ok what is the aim of u Soca detractors?

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
Seawell after all the threads that have been created regarding this topic I am absolutely certain that you have a good feel for the answers that each thread would eventually generate.

I have discussed this topic with you and VP before and I have decided not to get involved in the revolving door. What you said about "If Grant was a Trini" is true but at the same time you will not get a Trini to accept his claim to 'creating' soca. I don't.... did he contribute... yes I believe that he did as well as many others. We are aware that the music is changing and has done so from the very start. I don't wish to get embroiled in what is happening all over again. However, I do believe that it all started with Shorty but it continued to change with Maestro, Shadow, Wellington, Rose and so many others.

I believe the problem is that people like VP don't want to give Shorty any recognition whatever. That is a major problem... when he named the genre and explained what Soca it to the World and guess what.... NOBODY Complained at the time that he was full of it... NO Musician, No Singer ... NOBODY.... and remember at that time Soca (the name and the music called Soca) was all about Trinidad! The information in brackets was put there to avoid those claiming similar sounding music from the rest of the region - even thought they did not choose to give it a name.

Soca today is not the same... Period! The music called Soca is nothing like the Soca of the early time. We are all aware of that fact. All I have to say is it all started with Shorty... many others added to the music that he started and named and explained. I will give credit to all others who added to the music... I really don't care about that but please acknowledge where it all started even if you don't think Indrani sounded anything like Endless Vibrations... that is where the idea and the music evolved... what is so difficult to accept about that.

The man went so far as to give us Vibrations Groove to explain what Soca is all about - who else did something similar to that?

The man is dead and after his death we have all this bacchanal! This is a sad day for Caribbean people... VP wants to credit America for the start of Soca anybody except a Trini.... Lord will it ever end?!?!
Mannn, I always give Shorty credit for creating CHUTNEY SOCA since it is claimed that his SOKAH is a combination of calypso and Indian rhythms.

I FRANKLY DO NOT KNOW HOW THE PHUCK INDIAN RHYTHMS became part of the SOUL OF CALYPSO, but I guess you KNUCKLEHEADS from TRINIDAD thinks that Shorty's SPONTANEOUS RAMBLINGS MAKE SENSE.

That said; you KNUCKLEHEADS from Trinidad can defend and support Shorty's SOKAH (calypso and Indian rhythms) and I will DEFEND and SUPPORT SOCA (SOUL and CALYPSO), because that is the ESSENCE and CENTRAL SOUND I HEAR and FEEL in the music from the 70's onward.

YUHHHHH SEEEEEE MEEEEEEE

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Socapro and MoM de trini equivalent of VP and winn dixie?

How deep is dis feud btwn guyana and trini?

respect Seawall... I on de outside juss like you so what you say is easy for everyone else to accept and take full consideration...I just read we had a genre called Jam-calypso or some other utter rubbish and it take de indian from Shorty to make other people play soca wen dey music never include a fart of indian...politics is a hell of a control mechanism...

Christopher Columbus discover de world was round... we cannot change history.
I see you called my name in above post and mention that you just read we had a genre called Jamoo-calypso and slighted it as utter rubbish!

Well here is a short Jamoo lesson for you:

Firstly it’s not Jamoo-Calypso, its Jamoo-Soca.

Jamoo (aka Jehovah’s Music) is basically Gospel-Soca done in a particular style by members of the Love Circle who are the children of Ras Shorty-I and their various music circles!! Jamoo has been around since the mid-90’s in T&T when the “Jump & Wave” and Ragga-Soca crazes took hold!

Ras Shorty-I had 13 children (who are now all grown up and play music) with his wife so you can see how the Love Circle and their addition music circles have become quite large and musically influential in T&T and wherever they have migrated to around the world.

Members of the Love Circle do a lot of touring on the Gospel circuits around the world and their music is much more widely appreciated internationally than many of the so-called brand name soca artists we hear of today!
The most famous member of the Love Circle at the moment is Isaac Blackman.

Here are some videos of Jamoo-Soca tunes from Isaac Blackman including a live performance in Kenya:

<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CkPz3lCCP0I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Vka48lTF7sY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4JXtuZoOvMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vmrqyhUA8QY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hxPn32KdOf8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EeWEYcCLsOo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O8KWtOuvZDM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bVQ0fUswAXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GPeCKzSJRjE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-4tXfWMLsrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Lais0RR_cUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bM73pcfk2fw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

P.S.
I think I may have to start a Jamoo-Soca thread on here as some folks on here may need more enlightening!

Last edited:
Mannn, I always give Shorty credit for creating CHUTNEY SOCA since it is claimed that his SOKAH is a combination of calypso and Indian rhythms.

I FRANKLY DO NOT KNOW HOW THE PHUCK INDIAN RHYTHMS became part of the SOUL OF CALYPSO, but I guess you KNUCKLEHEADS from TRINIDAD thinks that Shorty's SPONTANEOUS RAMBLINGS MAKE SENSE.

That said; you KNUCKLEHEADS from Trinidad can defend and support Shorty's SOKAH (calypso and Indian rhythms) and I will DEFEND and SUPPORT SOCA (SOUL and CALYPSO), because that is the ESSENCE and CENTRAL SOUND I HEAR and FEEL in the music from the 70's onward.

YUHHHHH SEEEEEE MEEEEEEE
VP when did I ever insult you here? When did I ever refer to you in an insulting manner? OK, you damn well know, and it has been explained over and over again, that it all started with Indrani and the formula evolved with Endless Vibrations. It was the basis for the change not the final product! There is no indian music in Soca today! I will not refer to you in any derogatory manner but this is so simple to understand.

Ushawishi

I hear ya don...not trying to fight ya down. just my observation on this site.

It seems as though when people ready to complain bout soca and spew negativity about the genre. Trinidad always gets all the blame.. People from other islands always quick to blame and throw things out there like "big disappontment" towrds Trinidad, when they ready to fight down the music.
All the while u on here claiming how much your islands do for soca, and who born where and who mudder come from where, and how much influence they have over soca. So how come now Trinidad alone is a big disappointment.

It seems like we only good to blame, but let soca get recognition or any type of achievements....Trinidad have nothing to do with dat. Now Everybody now want to claim it!!!

is no scnene...
Doh like being a leader? lol I feel ya post tho...

But to me dais a majority fing I been in alot of niches same story all over everybody does gang up on trini wen dey doing de same fing...

My observation on dis site is if you not with Trinidad and Shorty den dere is a high chance VP on your side and dat can break your points cause people does tote real hard feelings and use you to prance about with VP... once he reach Trinis get in stupid mode and forget reason.

If Trinidad can accept Eddy Grant's and Wellington's contributions did not affect de movement on de island den dey should accept it affected other islands who make music we happen to call all kinda name before Soca...

To many many islands Soca means de soul of calypso and not CAH/KAH. Win win somehow all of dem came together and sound different doing de same fing...

Expecting other people to accept dat de evolution of dere music came about through de introduction of non existant indian elements is kinda reaching... just like how I tel dem you cyah expect to say dat indian doh have influence in trinidad.

hard to find a trini dat can start from dis angle on imix tho... easier for people from other places even non Caribbean people to get.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Doh like being a leader? lol I feel ya post tho...

But to me dais a majority fing I been in alot of niches same story all over everybody does gang up on trini wen dey doing de same fing...

My observation on dis site is if you not with Trinidad and Shorty den dere is a high chance VP on your side and dat can break your points cause people does tote real hard feelings and use you to prance about with VP... once he reach Trinis get in stupid mode and forget reason.

If Trinidad can accept Eddy Grant's and Wellington's contributions did not affect de movement on de island den dey should accept it affected other islands who make music we happen to call all kinda name before Soca...

To many many islands Soca means de soul of calypso and not CAH/KAH. Win win somehow all of dem came together and sound different doing de same fing...

Expecting other people to accept dat de evolution of dere music came about through de introduction of non existant indian elements is kinda reaching... just like how I tel dem you cyah expect to say dat indian doh have influence in trinidad.

hard to find a trini dat can start from dis angle on imix tho... easier for people from other places even non Caribbean people to get.
The problem here is that Soca as a genre and the whole coining of the word Soca happened in Trinidad and Tobago and when the music spread to the other islands they just put their interpretation onto it while having little or no idea of the root elements that lead to the birth of the Soca genre back in its home land.

So whenever Trinis give some of these very folks who never knew the facts a history lesson behind the soca genre they at first find it very hard to believe because they were not following the change in the music closely enough from the very beginning like we were in T&T.

I equate this syndrome to hearing a remake of an original tune all your life before hearing the original and then when you eventually hear the original you just can’t accept that it was the very first version of the tune you love and that it was sung by a different singer entirely.

It doesn’t matter how people from the outside chose to interpret Soca, the history of the music lies in Trinidad & Tobago and the music was first defined by Trinis so you'll just have to accept that and move on.

We could say the same thing for Jamaican reggae music as well, many folks don’t know the full history and are then shocked when they find out the facts. There are also still internal disputes in Jamaica as to whom did what first but you can always find out the truth if you forget all the old talk and listen to the music while making note of release dates, producers, arrangers, etc.

Last edited:

winn dixie

at least we can claim something because of our vibrant musical history unlike some.
right now i can call about five or six bajans signed to a major record label but iam gine do dat because dat is unfair.

wunna so vibrant til pelham goddard complained years ago dat too many trinis getting their music written and produce in bim.

wunna should be ashame to let de bajans dominate sumtin dat wunna called wunna ting - in short space of time.

wunna vibrant musical history rest on de shoulders of people who not even from trinidad. on dat one iam gine call nuh names.

dedetriniking

VP when did I ever insult you here? When did I ever refer to you in an insulting manner? OK, you damn well know, and it has been explained over and over again, that it all started with Indrani and the formula evolved with Endless Vibrations. It was the basis for the change not the final product! There is no indian music in Soca today! I will not refer to you in any derogatory manner but this is so simple to understand.
Calling the man a jackarse is not insulting him if that is what he is....and i doh think he's insulted because he stay proud. Yuh doesn't here how he does big up heself. The man is a loud and proud jackarse!

winn dixie

listen, trini knuckle-draggers. wunna tank wunna happy stars dat nicholas, krosfyah came along wen dey did. this genre was heading fuh de grave yard den krosfyah's album pump me up, produced by nicholas, set de soca world ablaze back in 95.

dah album open doors fuh producers and song writers from other islands and brought lot uh younger artists tuh genre. it does not matter how nuhbody cut it, so much of wat dey doing in soca today can be trace right back tuh dah album.

nuhbody neva sey wunna aint contribute to de development of soca. but wunna trying to claim sumtin wunna aint got nuh business claiming because de facts dont back up wunna claims.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
listen, trini knuckle-draggers. wunna tank wunna happy stars dat nicholas, krosfyah came along wen dey did. this genre was heading fuh de grave yard den krosfyah's album pump me up, produced by nicholas, set de soca world ablaze back in 95.

dah album open doors fuh producers and song writers from other islands and brought lot uh younger artists tuh genre. it does not matter how nuhbody cut it, so much of wat dey doing in soca today can be trace right back tuh dah album.

nuhbody neva sey wunna aint contribute to de development of soca. but wunna trying to claim sumtin wunna aint got nuh business claiming because de facts dont back up wunna claims.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

More high comedy from the sidekick!

But behind all the comedy you and everyone else here know in your hearts that you are the ones trying to lay a claim to what T&T started and to rewrite history despite all the facts rather than the other way around!

T&T already started, branded and established Soca music long before most of you posting on here were even a thought in your parents mind much less finding out what Soca music was really all about.

So you guys decided to embrace T&T's culture and have fallen in love with our Soca music and now also see it as yours, no problem there as Trinis always love to share our culture and music around!

However please stop trying to bite the hand that feed you as God don’t like jealousy and badmind!

Just say thank you and enjoy, why all the bitterness?!

But anyway I digress so please keep the insular laughs coming! :rofl:

Last edited:

cease10

Isn't there an old song with a similar title to this this thread? And then the chorus goes "soca in my body, soca in soul..." and then he say something to the effect that he's "been trying to keep soca alive..." or something to that effect.

Anybody know the song that I'm talking about? :dntknw:

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Isn't there an old song with a similar title to this this thread? And then the chorus goes "soca in my body, soca in soul..." and then he say something to the effect that he's "been trying to keep soca alive..." or something to that effect.

I think that's the 1978 soca classic from Ed Watson called Controversy!

<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r6DtiWSGz50" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Colors

STEADY WUK

T&T already started, branded and established Soca music long before most of you posting on here were even a thought in your parents mind much less finding out what Soca music was really all about.

So you guys decided to embrace T&T's culture and have fallen in love with our Soca music and now also see it as yours, no problem there as Trinis always love to share our culture and music around!

Soca is Soul of Calypso Calypso/Soca has been played in many islands before SHORTY coined the word.....the problem is that lies before us today is everyone called their music CALYPSO...til the Christopher Columbus of the West Indies aka Shorty coined and named it SOKAH....now if you ask for proof (videos) of what I am saying I can only find music from 1978 and current.....but I can say BUNJI GARLIN has some soca from MILO and THE KINGS on his 2012 music...which was produce back in the late 60's:brunette:

Now don't get me wrong Shorty gets all the credit for the SOKAH he coined but as for SOCA it's more than one island or person that should get credit for it

cease10

ok, I found the song that I was thinking about. I had the lyrics wrong :kicks. He's actually saying "soca controllers" not "soca detractors" and it's "tension in my body, tension in my soul...."

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mURxpHlnXWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

winn dixie

More high comedy from the sidekick!

But behind all the comedy you and everyone else here know in your hearts that you are the ones trying to lay a claim to what T&T started and to rewrite history despite all the facts rather than the other way around!

However please stop trying to bite the hand that feed you as God don’t like jealousy and badmind!

Just say thank you and enjoy, why all the bitterness?!

But anyway I digress so please keep the insular laughs coming! :rofl:
okay, de emotional stuff about how people hate wunna and tek wunna culture and wunna music. i heard dat song and dance before.

now refute wat i said above. and before you do, go talk to pelham goddard.

you dj u should kno de impact dat album and dat band have had on de soca industry.

Soca is Soul of Calypso Calypso/Soca has been played in many islands before SHORTY coined the word.....the problem is that lies before us today is everyone called their music CALYPSO...til the Christopher Columbus of the West Indies aka Shorty coined and named it SOKAH....now if you ask for proof (videos) of what I am saying I can only find music from 1978 and current.....but I can say BUNJI GARLIN has some soca from MILO and THE KINGS on his 2012 music...which was produce back in the late 60's:brunette:

Now don't get me wrong Shorty gets all the credit for the SOKAH he coined but as for SOCA it's more than one island or person that should get credit for it
Did you think this through before posting it? Read what you posted and think about it! You can't find any music (before 1978) to support your case ... think about why that is so... lord have mercy.

Now if you did not know Precision Productions sampled Milo and the Kings music for a track done by Bunji Garlin... they put out a statement regarding that sample... what are you trying to say? The sample came from a Soca beat? Think Colors think... Don't try and muddle the discussion with misrepresentations.

Soca is the Soul of Calypso yes.... but it is not Soul Calypso and certainly was not a combination of Soul and Calypso music to start... There were many additions to the Soca beat later on and Soul was a component but with so many facts coming out is these threads if appears you haven't learnt a thing or simply want to discredit Trinidad for what came out of the bosom of our Culture....

I am amazed with the attitude of the people in here trying to discredit anything from Trinidad. I am also surprised that you guys haven't claimed the steel pan as yours.... oh crap, I forgot that VP already claimed that in ST. Vincent they were playing pan (milk pans I think he said... not sure) before Trinidad once again laid claim to something created up the Caribbean chain... you guys just can't deal with the truth... Sleep well... I Will!

Last edited:

Colors

STEADY WUK
Did you think this through before posting it? Read what you posted and think about it! You can't find any music (before 1978) to support your case ... think about why that is so... lord have mercy.

Now if you did not know Precision Productions sampled Milo and the Kings music for a track done by Bunji Garlin... they put out a statement regarding that sample... what are you trying to say? The sample came from a Soca beat? Think Colors think... Don't try and muddle the discussion with misrepresentations.

Soca is the Soul of Calypso yes.... but it is not Soul Calypso and certainly was not a combination of Soul and Calypso music to start... There were many additions to the Soca beat later on and Soul was a component but with so many facts coming out is these threads if appears you haven't learnt a thing or simply want to discredit Trinidad for what came out of the bosom of our Culture....

I am amazed with the attitude of the people in here trying to discredit anything from Trinidad. I am also surprised that you guys haven't claimed the steel pan as yours.... oh crap, I forgot that VP already claimed that in ST. Vincent they were playing pan (milk pans I think he said... not sure) before Trinidad once again laid claim to something created up the Caribbean chain... you guys just can't deal with the truth... Sleep well... I Will!
No you think.....I stated that I cannot find any music from my island in videos before 1978.....so before you try to comment on my post read....I am amazed of the attidude your ras thinking every blasted island or place was knocking phucking sticks together before Shorty come out with the word SOKAH....you feel people bias against T&T please......that is futher from the truth in we islands....and I know the feeling is mutal.........TRUTH what is the truth.....that SHORTY is the Christopher Columbus of the West Indies

FYI we have our own music called FUNGI/QUELBE so we have we own culture that we dont need to thief off of no one....cause til today ahyou music(soca beat) dont sound nothing like we own....TALK DONE

Last edited:

cease10

wow...this is the first time that I'm hearing about this Garlin track. I like it. Respect to Garlin and Precision Productions.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iPKhxxMCB74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No you think.....I stated that I cannot find any music from my island in videos before 1978.....so before you try to comment on my post read....I am amazed of the attidude your ras thinking every blasted island or place was knocking phucking sticks together before Shorty come out with the word SOKAH....you feel people bias against T&T please......that is futher from the truth in we islands....and I know the feeling is mutal.........TRUTH what is the truth.....that SHORTY is the Christopher Columbus of the West Indies

FYI we have our own music called FUNGI/QUELBE so we have we own culture that we dont need to thief off of no one....cause til today ahyou music(soca beat) dont sound nothing like we own....TALK DONE
Ok then bring the proof that Soca existed before Lord Shorty (Mr. Garfield Blackman aka Ras Shorty I) declared he created the beat!

Last edited: