Being an African American

T

Toppa_Toppa

GoldenBrown said:
I agree. It is a very assumptive label based on misleading phenotypical characteristics that belong to more than black americans.
But the term African American applies to the descedants of the enslaved Africans in the U.S and it refers to a particular culture and history. It's an ethnic indentification, not racial and therefore isn't synonymous with the racial classification of "Black". Americans think that it is and that's why they look astonished when I tick "other" as opposed to African American.

Nisha7

Going home soon...
Hotgirl: That is the point. It has become a catch all phrase for any black person in this country, which does a disservice to those who are american of african descent and those whose roots detoured in other places within the diaspora.

Shark: Afro-AMerican (which denotes a part of diaspora) black american.

and i dont think we can say it was the term was selected by the black population in america, it was selected by black leadershp, which is a whole nother post.

kevlocks

aka Karl Logan
fntsy19 said:
whats wrong wit jus the title black? it have black, white, hispanic, asian,(asian can be broken into oriental and indian)
that's like calling a pueto rican spanish. I don't think they would take to kindly to that.

Mystic - :kicks nah, he nor the other guy wasn't worth that much attention.

T

Toppa_Toppa

fntsy19 said:
whats wrong wit jus the title black? it have black, white, hispanic, asian,(asian can be broken into oriental and indian)
I don't think the term "Black" speaks much about a person. Yeah, racially I'll be classified as Black but the word "Black" doesn't speak for my culture, my history, my language, nothing that truly defines me as a person. Terms such as African American or West Indian tells so much more about an individual and about a people.

trinithunda

Big Steupss
kevlocks said:
that's like calling a pueto rican spanish. I don't think they would take to kindly to that.

nah i don't think a puerto rican would take offense if yuh call them spanish....b ut call them mexican!?!? :butcher:

carib_xtc

XTC Inc.
trinithunda27 said:
nah i don't think a puerto rican would take offense if yuh call them spanish....b ut call them mexican!?!? :butcher:
why would you call a puertorican mexican?? unles you made an honest mistake that is :dirol:

L O S T
kevlocks said:
So I go to an event this past weekend.

I meet this white man from South Africa.

He tells me that he was born and raised there.

I tell him "good for you".

Then he tells me that he just got his american citizenship two weeks ago.

I tell him "congradualtions".

Then he says "Thank you! Now I can truely see what it's like to be an AFRICAN AMERICAN!!!" :butcher: :assassin:

WTF!!?!!?!?!?!

Not only does he need to get the fack outta here with that BS, but that has got to be the WORSE joke that I've heard in quite some time!!!! :rolleyes: :butcher:
I kinda find that joke funny lol

While I was away I met this White Jwish guy from Tunisia

He said a couple years ago he met a black american

He said the BA guy accused him of being a racist or something to that effect.

he said he told him

what are you talking about???? (he didnt know fully about the black and white tension in the US or the full history behind it)

Im MORE African than you are!! :kicks

kevlocks

aka Karl Logan
trinithunda27 said:
latino. Spanish is the language or someone from Spain - someone told me this a while ago when I made the mistake.

GoldenBrown

Whatever Lola wants...
Toppa_Toppa said:
But the term African American applies to the descedants of the enslaved Africans in the U.S and it refers to a particular culture and history. It's an ethnic indentification, not racial and therefore isn't synonymous with the racial classification of "Black". Americans think that it is and that's why they look astonished when I tick "other" as opposed to African American.
Right, that is who it's supposed to apply to. But the misinformed base that label on phenotype and that is dangerous because many who look "African-American" are not at all but they don't bother to make or recognize the distinction. My co-worker is Panamanian and our other staff always refer to him as African American although he has an accent and is a native Spanish speaker. It annoys me because they don't bother to understand the difference. We're all just n*ggers to them.

kevlocks said:

i mean oriental is the term used to identfy people from the east..ok so use asian instead then

trinithunda

Big Steupss
mexicans are different from puerto ricans, are diff from cubans, are different from panamanians, and so on.....you mistake any of them for the other and you liable to get cussed out, thas what i meant....i don't think they take offense to callin them spanish, because that is still kinda broad

Mystic Xtremist

xtremeintl.com
trinithunda27 said:
nah i don't think a puerto rican would take offense if yuh call them spanish....
try it some time and see if you don't get cuss.
GoldenBrown said:
then rape his wife and turn him down for a small business loan...
now we cookin.....

kev, da least yuh could'a do is call 9-1-1 and report him for whistling at a white woman.