing over them as "sensitive", and enough respect to refer to them as they rightfully ask to be identified.
Well of course if something offends someone I won't continue with using it in reference to them. I was just making a point.

blackamericanprincss

So after browsing, I'm not sure which all comments were said, but I agree with the person that mentioned the term "African American" being chosen by leaders and not exactly the people in general. The term does cause confusion in regards to those actually from Africa and those who had ancestors from Africa hundreds of years ago. It would help for there to be a better distinction somehow.

kevlocks said:
you know, here in the states, when a person speaks correct english wihtout the use of broken english and without and international phonetics, it's seen as acting "white".

:rolleyes:
Someone told me the other day that I speak like a white person. Boy, did I tear into them! :butcher:

Mystic Xtremist said:

Or calls you a negro.

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
:kicks:kicks@how the TOPIC changed from WHITES born in Africa calling themselves AFRICAN AMERICAN to ORIENTAL

L O S T
Toppa_Toppa said:
Only Americans think the term "oriental" is derogatory.
I had an asian american friend who told me not touse that word.
IHO oriental should be used for objects not people.
she asked me to say asian