Nigerians...

msnaturalwoman

sharkbait said:
isn't the most common language there english?? :confused
Im not nigerian but my co worker says yes, that it how they communicate because depending on what part you are from depends on what you speak.

S

sharkie

msnaturalwoman said:
Im not nigerian but my co worker says yes, that it how they communicate because depending on what part you are from depends on what you speak.
ok, cuz mih math professor is nigerian and she has a very hard time communicating with us and using certain english words....and i don't mean with the accent.

i just thought it was weird that she didn't know what certain words were or spelled. tanks!

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
sharkbait said:
ok, cuz mih math professor is nigerian and she has a very hard time communicating with us and using certain english words....and i don't mean with the accent.

i just thought it was weird that she didn't know what certain words were or spelled. tanks!
ENGLISH is the FOREIGN LANGUAGE spoken in NIGERIA....that is not their NATURAL TONGUE

Nigeria has about FOUR HUNDRED DISTINCT INDIGENOUS languages.

I know of many NIGERIANS who have quite a DIFFICULTY grasping the ENGLISH language. Again, it is not their NATURAL tongue.

Last edited:
S

sharkie

VINCYPOWA said:
ENGLISH is the FOREIGN LANGUAGE spoken in NIGERIA....that is not their NATURAL TONGUE

Nigeria has about FOUR HUNDRED DISTINCT INDIGENOUS lnaguages.

I know of many NIGERIANS who have quite a DIFFICULTY grasping the ENGLISH language. Again, it is not their NATURAL tongue.
ok, i thought it was more of a primary language, only cuz my friend's roomate jus come from nigeria and only speaks english> :dntknw:

T

Toppa_Toppa

sharkbait said:
maybe you confusin it wit algeria
No, Cameroon. Buh yeah de official language of Nigeria is English cos they were a formmer British colony.

S

sharkie

Toppa_Toppa said:
No, Cameroon. Buh yeah de official language of Nigeria is English cos they were a formmer British colony.
okie dokes.

good ting i understanding what she sayin...maybe she nervous as well

today she say: "maybe we could compare the amount of women on campus as compared to the females" :kicks

carnivaldarling

Saucy Wow #2
sharkbait said:
isn't the most common language there english?? :confused
English is the official language. However, there are many different tribes in Nigeria and within the tribes ther are hundreds of languages spoken. What you will find is that the older folks stick to their tribe's language rather than english (probably the reason why your prof has problems with english). The younger generation may be able to speak and/or understand their tribe's language based on if it was used in their homes growing up or not.