UWI Student Makes History

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
UWI Student Makes History

Web Posted - Wed Nov 21 2007
By Khalil Goodman

Robert Luke Browne (left) from St Vincent and the Grenadines is the 2008 Rhodes Scholar. He is pictured here shaking the hand of His Excellency Sir Clifford Husbands, Governor General of Barbados. With them is Secretary of the Rhodes Trust for Jamaica and the Eastern Caribbean, Peter Goldson.

A TWENTY-TWO-year old UWI Cave Hill student from St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) is the 2008 Rhodes Scholar for the Eastern Caribbean.

Robert Luke Browne, a National Scholar for St. Vincent in 2004 and the President of the UWI Cave Hill Campus' Student Guild 2006-2007, is the first person to be awarded the Rhodes Scholarship from his island.

He was one of six students short-listed this year for the prestigious scholarship, and after several hours of long deliberations, was named the eventual winner. The announcement was made yesterday at the residence of His Excellency Sir Clifford Husbands, Governor General of Barbados.

Visibly elated by the news, Browne told the assembled Barbadian media that he will be contacting his parents as soon as he left the main hall. "They have supported me, not only in this process, and have had a lot of input in my development," he said.

Calling the intensive interview process "character building", the new Rhodes Scholar noted that all six of the short-listed students were extremely capable and he stated that he believed that they would all be actively working as leaders in the region.

For his part, Browne said he will be pursuing a MPhil in Development Studies with the hopes of acquiring a Ph.D. in the same field.

Once called "a bright and popular... future leader" by SVG Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves, Browne stated that he hopes to be able to work in the region in a leadership role.

"I think I would like to get my Ph.D. and continue thereafter to get qualified in law and... return to the Caribbean and work in some leadership role... in something that has a positive vision," he said.

The other students from the Eastern Caribbean short-listed for the Rhodes Scholarship were Maria Kodilinye from Barbados; Hazra Media from Antigua; and Stephen Punette, Kerolyn Chairsingh and Andre Coombs from Trinidad and Tobago.

The selection committee consisted of Sir Clifford as the Chair; Secretary of the Rhodes Trust for Jamaica and the Eastern Caribbean, Peter Goldson; Professor Trevor Munroe; Professor Christine Barrow; Dr. Desiree Cox; and Dr. Geoff Frankson.
Advocate
CONGRATULATIONS to Luke.

Ah nuh yuh LAWYER DADDY well PROUD ah yo.
The bare fact that this man carries the surname Browne destined him to succeed!
:kicks:kicks

I SEE.
Is he the first UWI student to get it?

BTW do you know who the scholarship is named after?
I am not SURE if he is the FIRST UWI to get it. I doubt it.

The SCHOLARSHIP is named after CECIL RHODES.

He was one of the EUROPEANS who EXPLOITED AFRICANS via DE BEERS and was an EXPLOITER of AFRICA too via RHODESIA..
That's why I asked. I am sure the young man is very proud of his accomplishments but knowing the history behind the person after whom the scholarship was named I personally as a black person would not accept it.
Caah have de LIL MAN reign PON VINCYLAND PARADE

I am CONFIDENT JAMAICA did.
I have read of cases where Jamaica doesn't accept scholarship from certain groups.

I guess they focus on the luke "prestigious scholarship" and not the man promoting it.

An example of a group Ja turns down today is basically any UNI in Germany.

They use to accept them, but because of racial problems when the kids get there we no longer send our kids to study in Germany...

And the Germans were complaining about how good their education system is, and rae rae blah blah, NO!!!

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
I have read of cases where Jamaica doesn't accept scholarship from certain groups.

I guess they focus on the luke "prestigious scholarship" and not the man promoting it.

An example of a group Ja turns down today is basically any UNI in Germany.

They use to accept them, but because of racial problems when the kids get there we no longer send our kids to study in Germany...

And the Germans were complaining about how good their education system is, and rae rae blah blah, NO!!!
The RHODES SCHOLARSHIP is one SCHOLARSHIP I am CONFIDENT that JA is not going to TURN down.

BAJANFUHLIFE

Nuff Trinis, Bajans and Guyanese have won this before

VINCYLAND now ketching up..MUDDERWUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT.

AT LEAST HE AINT A STATISTIC FUH VINCYLAND'S LOW LITERACY.

BTW, HE WAS SCHOOLED AT UWI CAVE HILL CAMPUS, BARBADOS. :yahoo:

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT.

CAVE HILL, MONA or St. AUGUSTINE, the RESULT would have been the SAME, because he done BRIGHT before going UWI.

trinidarkie

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT.

Imagine if not for the BAJAN dem,VINCYLAND would not have a RHODES scholar.

The VINCYS dem should be grateful to BARBADOS.

MUDDERWUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BAJANFUHLIFE

Imagine if not for the BAJAN dem,VINCYLAND would not have a RHODES scholar.

The VINCYS dem should be grateful to BARBADOS.

MUDDERWUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
U R MY BEST FRIEND ON IMIX.

IF IT HADNT BEEN FUH CAVE HILL THAT BOY WOULD BE HARVESTIN PINEAPPLES AND BANANAS AND CARRYIN DEM TO DE MARKET PUN HE HEAD.

TriniTrini

Unique woman
Wonderful news.

Forward thinking and positive:
"I think I would like to get my Ph.D. and continue thereafter to get qualified in law and... return to the Caribbean and work in some leadership role... in something that has a positive vision," he said.