Two killed in Labour Day J'ouvert celebrations.

notorious saga

Sagattarius
Two killed in Labour Day J'ouvert celebrations

bill_de_blasio.jpg

BY: LOOP NEWS

08:35, September 5, 2016

Two people were shot to death Monday at a carnival celebrating Caribbean culture in the hours before the city's annual West Indian Day Parade.

The bloodshed came amid unprecedented precautions taken by police to ensure safety at an event routinely marred by violence and a year after an aide to the governor was killed by a stray bullet.

A male in his late teens or early 20s was shot in the chest at around 3:50 a.m. Monday in Brooklyn during J'ouvert, the New York Police Department said. He was taken to a hospital, where he died.

A 66-year-old woman was shot in the hand and the arm at the same location and was taken to a hospital in stable condition, police said.

About 25 minutes later, a 22-year-old woman was shot in the head just a block away, police said. She died at a hospital.

Police say they're investigating whether the shootings are related.

A woman was also stabbed in the area, but police said she refused medical attention.

The NYPD had planned to double the number of officers patrolling the neighborhood where a procession of steel drums and costumed revelers was set to kick off at 4 a.m. for J'ouvert. The department also added 42new security cameras to watch over an estimated 250,000 revelers and illuminated this year's celebration with 200 light towers. For the first time, organizers of the parade were required to get a permit.

Police, in conjunction with community groups, also distributed fliers with a blunt message.

"This community will no longer tolerate this violence. Do not shoot anyone. Do not stab anyone," the leaflets said.

The changes come a year after Carey Gabay, a 43-year-old lawyer who had worked for Gov. Andrew Cuomo and was deputy counsel of the state's economic development agency, was shot in the head as two street gangs exchanged gunshots during J'ouvert festivities.

Earlier the same morning, a Bronx man, Denentro Josiah, was stabbed to death during festivities.

In 2014, a man was fatally shot and two people wounded during the celebration.

Organizers say the early morning festivities that led to what is now J'ouvert started in the 1980s.

The tradition originated in the Caribbean and is celebrated in several North American cities with West Indian communities, including Boston and Toronto.

The name, J'ouvert, means daybreak, put together from the French words "jour" and "ouvert."

City officials and community organizers have long chafed at the perception that J'ouvert, and the even larger West Indian Day American Day parade that follows hours later, are intrinsically hospitable to violence.

Two killed in Labour Day J'ouvert celebrations | Loop News Trinidad and Tobago

dedetriniking

Young knuckleheads who have nothing to do with the core of the celebrations....and don't know or don't care about how this looks for the parade.

Watch them try to cancel this thing again.

Lucianite

The mayor and em made a big effort to increase safety smh
But truth be told the vast majority was kept safe and went well
But it only takes a few
Root of problem is all the guns in the streets
And lack of respect for self and each other

Lucianite

The bloodshed came amid unprecedented precautions taken by police to ensure safety at an event routinely marred by violence and a year after an aide to the governor was killed by a stray bullet..
:(

notorious saga

Sagattarius
Yep, I go to loop before the Guardian or Express. Up to the time updates and notifications. You get breaking info sent to your phone before those other media.

What going on with those clowns? We can't have nothing without some foolishness going on. I stop going carnivals but it's a good thing for WI Americans to witness the culture - all this nonsense need to stop.

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
Young knuckleheads who have nothing to do with the core of the celebrations....and don't know or don't care about how this looks for the parade.

Watch them try to cancel this thing again.
They, the community can try....since eventually , the Jewish ppl and young whites will control the area !

Your point is correct, they don't care, but stopping it will not end the endless daily killings in NYC...and any major cities !

We are lost cause !

I don't know what they can do outside of gun controls laws to curb this !

I will really be happy when they shut this stupid parade down, it's just a bunch of fake Americans trying to be Caribbean because of their parents. Plus Caribbean people don't even like each other so why be fake and have a parade celebrating each other? They should should just have parades for the major islands and then bunch the smaller ones together to avoid the mammoth crowd

Trini

Jam

Guyana

Haiti

Those four countries should have their own individual parades and the rest of the nations can bunch together and have it on another day and it will solve a lot of the chaos. It's too huge and unmanageable.

Lucianite

All a we is one ..... despite u talking chir about hating each other, all others will join each others parade.... I was on DE parkway it was one love... all fjags and people's Co mingling aND still having their own sections

Mayak

Imix Bad Man
The parkway was fun.. most of the trucks sounded real solid.. d&v soundz and system shakedown..might of been the top2. Systems out there... the 3 haitian trucks were solid also..

All a we is one ..... despite u talking chir about hating each other, all others will join each others parade.... I was on DE parkway it was one love... all fjags and people's Co mingling aND still having their own sections
One love my tail, as a Lucian you may feel the love but I don't feel no love from some specific other West Indians.

Soon I will stop calling myself WI and only be proud of being TTO, we need our own cricket team too, I feel fake and false cheering for the West Indies cricket team.

notorious saga

Sagattarius
One love my tail, as a Lucian you may feel the love but I don't feel no love from some specific other West Indians.

Soon I will stop calling myself WI and only be proud of being TTO, we need our own cricket team too, I feel fake and false cheering for the West Indies cricket team.
Hoss you have split personality or what? one time you all for unity and the next time you spewing hate. it's either you want unity or not, gotta be consistent.

notorious saga

Sagattarius
Teen killed in Labour Day J'ouvert in Brooklyn was Trinidadian

21:03, September 5, 2016

The teenager killed during J'ouvert celebrations in New York is a Trinidadian.

Seventeen-year-old Tyreke Borel, was shot in his chest on Monday morning and died of his injuries at the hospital.

Reports say Borel was going to school and working as an auto mechanic, according to his great uncle David Brathwaite.

Borel, the eldest of three children, lived in the US for four years.

His father is said to be a police officer in Trinidad, where the teen will most likely be buried.

His mother told media that she warned her son not to go out for J'ouvert but he insisted on going.

She said police told her Borel was sitting on a bench alone at Flatbush and Empire Blvd. around 3:45 a.m. when he was shot. They believe he was not the intended target.

Borel was one of two people killed during the annual J'ouvert celebrations.

The other victim was 22-year-old Tiarah Poyau who was shot in a separate incident.

Teen killed in Labour Day J'ouvert in Brooklyn was Trinidadian | Loop News Trinidad and Tobago

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
Outside of the fact that most are outrage of these senseless execution over and over......

What have you done as a concern citizen, parent, or just being a decent human being to better your community and help some of these misguided youths ?

We have reach out to the NYC Council members to have or bring back vocational training programs, stiffer gun control laws, etc....it seems carrying around an illegal hand gun and facing 1 year in jail is a total joker and not a deterrent for them !

Most of these youths have no role model in the house......by the time they are teenagers, the mothers can't speak to them.....

Waiting to see what Eric Adams going to address any of these issues we have presented to him.

Outside of guns control laws and coming up with programs to help these youths who feel hopeless....what else can we as a community can implement to save them and from executing..innocent ppl ?

Lucianite

Outside of the fact that most are outrage of these senseless execution over and over......

What have you done as a concern citizen, parent, or just being a decent human being to better your community and help some of these misguided youths ?

We have reach out to the NYC Council members to have or bring back vocational training programs, stiffer gun control laws, etc....it seems carrying around an illegal hand gun and facing 1 year in jail is a total joker and not a deterrent for them !

Most of these youths have no role model in the house......by the time they are teenagers, the mothers can't speak to them.....

Waiting to see what Eric Adams going to address any of these issues we have presented to him.

Outside of guns control laws and coming up with programs to help these youths who feel hopeless....what else can we as a community can implement to save them and from executing..innocent ppl ?
I do think we concerned black citizens need to step up. Yes, there are lots who do but we need more. Part of the FALSE narrative is that nothing or none is doing anything. Just as you stated, you are part of those who are doing something - SALUTE!

right on bold - keyword - implementation...
part of it has to be that we have to have real love for those that we want to do better. Many are quick to diss those needing help. compassion is needed in the equation....

Lucianite

Maybe a movement should be started to push/encourage blacks who are able to reach out - - i mean a massive effort - no excuses of why one cant do more...

dedetriniking

I agree that a big problem is that these kids moral compass aren't being set properly in their homes.....but I think its a tough road for volunteers to take the role of a parent.