Origins Of "soca"?

Seawall

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1gCemjR5jNs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i notice a lot of these older afro-american song have that early kind of soca groove, anybody else hear it? if you mix this with a lil "afro" riddim you basically got soca
Actually, the song above displays the influence of Afro Latin music on African American music.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
this is more so for the leeward islands, SVG, Grenada blatantly jumped onto the Soca train. there is so much similarity in Eastern Caribbean music that people call Bouyon, Soca cuz they hear similarities.
Bouyon to my ear is basically a fusion of soca, zouk and jing ping with the conch shell added.

The truth is music is an organic thing and influences have been going both ways for many years between T&T's soca and music from the other islands.

Same has been happening between Dancehall and Soca for donkey years (both copying elements from each other) but the Jamaicans have been smart enough to keep the dancehall label for their evolving dancehall music and so take full credit for the influences used even though they have regularly been borrowing elements from soca and other musical forms.

Bouyon to my ear is basically a fusion of soca, zouk and jing ping with the conch shell added.

The truth is music is an organic thing and influences have been going both ways for many years between T&T's soca and music from the other islands.

Same has been happening between Dancehall and Soca for donkey years (both copying elements from each other) but the Jamaicans have been smart enough to keep the dancehall label for their evolving dancehall music and so take full credit for the influences used even though they have regularly been borrowing elements from soca and other musical forms.
I hate to hear some people say Jamaicans make Reggae and Dancehall and the other islands make Soca..like punks all the islands make Reggae too, Jamaica just trying to stifle our music..we have tons of reggae artist that never get a chance to make it cuz they not Jamaican.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
I hate to hear some people say Jamaicans make Reggae and Dancehall and the other islands make Soca..like punks all the islands make Reggae too, Jamaica just trying to stifle our music..we have tons of reggae artist that never get a chance to make it cuz they not Jamaican.
We need to stop relying on Jamaica to break our local reggae artists and to start giving them the much needed support at home and break them ourselves.

We need more stations like Wack Radio (http://www.wackradio901fm.com/istream/index.php?station=1) that play 100% local artists in whichever genre they wish to display their talent in.

We can't blame the Jamaicans for being patriotic as that patriotism is what has brought them most of their local and international music success! :drinks:

Last edited:
Lord here we go again... I am not getting involved in this one though! I will watch and read... have allyuh say but when Shorty hater... Trini hater come aboard all hell will break loose and we will end up with another 100 pages to start the next thread about this very same topic... good luck!

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Lord here we go again... I am not getting involved in this one though! I will watch and read... have allyuh say but when Shorty hater... Trini hater come aboard all hell will break loose and we will end up with another 100 pages to start the next thread about this very same topic... good luck!
No one in this thread is taking him on anymore, well at least I am not, maybe you should do the same. :drinks:

Last edited:

cease10

Soca for the first 3-4 years was all bout experimenting...also all the islands took their music benna, tuk and all these things and merged it into Soca.

they did an injustice to themselves by calling their music Soca, what VI, St.Kitts do is not really Soca in its truest form but they call it Soca.

They argue, but they cheated themselves by not branding and not giving focus to their music as something distinct from Soca.

Thats why they feel cheated when Trinidad takes the credit for Soca
:good: Yep, I already came to the conclusion to let Trinidad have the name soca and the rest islands just find their own brand names.

The only issue is that Trinidad did pick up some elements from the Leeward Islands over the years, and like u said they get no credit.

I wished that the V.I. branded their music like how Dominica branded Bouyon.

:good: Yep, I already came to the conclusion to let Trinidad have the name soca and the rest islands just find their own brand names.

The only issue is that Trinidad did pick up some elements from the Leeward Islands over the years, and like u said they get no credit.

I wished that the V.I. branded their music like how Dominica branded Bouyon.
the younger set of musicians in the leewards are actually losing their sound right before our eyes.

example this is native VI music, a bit different from Soca, yet they call all this Soca

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_Jq8jCl7TIE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this is closer to Soca

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8hHHDN1WvoE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
:good: Yep, I already came to the conclusion to let Trinidad have the name soca and the rest islands just find their own brand names. The only issue is that Trinidad did pick up some elements from the Leeward Islands over the years, and like u said they get no credit. I wished that the V.I. branded their music like how Dominica branded Bouyon.
The only problem is that the influence of T&T's Calypso and Soca on the other islands local music has been much bigger than the influence the other way around but that is not really T&T's fault.

So really at this late point it is near impossible for the other islands to divorce themselves from the T&T calypso and soca influence on their music without trying to rewrite history.

Maybe what we need to do is to accept that everyone has influenced each other to a certain extent over a period of time and to work together for better quality soca music, production and marketing.

Getting rid of the seasonal soca tag is the main hurdle we all need to overcome and T&T needs to lead by example as historically whatever T&T does the other "Soca" islands tend to follow. :drinks:

Last edited:
The only problem is that the influence of T&T's Calypso and Soca on the other islands local music has been much bigger than the influence the other way around but that is not really T&T's fault.

So really at this late point it is near impossible for the other islands to divorce themselves of the T&T calypso and soca influence on their music.

Maybe what we need to do is to accept that everyone has influenced each other to a certain extent over a period of time and to work together for better music quality, production and marketing.

Getting rid of the season soca tag is the main hurdle we all need to overcome and T&T need to lead by example as historically whatever T&T does the other "Soca" islands tend to follow. :drinks:
yeah but TNT's influence is more felt in BIM, Vincy, Antigua and Grenada, those four islands...again the other leeward islands style is distinct..although they may have had influence it is not as blatant.

I wonder if the other islands adopting the "Soca" tag helped or hurt Caribbean music...cuz what happened to Spouge in Barbados, Benna in Antigua etc. Dominica was the only one which held onto their native music, branded it and although with influence from Soca they did not fully forgo their native sound or call it Soca.

Tha Biz

yeah but TNT's influence is more felt in BIM, Vincy, Antigua and Grenada, st lucia, those five islands...again the other leeward islands style is distinct..although they may have had influence it is not as blatant.

I wonder if the other islands adopting the "Soca" tag helped or hurt Caribbean music...cuz what happened to Spouge in Barbados, Benna in Antigua etc. Dominica was the only one which held onto their native music, branded it and although with influence from Soca they did not fully forgo their native sound or call it Soca.
fixed...traditionally a lot of antigua's music could be considered usvi style also along with the trini calypso

Last edited:
fixed...traditionally a lot of antigua's music could be considered usvi style also along with the trini calypso
true, their early forms of Soca was more leeward sounding but now it seems like the youths joined the bandwagon of the islands down south.

Tha Biz

ok if u say so, I was a little iffy on St.Lucia
when i was in lucia they play a lot of trini stuff as you can tell by their island pop riddims they released this year. and for their carnival they bring a lot of trini artists in those islands opposed to the v.i and dominica etc

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
true, their early forms of Soca was more leeward sounding but now it seems like the youths joined the bandwagon of the islands down south.
Swagger, ah notice that you have a habit of generalising a bit too much!

Just because you hear some VI and Antiguan artists being versatile and trying different things with their soca music as we have been doing in T&T, that does not mean that either Antigua or VI are losing their native sound.

It’s almost like trying to argue that because some artists in T&T choice to do reggae and dancehall that calypso & soca are in danger of dying in T&T.

Will never happen and those who try to make these paranoid arguments are only trying to stifle the musicians to say that they must only produce a certain native sound otherwise don't make music to express your versatility as musicians.

We must stop trying to always pigeon-hole our artists and musicians.

As Stalin once said in song, once is Blackman music we digging it and playing it! :drinks:

Black Stalin - Black Man Music (1978)
<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H0LHhdGlxGk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: