Tribute to the late Maestro.

JPF2086

It's been 35 years since Maestro's tragic death, back in August of 1977 in Trinidad. Maestro was currently working on his third album "Anatomy of Soca" for the following year 1978. Which unfortunately would be his last. Pelham Goddard were his arranger in his final album. Music were accompanied by the popular Soca Brass Band Charlie's Roots. Now Maestro's upcoming album "Anatomy of Soca" were recorded in late 1977. But it was really meant for 1978. The album was issued out on the Trinidadian label Kalinda KDS-2014. Then the following year, it was issued out on the US label Charlie's KDS-2014. Maestro first made his entry in 1975, with his hit "Tempo", In 1976, it was his hit "Fiery", Then again in 1977, with his hit "Rampage". Cecil Hume were a talented gifted calypsonian and composer. He was the cousin of the calypsonian The Baron. Some of the calypsonians like Ajala, Lord Melody (deceased), Mudada, Poser, and Super Blue had paid tribute to the late calypsonian Maestro. In their tunes. Like Ajala's tune "Soca Music (Tribute) (2000)", Lord Melody's tune "Tribute to Maestro (1977/78)", Mudada's tune "The Name Maestro (1978)", Poser's tune "Maestro (1978)" and Super Blue's tune "Virginia (1991)". If Maestro didn't die? He would've been around to existed in the 80's and 90's. In the Soca World. Along with Ajala, Ajamu, All Rounder, Arrow, Errol Asche, Atlantik, Bally, Baron, Black Stalin, Blue Boy (Now known as Super Blue), ChalkDust, Leon Coldero, Crazy, Cro Cro, Designer, Denyse Plummer, Duke, Gabby, Iwer George, Grynner, Gypsy, Rikki Jai, Elsworth James, Jayson, Kitchener, Colin Lucas, Machel, Merchant, Mudada, Natasha, Nelson, Organiser, Penguin, Poser, Power, Charlie's Roots, Rootsman, David Rudder, Singing Sandra, Scrunter, Shadow, Singing Francine, Sound Revolution, Sparrow, Tambu, Taxi, and Ed Watson And His Brass Circle, and King Wellington. Maestro were planning to take Soca Music to whole new level. The man had big plans. We'll never know anything more about this man. All I know is? He was Baron's cousin. The calypsonian Baron must have took it hard as Hell. When he lost his cousin Maestro in the late 70's. I know. It might be hard. For some people to believe. But the Baron and Maestro were related. Ras Shorty I use to write their music for them. Back in the 1970's. Shorty was the one, who penned Baron's 1971 hit "Severe Licking". So to all the people. Who love Soca Music. Give Maestro's some props. And some of the contributions this man had made. During in his prime of the 70's era. After 5 years later of Maestro's death. Montserrat calypsonian Arrow took Soca Music to a whole new level with "Hot, Hot, Hot" in 1982. That's it.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
I am glad that you’ve pointed out that Shorty wrote for both Baron and Maestro.
Some deluded clowns on Imix will have you believe the opposite and have been promoting Ananci stories about how Maestro wrote all of Shorty's songs. This is despite copyright and music documentation that Shorty wrote for both Maestro and Baron and was highly influencial in bringing both men into the calypso and soca business.

Btw Shorty also recorded a moving tribute to Maestro in 1978 not too long after Maestro's death.
Track can be found on Shorty’s 1978 “Soca Explosion” album.

Lord Shorty - Higher World Of Music (1978)
<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C1d5uCZCZg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JPF2086

Thanks SocaPro! I appreicate the support bredren! Everything I said was true! Especially the part I mention about Shorty's songwriting! Maestro's work in Calypso & Soca was a masterpiece in the 70's! He was the original Blue Boy of the 70's! I'm obsessed with his 1978 album Anatomy of Soca on Charlie's! It's a nice album! Pelham Goddard was on top of his game in the late 70's! Especially his band Charlie's Roots! That was a popular band at the height of their success!

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Thanks SocaPro! I appreicate the support bredren! Everything I said was true! Especially the part I mention about Shorty's songwriting! Maestro's work in Calypso & Soca was a masterpiece in the 70's! He was the original Blue Boy of the 70's! I'm obsessed with his 1978 album Anatomy of Soca on Charlie's! It's a nice album! Pelham Goddard was on top of his game in the late 70's! Especially his band Charlie's Roots! That was a popular band at the height of their success!
Yeah but I prefer to be more precise and refer to "Anatomy of Soca" as Maestro's summer/late 1977 album as that was the time it was recorded.
Also I vividly remember hearing Maestro's "Bionic Man" playing on the radio in T&T (when I was growing up) soon after he died. Hearing that track made me cry as it really then dawned on me the major blow that Soca music suffered with Maestro's death.
To compound the situation Shorty turned his back on the Carnival Soca scene just over a year later not long after recording his "Soca Explosion" album in 1978 to concentrate on raising his family in the right way.

We need to make a movie covering the early history of Soca featuring Shorty, Maestro, Ed Watson, Pelham Goddard, Art De Corteau, Shadow and King Wellington as these were the main pioneers involved in bringing the new Soca genre to the world in the 70's.
This movie can be even more interesting and entertaining than the Reggae or Bob Marley stories! :drinks:

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
:kicks :kicks the CLOWN called SOCA-AMATEUR

When I am done with my TASK at hand, I will ADDRESS a particular statement in your post.

Seawall

Winsford 'Joker' Devine Speaks
"It was 'Maestro' who wrote "Endless Vibration" for 'Shorty'. He used to write all those songs for 'Shorty' and he also wrote for 'Sparrow'. "Sa Sa Ya" and all those songs were written by 'Maestro'. Plenty people wrote for 'Sparrow'."

I was one of the first on this board who gave Maestro props. And I know someone from Point Fortin who was will disagree with the assertion the Shorty wrote music for Maestro. Rather, it was the other way around. She was there. How many of you were there. After Maestro died, shorty grabbed all of the credit.

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
"It was 'Maestro' who wrote "Endless Vibration" for 'Shorty'. He used to write all those songs for 'Shorty' and he also wrote for 'Sparrow'. "Sa Sa Ya" and all those songs were written by 'Maestro'. Plenty people wrote for 'Sparrow'."

I was one of the first on this board who gave Maestro props. And I know someone from Point Fortin who was will disagree with the assertion the Shorty wrote music for Maestro. Rather, it was the other way around. She was there. How many of you were there. After Maestro died, shorty grabbed all of the credit.
Well, it seems like you and I were of LIKED MIND because that is the EXACT info that I was going to post when I said when I am done with my TASK at hand, I will ADDRESS A PARTICULAR STATEMENT in his post.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers

What a load of badminded hog-wash! You know someone from Point Fortin who say this and who say that!
Well I could say that I know someone from GT who says that Seawall is a bullman, but does that mean that it is true, do they have any proof?

The fact is that Shorty was responsible for bringing both Maestro and Baron into the Calypso and Soca business and wrote songs for both calypsonians, that is beyond dispute and is documented as part of recorded calypso and soca history.

Everything else is hearsay, Ananci stories and rumshop talk! :drinks:

JPF2086

You guys can say. And think whatever you want. I strongly disagree with what you 2 are saying. Y'all got it backwards. I have the records by each of these calypsonains. I do my research properly. Maestro did not write "Endless Vibration" for Shorty. Shorty was the one. Who invent Soca. Not Maestro. Shorty wrote his own tunes. And wrote tunes for other calypsonians. I'm sorry. But you're wrong. Maestro did not write "Sa Sa Ay" for Sparrow in 1969. I have the record. It says composed by Slinger Francisco. Go get that through your heads. Don't be posting false info on my post. You 2 people don't know nothing about Soca. As well as I do. I watch the documentary. VincyPowa stick to what you know best. When it comes to Soca. That's the arranger Frankie McIntosh and St. Vincent. Leave the Trinidadian Soca talk to us. SocaPro is the only one. Who got some knowledge. Of what I'm talking about. Sparrow wrote most his own songs. I have every record by The Mighty Sparrow. So stop posting false infomation on my page. Winsford Devine wrote tunes for other calypsonians like Baron, Crazy, Designer, Machel, Natasha Wilson, De Mighty Trini and more. To you Seawall. You're wrong. Maestro did not write none of those tunes for Shorty and Sparrow. Keep posting more nonsense of rubbish on my post. We'll continue this later.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Apparently these fellas like Seawall, VP and others have been on Imix for years posting regular misinformation and Ananci stories about Soca music. That was until I took the time to read the board properly in January of this year and decided to start posting here in an effort to correct a lot of the misinformation regularly being spewed on here and being swallowed by some as facts.

Ever since the culprits with their misinformation agendas realised the embarrassment it would cause them when the truth is presented by someone in the know like myself; so they have been doing their best to vilify me here in SocaChat with childish name calling etc but all that to me is like water off a duck’s back. Speaking the truth and presenting facts that can be proven is what is important to me.

Welcome to the fantasy and Ananci story telling world of SocaChat where everyone is expected to swallow the nonsense being spewed here as facts if you wish to be welcomed with open arms by those on here with their anti-Trini agendas.
Keep presenting facts and you will soon be branded on here as SocaShitChat Enemy No.1 just like I have been! :drinks:

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
You guys can say. And think whatever you want. I strongly disagree with what you 2 are saying. Y'all got it backwards. I have the records by each of these calypsonains. I do my research properly. Maestro did not write "Endless Vibration" for Shorty. Shorty was the one. Who invent Soca. Not Maestro. Shorty wrote his own tunes. And wrote tunes for other calypsonians. I'm sorry. But you're wrong. Maestro did not write "Sa Sa Ay" for Sparrow in 1969. I have the record. It says composed by Slinger Francisco. Go get that through your heads. Don't be posting false info on my post. You 2 people don't know nothing about Soca. As well as I do. I watch the documentary. VincyPowa stick to what you know best. When it comes to Soca. That's the arranger Frankie McIntosh and St. Vincent. Leave the Trinidadian Soca talk to us. SocaPro is the only one. Who got some knowledge. Of what I'm talking about. Sparrow wrote most his own songs. I have every record by The Mighty Sparrow. So stop posting false infomation on my page. Winsford Devine wrote tunes for other calypsonians like Baron, Crazy, Designer, Machel, Natasha Wilson, De Mighty Trini and more. To you Seawall. You're wrong. Maestro did not write none of those tunes for Shorty and Sparrow. Keep posting more nonsense of rubbish on my post. We'll continue this later.
So, are you saying that WINSFORD DEVINE IS A LIAR?

When you are done answering that question, I will take you up on other statements that you made in that post of yours.

dedetriniking

It's been 35 years since Maestro's tragic death, back in August of 1977 in Trinidad. Maestro was currently working on his third album "Anatomy of Soca" for the following year 1978. Which unfortunately would be his last. Pelham Goddard were his arranger in his final album. Music were accompanied by the popular Soca Brass Band Charlie's Roots. Now Maestro's upcoming album "Anatomy of Soca" were recorded in late 1977. But it was really meant for 1978. The album was issued out on the Trinidadian label Kalinda KDS-2014. Then the following year, it was issued out on the US label Charlie's KDS-2014. Maestro first made his entry in 1975, with his hit "Tempo", In 1976, it was his hit "Fiery", Then again in 1977, with his hit "Rampage". Cecil Hume were a talented gifted calypsonian and composer. He was the cousin of the calypsonian The Baron. Some of the calypsonians like Ajala, Lord Melody (deceased), Mudada, Poser, and Super Blue had paid tribute to the late calypsonian Maestro. In their tunes. Like Ajala's tune "Soca Music (Tribute) (2000)", Lord Melody's tune "Tribute to Maestro (1977/78)", Mudada's tune "The Name Maestro (1978)", Poser's tune "Maestro (1978)" and Super Blue's tune "Virginia (1991)". If Maestro didn't die? He would've been around to existed in the 80's and 90's. In the Soca World. Along with Ajala, Ajamu, All Rounder, Arrow, Errol Asche, Atlantik, Bally, Baron, Black Stalin, Blue Boy (Now known as Super Blue), ChalkDust, Leon Coldero, Crazy, Cro Cro, Designer, Denyse Plummer, Duke, Gabby, Iwer George, Grynner, Gypsy, Rikki Jai, Elsworth James, Jayson, Kitchener, Colin Lucas, Machel, Merchant, Mudada, Natasha, Nelson, Organiser, Penguin, Poser, Power, Charlie's Roots, Rootsman, David Rudder, Singing Sandra, Scrunter, Shadow, Singing Francine, Sound Revolution, Sparrow, Tambu, Taxi, and Ed Watson And His Brass Circle, and King Wellington. Maestro were planning to take Soca Music to whole new level. The man had big plans. We'll never know anything more about this man. All I know is? He was Baron's cousin. The calypsonian Baron must have took it hard as Hell. When he lost his cousin Maestro in the late 70's. I know. It might be hard. For some people to believe. But the Baron and Maestro were related. Ras Shorty I use to write their music for them. Back in the 1970's. Shorty was the one, who penned Baron's 1971 hit "Severe Licking". So to all the people. Who love Soca Music. Give Maestro's some props. And some of the contributions this man had made. During in his prime of the 70's era. After 5 years later of Maestro's death. Montserrat calypsonian Arrow took Soca Music to a whole new level with "Hot, Hot, Hot" in 1982. That's it.
Thanks for the tribute. Maestro clearly had massive talent. I have songs from Anatomy and Rampage on constant rotation in my music collection. Those songs will not collect dust in my house.

"Reveller" to me was just way way way before its time. In that song Maestro was spitting lyrics way before rap music became a household name....portrayed a sickness in the bassline way before it was trendy to do so....and put pace to melodious songs...not just percussion type pace but pace in music with sweet melodies. Had he lived the sky would have been the limit for him.

dedetriniking

Two of his more noted songs remixed in this clip. Sweet melodious music with pace.....unheard of in the calypso fraternity back there in the 70s...search far and wide for music of that era and you will not find anything like it. As i said this music will continue to play in my environs as long as i'm alive.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pma28ViMcJ4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dedetriniking

Even today all these years later those two songs are totally totally sick. Music at its very very best...and able to stand with any kind of music anywhere. Listen to Reveller in that previous clip...it comes right after Rampage.

My gord! Everybody playing their arses off in that song. Isolate the guitar and listen to the playing strumming as if his life depended on it....isolate the bass and the playing banging away as if he is having his first sexual experience....the horns....maestro doing his thing on the vocals. Mannnn!

That kinda quality will stand the test of time.

JPF2086

Thanks dedetriniking! Nuff Respect! I had to do a tribute to Maestro! Maestro was one of the great calypsonians ever lived! If I ever get his 1978 LP - Anatomy of Soca on Charlie's! I'm gonna have it stored away in a safe place! Music is music! That is Soca!

JPF2086

@VincyPowa, No, I'm not referring the great composer Winsford Devine a liar. No way. Matter of fact. I'm friends with him through Facebook. He's a great guy. I know. The Mighty Sparrow write most of songs. I'm also aware that. He wrote his first tune "Jean and Dinah" in 1956. When he won his first Road March. And the Calypso Monarch that same year of 1956. But here's a interesting point though. Maybe, Winsford Devine did write some of Sparrow songs in mid and late 70's. Up to the early 80's. I have all of the Mighty Sparrow Volumes 1 through 4 on ICE Records. On the 1992 CD - Mighty Sparrow Volume 2 on ICE Records. I did see Winford Devine name credited and mentioned on the CD. For only the songs he composed with Sparrow. Same with the other CD - Mighty Sparrow Volume 3. I guess. You might've won that one. But maybe Winford Devine wasn't credited on Sparrow records. When it was first released on the original albums with those songs. But later credited on the CD. I don't know? That's all. I can come off with. So you won this round. But everything else. I'm staying on my ground.

Seawall

Yuh just killed any credibility yuh had.:lol

Seawall

@VincyPowa, No, I'm not referring the great composer Winsford Devine a liar. No way. Matter of fact. I'm friends with him through Facebook. He's a great guy. I know. The Mighty Sparrow write most of songs. I'm also aware that. He wrote his first tune "Jean and Dinah" in 1956. When he won his first Road March. And the Calypso Monarch that same year of 1956. But here's a interesting point though. Maybe, Winsford Devine did write some of Sparrow songs in mid and late 70's. Up to the early 80's. I have all of the Mighty Sparrow Volumes 1 through 4 on ICE Records. On the 1992 CD - Mighty Sparrow Volume 2 on ICE Records. I did see Winford Devine name credited and mentioned on the CD. For only the songs he composed with Sparrow. Same with the other CD - Mighty Sparrow Volume 3. I guess. You might've won that one. But maybe Winford Devine wasn't credited on Sparrow records. When it was first released on the original albums with those songs. But later credited on the CD. I don't know? That's all. I can come off with. So you won this round. But everything else. I'm staying on my ground.
Have you heard of calypsonians buying songs? There are many songs out there by Merchie and Preacher that they sold or gave away (another story). Duke also wrote for Nelson. If you know calypso, or the music business in general, then you shouldn't be so easily fooled.

JPF2086

@Seawall, All Right Seawall. I hate to admit it. But you might be onto something. I remember Crazy had paid Blue Boy (Now Known As Super Blue) to help him co-write "Nani Wine" in 1989. The year before that. Johnny King helped Tambu to co-write his 1988 Road March Tune "This Party Is It". So it might be a proven fact? That you are probably right on that part. But everything else still stands. Kitchie' wrote his own tunes. Shadow wrote his own tunes. And Sparrow mostly wrote his all his own tunes. I heard that calypsonians buy songs from other calypsonians. Probably, if they paid them a good amount of money. But I know for a fact. Yes, the album "Anatomy of Soca" by the late Maestro was recorded in the Summer of 1977. But it was released the following year in 1978. As a tribute to the late calypsonian. Maestro had his heart set for Carnival 1978. If it wasnt for that Damn tragic car accident. Maestro would've been around in the 80's and 90's decade. Maybe in the 2000's. But it was too late. He was already gone. 3 years before Blue Boy came on the scene with "Soca Baptist" in 1980. And Scrunter came on the scene with "Woman on the Bass" that same year.

Seawall

Funny, Sparrow is credited as composer on all my old album covers. He is still the calypso king, but he wasn't the prolific writer that he took credit for.

http://bestoftrinidad.com/profiles/devine.html

Devine was exposed to steelband music at a very young age when he played in the village steelband. The leader of the steelband was a cousin of his and he introduced him to reading and writing music. As he grew older, Devine developed into a self-taught musician. He went on to compose more than 500 calypsoes during a career than spanned over 30 years, beginning in the 1970s. Nicknamed the "Joker," he was the songwriter most sought after by the popular calypsonians of the period 1970 to 2000. Although confined to a wheelchair after suffering a stroke in 1998, Devine continued to write the lyrics and music for many calypsoes. The following is a listing by calypsonian of the more popular songs that were penned by Devine:
Mighty Sparrow - Rope; Capitalism Gone Mad; Phillip My Dear; Saltfish; Marajhin; Survival; Queen of the Bands; Miss Mary; We Pass That Stage; I Diggin' Horrors; Wine Back; Sailing; London Bridge
Crazy - Paul (Yuh Mudder Come); Take A Man; Crazy for Prime Minister; Leaders; We Badder Than Dem; Limbo
Baron - Feeling It; Jammer; Love and Cherish the Woman
Singing Francine - It's a Shame; St. Peter's Day
Mighty Trini - West Indian Cricket; National Pride
Some of the other calypsonians for whom Devine wrote songs were: Poser; Lord Blakie; Sugar Aloes; Lord Shorty; and Machel Montano. He also wrote a test piece, "Fire and Steel," for one of the Steelband Music Festivals.
AWARD:
1988 - Trinidad & Tobago Humming Bird Medal Silver (for Music and the Arts)