Being an African American

kevlocks

aka Karl Logan
So I go to an event this past weekend.

I meet this white man from South Africa.

He tells me that he was born and raised there.

I tell him "good for you".

Then he tells me that he just got his american citizenship two weeks ago.

I tell him "congradualtions".

Then he says "Thank you! Now I can truely see what it's like to be an AFRICAN AMERICAN!!!" :butcher: :assassin:

WTF!!?!!?!?!?!

Not only does he need to get the fack outta here with that BS, but that has got to be the WORSE joke that I've heard in quite some time!!!! :rolleyes: :butcher:

Last edited:

carib_xtc

XTC Inc.
kevlocks said:

Then he says "Thank you! Now I can truely see what it's like to be an AFRICAN AMERICAN!!!" :butcher: :assassin:

WTF!!?!!?!?!?!

Not only does he need to get the fack outta here with that BS, but that has got to be the WORSE joke that I've heard in quite some time!!!! :rolleyes: :butcher:

but he does have a point... isnt he the true african American? he is from africa.... why you get mad for???

kevlocks

aka Karl Logan
carib_xtc said:
but he does have a point... isnt he the true african American? he is from africa.... why you get mad for???
I wasn't. I just thought it was the worse joke ever. :mda:

my woman had the same take as you. What I've learned is that white people aren't the same from all over the world. The expereince brings a whole new dynamic to the term to me.

Prinzez Diva

Imix Official Prima Donna
That is like that white actress (come on allyuh help me with the name) who was born in South Africa. And when she won the Oscar reporters were calling her an African-American.

GoldenBrown

Whatever Lola wants...
kevlocks said:

WTF!!?!!?!?!?!

Was he being facetious or does he really think that he'll get the true "African-American" experience? Ironically enough, he would now be eligible for all minority programs based on his self-classification.

T

The JaM™

Well as odd a concept it might seem (white man calling himself African American)... technically de man is correct...lol

Nisha7

Going home soon...
I do not like the term African American. It is devisive and it alienates people...it also gives people like your south african friend license for such foolishness.

T

The JaM™

Prinzez Diva said:
That is like that white actress (come on allyuh help me with the name) who was born in South Africa. And when she won the Oscar reporters were calling her an African-American.
Charlize Theron?

kevlocks

aka Karl Logan
GoldenBrown said:
Was he being facetious or does he really think that he'll get the true "African-American" experience? Ironically enough, he would now be eligible for all minority programs based on his self-classification.
nah. he was joking (at least I hope). It was just a really corny attempt to "break the ice".

I had my fill of expereinces on that day.

Nica

SAINTSational
Prinzez Diva said:
Charlize Theron?

Nisha7 said:
I do not like the term African American. It is devisive and it alienates people...it also gives people like your south african friend license for such foolishness.
i agree...i don't call my self african trinidadian..u don't see white people callin themselves european american

Nisha7 said:
The term African american can be looked at as being just as foolish as his African joke

S

sharkie

omg, stfu.

it was a corny joke. :dntknw: the chem teacher in my h.s. is south african and white and makes that joke on the first day of classes to get a lil chuckle from the kids.

plus....technically he's right dammit.

T

Toppa_Toppa

Nisha7 said:
So what term would you prefer? Because the term African American applies to a specific group of people. I don't see it as devisive at all. It's a cultural and historical identity.

Prinzez Diva

Imix Official Prima Donna
I never liked that term and if it is on a application or such I usually check other and but in Caribbean-American or Trinidian-American

carib_xtc

XTC Inc.
fntsy19 said:
i agree...i don't call my self african trinidadian..u don't see white people callin themselves european american
you have a point but people do do it.. and all this african american shyt...... is the black community in America's fault for accepting the name.

S

sharkie

Prinzez Diva said:
I never liked that term and if it is on a application or such I usually check other and but in Caribbean-American or Trinidian-American
was dat?

i am NOT american AT ALL. i am afro-trinidadian. daiz wha i put.

S

sharkie

carib_xtc said:
you have a point but people do do it.. and all this african american shyt...... is the black community in America's fault for accepting the name.
good point. maybe they shoulda stuck wit coloreds and niggers :read:

kevlocks

aka Karl Logan
Here's another situation:

This one deals with stereotypes.

This guy starts up conversation with me.

He asks me where I work.

I tell him for the Federal Goverment.

He was amazed (for some strange reason)

He said OH REALLY!!!! So what do you do? Are you a Security Guard????
. :butcher:
. :butcher:
Crickets :butcher:​

I tell him that I'm a senior IT Analyst in the Office of The Chief Information Officer. *sticking my chest out with my wanna be superman stance*

He stands there shocked!

I tell him - you know what, I'm going to get some air. Nice meeting you.

I tell you man, ignorance is truely bliss. :mda: