Racist Afro Jamaican

BacchanalDiva

People always look all incredulous when I say that any time I've thought myself the victim of racism its always come from a black person..

We're getting new windows put in my daughter's room today and the men showed up a lil while ago. I answer the door and two of them standing there..one black one white..I say "hi, you're here to install the windows?"...black one says "yes, are either of the owners home? They have to inspect everything and sign that everything is satisfactory when the job is done"..I say "I am the owner"..he raises his eyebrow and says "oh"...no apology or anything though the white one looks real embarrassed for him. Make it worse, he's JA and now he wanna talk all nice to me telling me he like my daughters's lil pink atv and how he send one just like it to Jamaica for his daughter. Someone else woulda put something in the ice tea I give him.

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
People always look all incredulous when I say that any time I've thought myself the victim of racism its always come from a black person..

We're getting new windows put in my daughter's room today and the men showed up a lil while ago. I answer the door and two of them standing there..one black one white..I say "hi, you're here to install the windows?"...black one says "yes, are either of the owners home? They have to inspect everything and sign that everything is satisfactory when the job is done"..I say "I am the owner"..he raises his eyebrow and says "oh"...no apology or anything though the white one looks real embarrassed for him. Make it worse, he's JA and now he wanna talk all nice to me telling me he like my daughters's lil pink atv and how he send one just like it to Jamaica for his daughter. Someone else woulda put something in the ice tea I give him.
nexx time doh ansah de door in yuh french maid role playin outfit nah :mda:

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings

you still gave him something to drink? :kicks

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
they looked thirsty and I couldnt' give the others and not give him. Trying not to hold ppl ignorance and bad manners against them lol
umm why? How else will they change their approach? Den again if yuh eh give him yuh would b ah stush stuck up duttyminded Trini who feel seh yuh reach caw yuh hav owse in fi dem typa neybahud :kicks

J

Juan Dan

they looked thirsty and I couldnt' give the others and not give him. Trying not to hold ppl ignorance and bad manners against them lol
be fair and admit that not many blk people might live in your neighborhood

also he might be a hoodrat from white plains road etc etc ny slum so he dont know no better

BacchanalDiva

umm why? How else will they change their approach? Den again if yuh eh give him yuh would b ah stush stuck up duttyminded Trini who feel seh yuh reach caw yuh hav owse in fi dem typa neybahud :kicks
:rofl: exactly. He have nuttin about him anyway, can't do anything for them types. He randomly ask me what my husband does. Funny, he ent ask me what I do. I must need a new suit.

LB

Here is the one story that sticks out for me.

There was a crew of girls I used to hang out when I was younger from when we were likkle bit. One of them decided to throw a party at her dad's house. She moved back in to go to post-secondary. Now she was the only white girl in out crew.

And where her dad lived was in one of the new high-end estate developments just going up on the edge of the city.

She invited a few new friends she had met. I cant remember how she met them in our city but the main point is that they were African-American. I know one of the guys she was kinda checking for so this was her way of having him around to get to know him.

So me and my other friend were helping her set things up...running to the store to grab things, sorting out the food in the kitchen bring extra chairs, etc etc.

Now these black Americans sh invited had arrived early because they werent sure about directions and if they could find the area because it was still kinda bush living back then. So they were there when me and the next friend arrived with some coolers and food and such. The other friend was in the kitchen organizing the food and thing.

We all are in the kitchen talking sh*t and teasing the white friend about something or the other. The black American she liked felt like were we outta line and said something like "how do let your help talk to you like that?"

We all whip around with WTF? looks on our faces. She of course says "these girls are my BFF's how dare you assume they are the fukking hired help? We don't do hired help around here?"

Then if he wasnt so dark his ass would have turned all different shades of pink at that moment.
He said back where he was from, the only time you see black ppl in neighborhoods like this are if they are the help. (I think he was southern I cant remember) So he was confused that a white girl had so many black friends for starters and that we all ran in the same circles. Nevermind the irony that he was a black guy checking a white girl in a predominantly white area.

But anyway, when tempers cooled off it lead to a good discussion about the expectations black people have of others within their own group. And how we internalize many of the same stereotypes of ourselves that we get so upset about if a non-white person believed in.

BacchanalDiva

be fair and admit that not many blk people might live in your neighborhood

also he might be a hoodrat from white plains road etc etc ny slum so he dont know no better
This is 2013 hun. Black ppl live everywhere. Being honest, black ppl may stand out yes but who the heck goes to someone door in this day and age assuming the black person answering the door is the maid. That's some real 60's mess.

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
:rofl: exactly. He have nuttin about him anyway, can't do anything for them types. He randomly ask me what my husband does. Funny, he ent ask me what I do. I must need a new suit.
Yuh mean de hanmidong sewt weh yuh get fram yuh bawse wen yuh wuz baybeesittin de wyte peepul pikney, dat haluw yuh fi by owse wich paht yuh deh? Fiyabun da sewt deh migurl! :kicks

LB

This is 2013 hun. Black ppl live everywhere. Being honest, black ppl may stand out yes but who the heck goes to someone door in this day and age assuming the black person answering the door is the maid. That's some real 60's mess.
go read my story :kicks

some ish dies hard...

ETA - I dont think its really about racism but lowered expectations of one another.

Georgeflash

Who feels it knows it!
So why do you think he was being racist?

I see nothing in your story that shows racism.
Was he to assume you were the home owner?
Isn't it standard practice when doing a job to ascertain if the person you entered into contract with was there?
Do you have home owner tattooed on your forehead.

I installed windows and doors in Jamaica and when my guys show up at a job I require them to get the work order signed by the home owner or call me.

The problem is not with this dude. It's with you.
Neva see come see.

BacchanalDiva

Here is the one story that sticks out for me.

There was a crew of girls I used to hang out when I was younger from when we were likkle bit. One of them decided to throw a party at her dad's house. She moved back in to go to post-secondary. Now she was the only white girl in out crew.

And where her dad lived was in one of the new high-end estate developments just going up on the edge of the city.

She invited a few new friends she had met. I cant remember how she met them in our city but the main point is that they were African-American. I know one of the guys she was kinda checking for so this was her way of having him around to get to know him.

So me and my other friend were helping her set things up...running to the store to grab things, sorting out the food in the kitchen bring extra chairs, etc etc.

Now these black Americans sh invited had arrived early because they werent sure about directions and if they could find the area because it was still kinda bush living back then. So they were there when me and the next friend arrived with some coolers and food and such. The other friend was in the kitchen organizing the food and thing.

We all are in the kitchen talking sh*t and teasing the white friend about something or the other. The black American she liked felt like were we outta line and said something like "how do let your help talk to you like that?"

We all whip around with WTF? looks on our faces. She of course says "these girls are my BFF's how dare you assume they are the fukking hired help? We don't do hired help around here?"

Then if he wasnt so dark his ass would have turned all different shades of pink at that moment.
He said back where he was from, the only time you see black ppl in neighborhoods like this are if they are the help. (I think he was southern I cant remember) So he was confused that a white girl had so many black friends for starters and that we all ran in the same circles. Nevermind the irony that he was a black guy checking a white girl in a predominantly white area.

But anyway, when tempers cooled off it lead to a good discussion about the expectations black people have of others within their own group. And how we internalize many of the same stereotypes of ourselves that we get so upset about if a non-white person believed in.
Can't ignore the first bolded cause it speaks to the 2nd. I realized long time that many black ppl that find themselves in any sort of white circle seem to feel that they are unique or special or something. So that's actually why their own circumstance does nothing to debunk the stereotypes for them. Its almost like " I believe all the stereotypes about black ppl..I'm the only one not like that". Crazy. I've seen this in work situations too and noticed how if only 2 or 3 blacks in the room, they strain not recognize each other past a curt nod or something.

J

Juan Dan

of course blk people live everywhere yet where does HE LIVE?
what kind of mentality does he carry

now this is where it gets realllllllllllllllllllllll tricky

if the wite man had said it you would have been WAYYYYYYYY more angry

what he displayed was a stereotype
and when wite people do it its viewed differently

in any case this goes deeper than your color...its your sex also...he asked what your husband did...he just not used to women like yourself....probably where he lives 90% of the women single...blah blah blah these slut bish hoes need to conduct themselves in respectable fashions so that when these playapimps run into women like yourself, they have a different attitude...