Why Do Some Black People...

Caribsun

SocaLuvinYardieGyal
use colorful ways to describe their complexion? For example, I heard someone describing another black person as "caramel-colored," or as "mocha," or "toasted-almond." Is it so hard to simply describe someone as light, medium, or dark brown? Outside of using those descriptions for choosing a make-up shade, I never understood it. People in Metro/DC area do it a lot. These descriptions are not very helpful, so why use them?

T

Trini Exhibitionist

:rofl: describe yourself, *well i'm blah blah blah, caramel complexion* :rofl:

Dougla Ting

Happily Ever After
well i'm caramel with a pinch of cinnamon and a twist of toasted almond syrup topped with mocha sprinkles. lol

PtHova

Im a SEXY B!TCH HATER
i neva know what they talkin bout when they say them things
im like lite skin, brown skin, or dark skin

Caribsun

SocaLuvinYardieGyal
allayunu ah tek dis ting fi joke...mi serious man! :rofl: Instead of me saying, I'm "mocha-splashed with a little creme, with a touch of cinnamon," why can't someone just say..de chocolate babe? Specifically, milk chocolate..the warm brown kind...

That's too much work...just say brown-skinned and be done. lol

Dougla Ting

Happily Ever After
Caribsun said:
allayunu ah tek dis ting fi joke...mi serious man! :rofl: Instead of me saying, I'm "mocha-splashed with a little creme, with a touch of cinnamon," why can't someone just say..de chocolate babe? I mean...brown-skinned..
b/c u can't just put all black people in 3 different color categories... there's just too many shades of us. although i just try to keep it simple myself... light, brown, and dark skinned.

T

Trini Exhibitionist

hell...i'm burnt sugar with spanish creme :rofl:

Caribsun

SocaLuvinYardieGyal
PtHova said:
i neva know what they talkin bout when they say them things
im like lite skin, brown skin, or dark skin
Thank you..I never understood it...it sounds so stupid when someone is describing someone to me and I don't know who the heck they're talking about...light, medium, dark.

Caribsun

SocaLuvinYardieGyal
Dougla Ting said:
b/c u can't just put all black people in 3 different color categories... there's just too many shades of us. although i just try to keep it simple myself... light, brown, and dark skinned.
I know. We have a range of hues to choose from. however, using the basic three keeps it simple, and it makes it more helpful when you are describing someone. I never hear men doe this when they're talking about someone. it's just some crap that women come up with when they don't want to call out someone as light or dark.

PtHova

Im a SEXY B!TCH HATER
Dougla Ting said:

true but all shades fit into a category
white people haves shades too
but what do we call them, whites

T

Trini Exhibitionist

I once heard that we have over 200 shades of black...dayum...that's a beautiful sight to see...

Caribsun

SocaLuvinYardieGyal
PtHova said:
true but all shades fit into a category
white people haves shades too
but what do we call them, whites
yeah..like a white person will call someone "French-vanilla," or "cafe au lait." Please...