Zouk & Kompas: What are the main distinguishing differences between these two genres?

Seawall

Another prominent feature of the konpa direk is the accordion. The instrument is real in the old classic below, but it is usually synthesized in present day konpa recordings.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZhA-IYwTQSM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cubano and Shah Skah live. Laid back konpa with a Cuban flavor.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lngIrzbQDyU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Contrast the above with a very uptempo live performance by Kassav. Note the lone sax player in the konpa performance and kassav's full horn section.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kYTqEa5uAQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kYTqEa5uAQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now here's Tabou Combo live. Classic Konpa leaves room for solos much like Cuban music and jazz. A comparison would be between the 70's Congolese rumba and 80's soukous. Soukous jettisoned the two part song structure of the rumba and jumped immediately into the fast paced, dance oriented sebene.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YpbKBztay28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Two kassav classics. Zouk uses strings rather than accordions (synthesized or real). Female singers (back up and lead) are also more prominent in zouk (Again, I'm making generalizations).

Note the Antillean percussion.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0rRO20Yj03Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/w8PELFABNHA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seawall

A slow konpa love song. Note the synthesized accordion at the 2:50 mark.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wPSRcztGQK8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would classify this as Afro zouk, or just zouk love, though Daan Jr. is Haitian and Teeyah is Ivorian (I believe). You have many of the younger Haitian artists recording zouk love songs, and many of older zouk artists from the cadence era will record 1 or 2 konpa/cadence tunes on their albums.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z5IQAd5i-1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's Simon Jurad, a Martiniquan artist who started during the cadence era, then flourished recording zouk, and is again recording konpa/cadence.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KFj5hKYUo6s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's a studio version of the konpa above. It's the original zouk version.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/X30J6HeCp74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seawall

Typical konpa and zouk drumming. The first example is better.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/n03bkaws-ow" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FB9EH8O8lsQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Is this tune here Zouk or Kompa or an equal fusion of both? Anyway I like it! dance1

Benz aka Mr Gwada - Pa Lage' Mwen [2013 DA Zouk Love/Kompa]
<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/25zB_qk0s2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Produce by Krishna 'DadaMuzic' Lawrence

The Uprising bouyon artist of Dominica is doing it big again ...but this time he doing it differently with such sweet zouk (compa) love music .To all the zouk and compa fans out there i know you will love this one.
This song was Produce by Krishna 'DadaMuzic' Lawrence at Cotton Groove Studio Dominica.

Lappo

Is this tune here Zouk or Kompa or an equal fusion of both? Anyway I like it! dance1

Benz aka Mr Gwada - Pa Lage' Mwen [2013 DA Zouk Love/Kompa]
<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/25zB_qk0s2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Produce by Krishna 'DadaMuzic' Lawrence

The Uprising bouyon artist of Dominica is doing it big again ...but this time he doing it differently with a such sweet zouk (compa) love music .To all the zouk and compa fans out there i know you will love this one.
This song was Produce by Krishna 'DadaMuzic' Lawrence at Cotton Groove Studio Dominica.
that is cadencelpyso with a little zouk

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
that is cadencelpyso with a little zouk
Not doubting you but why do you think the folks who posted the song to YouTube who are supposed to know about the music described it as sweet zouk (compa) love music in the description section?

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Just realized that Lappo never answered my question in above post #26 and it is now over 4 months since I posed my simple question. :rolleyes:

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Challenge to Lappo: Post to this thread 10 compas tracks and 10 zouk tracks all mixed-up and without any labels to identify whether they are compa or zouk tracks and lets see if I can correctly label/identify them.

If I can't get MOST of the labelling correct then you have proven that I can't tell the difference between both styles but if I get MOST or ALL correct then I've proven that I am now knowledgeable enough in this area just as any of you so-called zouk and compa lovers. :cool:

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
the way the organ is played gives it the cadencelypso swing
That still does not answer my question though. Here it is again.

Why do you think the folks who posted the song to YouTube who are supposed to know about the music described it as sweet zouk (compa) love music in the description section?

Also answer me this, which music came before which, compa or cadence-lypso?

tikreyol

Got Kompa?
That still does not answer my question though. Here it is again.

Why do you think the folks who posted the song to YouTube who are supposed to know about the music described it as sweet zouk (compa) love music in the description section?

Also answer me this, which music came before which, compa or cadence-lypso?
Why? Few reasons. One because they too aren't too sure about the distinctions themselves. Not only that you attract more people by labeling it both. And the majority of the popular songs coming out of all the Kreyol speaking countries are nothing more than hybrid songs that are mixing both the genres.

Konpa comes before Kadans-Lypso obviously.

Seawall

A good example of a zouk tune with some kompa (minor) influence.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_aRuLe9Up-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
A good example of a zouk tune with some kompa (minor) influence.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_aRuLe9Up-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This is what I would view as a standard Zouk Love track so I guess we can say that most Zouk Love tracks contain a slight Kompa influence.