Women the new face of infidelity ?

G

Gladiator

Don't see how this can surprise people in todays society

Research shows women may be cheating now almost as much as men. What are the tolls of new temptations?

Some 60 years ago, Alfred Kinsey delivered a shock to mid century sexual sensibilities when he reported that at some point in their marriages, half of the men and a quarter of the women in the U.S. had an extramarital affair. No one puts much stock in Dr. Kinsey's high numbers any more -- his sampling methods suffered from a raging case of selection bias -- but his results fit the long-standing assumption that men are much more likely to cheat than women.

Lately, however, researchers have been raising doubts about this view: They believe that the incidence of unfaithfulness among wives may be approaching that of husbands. The lasting costs of these betrayals will be familiar to the many Americans who have experienced divorce as spouses or children.

Among the most reliable studies on this issue is the General Social Survey, sponsored by the National Science Foundation, which has been asking Americans the same questions since 1972. In the 2010 survey, 19 percent of men said that they had been unfaithful at some point during their marriages, down from 21 percent in 1991. Women who reported having an affair increased from 11 percent in 1991 to 14 percent in 2010.

A 2011 study conducted by Indiana University, the Kinsey Institute and the University of Guelph found much less of a divide: 23 percent for men and 19 percent for women. Such numbers suggest the disappearance of the infidelity gender gap, but some caution is in order.

Read More Dr. Peggy Drexler: The New Face of Infidelity

G

Gladiator

..this is one writer who don't submit to the double standard.

Ananci_7

It will remain a surprise as long as words like "unfaithful" and "cheating" and "infidelity" are what people insist on using to describe non-monogamy, conjuring up or reinforcing the egregious idea that exclusivity/monogamy is the only morality.

G

Gladiator

It will remain a surprise as long as words like "unfaithful" and "cheating" and "infidelity" are what people insist on using to describe non-monogamy, conjuring up or reinforcing the egregious idea that exclusivity/monogamy is the only morality.
So how should non-monogmay be described ?

NASDAQ

Women were ALWAYS the face or should I say HALF the face. If a straight man cheats, who is he cheating with? a woman.
Some of these women knew before the affair and didn’t care. Some even pressed it… and form what I see around my office daily… WOMEN GET BUSY.
hahaha

G

Gladiator

Women were ALWAYS the face or should I say HALF the face. If a straight man cheats, who is he cheating with? a woman.
Some of these women knew before the affair and didn’t care. Some even pressed it… and form what I see around my office daily… WOMEN GET BUSY.
hahaha
I the straight man always cheating on his wife with a married woman ? ..because the article is more focused on married women or women in relationships

Mayak

Imix Bad Man
ah real man would put enough fear inna biitch to make her know that there's ah consequence for cheating...

Ananci_7

So how should non-monogmay be described ?
Oh I dunno, how about just another form of sexual interaction.

I mean, I'm not trying to trivialise what is a very sensitive and emotive issue for many people -- although it is becoming a dead horse on this forum in my view -- but the only reason why something like this is given any print at all is because even now the monogamy-is-the-only-morality is still peddled as the only narrative. So much has been written and discussed and yet.....

NASDAQ

ah real man would put enough fear inna biitch to make her know that there's ah consequence for cheating...
women that are with known gangsters have cheated on them.
u cant stop anybody from cheating.

I the straight man always cheating on his wife with a married woman ? ..because the article is more focused on married women or women in relationships
sorry
no he's not.

most married women get caught up with young single men. i know 2 situations going on right now

SKBai1991

Oh I dunno, how about just another form of sexual interaction.

I mean, I'm not trying to trivialise what is a very sensitive and emotive issue for many people -- although it is becoming a dead horse on this forum in my view -- but the only reason why something like this is given any print at all is because even now the monogamy-is-the-only-morality is still peddled as the only narrative. So much has been written and discussed and yet.....
but there's a difference between simply having multiple sex partners and infidelity. If the relationship you're in has an EXPECTATION of monogamy, violating that expectation is committing infidelity, period. Is monogamy the only morality? Of course not. But if you enter into a relationship with an expectation of monogamy and violate that trust between you and your partner, you're acting immorally.

Ananci_7

but there's a difference between simply having multiple sex partners and infidelity. If the relationship you're in has an EXPECTATION of monogamy, violating that expectation is committing infidelity, period. Is monogamy the only morality? Of course not. But if you enter into a relationship with an expectation of monogamy and violate that trust between you and your partner, you're acting immorally.
Valid points.

But therein lies the problem; the expectation of monogamy/exclusivity. I've said it repeatedly that barring the flat out scamps a great many people who end up having extra liaisons enter into relationships and marriage do so with the intent of being monogamous. They have no intent to deceive or lie to their partner. Thus their inner conflict when they do find themselves interacting with someone else whom they then find themselves having a sexual attraction which becomes so strong they act on it.....or just fantasise about acting on it.

We underestimate the power of the mindset of a societal custom that forces you from childhood to think that the only moral form of relationship is the monogamous one. Today, even though we have long since acknowledged the existence of open relationships, swinging, sexual friendships (aka friends-with-benefits), these are all presented as aberrations and immoral departures from the "proper" exclusive pairing: the concept of "the One" the soulmate, who has everything you need. This is twinned with the idea that love and exclusivity/commitment is one and the same. These egregious ideas are reinforced daily since childhood by love songs, romantic novels, soaps, dramas, rom-coms and of course religion.

The very language is built around the assumption that monogamy is the only morality. I come back again to Lynn Atwater's book The Extramarital Connection where she said that we don't even have words that describe extramarital liaisons that do not convey a sense of wrong, or sin or something forbidden. Indeed many of the words like "extramarital" and "premarital" sex subtly reinforce the assumption that the only approved sex is within the confines of marriage

Steupz

Valid points.

But therein lies the problem; the expectation of monogamy/exclusivity. I've said it repeatedly that barring the flat out scamps a great many people who end up having extra liaisons enter into relationships and marriage do so with the intent of being monogamous. They have no intent to deceive or lie to their partner. Thus their inner conflict when they do find themselves interacting with someone else whom they then find themselves having a sexual attraction which becomes so strong they act on it.....or just fantasise about acting on it.

We underestimate the power of the mindset of a societal custom that forces you from childhood to think that the only moral form of relationship is the monogamous one. Today, even though we have long since acknowledged the existence of open relationships, swinging, sexual friendships (aka friends-with-benefits), these are all presented as aberrations and immoral departures from the "proper" exclusive pairing: the concept of "the One" the soulmate, who has everything you need. This is twinned with the idea that love and exclusivity/commitment is one and the same. These egregious ideas are reinforced daily since childhood by love songs, romantic novels, soaps, dramas, rom-coms and of course religion.

The very language is built around the assumption that monogamy is the only morality. I come back again to Lynn Atwater's book The Extramarital Connection where she said that we don't even have words that describe extramarital liaisons that do not convey a sense of wrong, or sin or something forbidden. Indeed many of the words like "extramarital" and "premarital" sex subtly reinforce the assumption that the only approved sex is within the confines of marriage
Now let's talk about the real world.

You underestimate the power of what's obviously right.

Ananci_7

Now let's talk about the real world.

You underestimate the power of what's obviously right.
Oh really? Who defined what is "right" and what motivated that decision?

The mere fact that according to that "survey" an increasing number of people IN THE REAL WORLD are ignoring what people like you define as "right" shows up the baselessness in the established narrative.

*steuuups*

J

Juan Dan

Oh really? Who defined what is "right" and what motivated that decision?

The mere fact that according to that "survey" an increasing number of people IN THE REAL WORLD are ignoring what people like you define as "right" shows up the baselessness in the established narrative.

*steuuups*
are you the only one having sex with your women?

J

Juan Dan

:kicks: Dude what are u projecting with that question ?
most "playas" will say they have 5, 10, 15, 20 women

yet how many of those women are THEIRS SOLELY?
as in they the only ones who get to fukkk

a more apt definition of that would be they sharing the women with other men

hence if ananci is on some intellectual playa scheme

I am wondering if his women only have sex with him

or if me can fukk some a dem

cause me would to fukk a buncha women right now who believe in a certain mentality

TweetaFineeta

█♥█ TORONTONIAN █♥&#
In what ways women have the advantage over men ?
Cheating is about priority, access and opportunity.

A female technically has the last two on lock. Women always have men that want to sleep them no matter their looks, financial status, whether they are charismatic or not, social status etc.

Regarding the article ... I think females always cheated. Now it's just more open socially.