Natural Ladies

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
and that's what i am saying... just love your hair the way it is.. it seems to be this over classification is reinforcing the good hair/bad hair thing.. its like people almost try to change their texture as if something is wrong with their natural hair even when they going natural!

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
so wait...according to some of your postings on her LR, if I moisturize my hair I'm manipulating it into something it's not? i.e. today hair was looking dull (aka didn't sleep with my scarf), so I took my spritzer bottle filled with conditioner and water to refresh it which meant it coiled up again. So, that's me not embracing my texture? Just asking for clarification since there wasn't any real manipulation.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
and that's what i am saying... just love your hair the way it is.. it seems to be this over classification is reinforcing the good hair/bad hair thing.. its like people almost try to change their texture as if something is wrong with their natural hair even when they going natural!
Yes, I understand exactly what you mean. It's just that some people likely have always viewed kinkier hair as worse. Their use of the hair typing system and comments regarding what they want from products only makes it more obvious. But i wouldnt say it's the majority...hair definition also indicates moisture which is tied to health of hair. So it just depends on the person.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
Ms jaze....I'm not saying that you can't moisturize your hair or put things in it to give it shine/sheen etc...not at all...that's exactly what you are doing...moisturizing your hair...but sometimes reading those hair forums is like damn...you would rather say I have a 4c partial 4d unstretched super twisted spiral infinity pattern than say I have kinky hair...maybe the word kinky may have some issues attached to it...I dunno...the "curlie" label may just irk me cos of the way it seems like they uphold curly hair as something to achieve...not that its simply a type of hair pattern but like its the end goal....some of these folks take it to a whole other level at times

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
Ms jaze....I'm not saying that you can't moisturize your hair or put things in it to give it shine/sheen etc...not at all...that's exactly what you are doing...moisturizing your hair...but sometimes reading those hair forums is like damn...you would rather say I have a 4c partial 4d unstretched super twisted spiral infinity pattern than say I have kinky hair...maybe the word kinky may have some issues attached to it...I dunno...the "curlie" label may just irk me cos of the way it seems like they uphold curly hair as something to achieve...not that its simply a type of hair pattern but like its the end goal....some of these folks take it to a whole other level at times
:eek:k:

LIONESS onda RISE

I hope ur not buying that garbage..I saw her correct the first time..u should love what u got and not manipulate it into what it's not.

And for the record..ppl with kinky hair call themselves curliest because their hair IS curly!!!!very tightly coiled curls with course hair. Listening to LR bull u can clearly see she feel the term reserved for "soft and silky" only. The girl is sickening

I hope ur not buying that garbage..I saw her correct the first time..u should love what u got and not manipulate it into what it's not.

And for the record..ppl with kinky hair call themselves curliest because their hair IS curly!!!!very tightly coiled curls with course hair. Listening to LR bull u can clearly see she feel the term reserved for "soft and silky" only. The girl is sickening
Yes and that's where the annoyance came in. If you look at kinky hair closely, hell if you take one strand and look at it, it will be curly. So i don't know who came up with the idea that once your hair is tightly curled, the term 'curly' is not for you. it's for those who have looser and wider curls. gtfoh.

LIONESS onda RISE

Yes and that's where the annoyance came in. If you look at kinky hair closely, hell if you take one strand and look at it, it will be curly. So i don't know who came up with the idea that once your hair is tightly curled, the term 'curly' is not for you. it's for those who have looser and wider curls. gtfoh.
Girl..I know what time it is with respect to her!!! She can fool the masses(of which I don't think is really fooled..simply tolerant)..but ima call that 1938 stuck on ignorant deep south mentality when I c it!

mz_JazE

Southern Belle

oh see, I didn't get a chance to see it...girl I love my hair! lol I just needed some clarification because it was coming off like if you don't look like Example A don't call yourself this because you look like example B and example B you should be.

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
yup, i agree that when you pull out a strand of "kinky" hair, you can def see that it's curled.

when i think of kinky being called curly it makes me think of when i read about whites seeing blacks for the first time and saying that they're hair was very curly. i guess over time somehow in society what was then perceived to be very "curly," largely changed to "kinky" and "nappy." some may find kinky to be derogatory. i think it's safe to say that nappy has a negative connotation. curly though? not so much. call your hair what you want.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
life is a circle yes.. people cutting their locs left and right - back to caesars and mini afros.... people do whatever they want..... so if using the term "Curlies" works for them then so be it.. i've never been one to get caught up in the latest hair trend so maybe that's why i dont get all this hair typing, etc etc.. the folks i know who have always been natural (regardless of texture), have just done it.. no fanfare, no labels.. its as natural to them as the color of their skin... but everybody is not the same so i guess that is why i saw it the way i did... to each his own...

Audree

Bush Baby
I understand where LR is coming from.
Fact of the matter is with a lot of 'natural woman'
Are that they try to achieve something that's just not with thier natural hair.
Trust, woman would prefer the soft curly managable natural hair over the real deal of it. Kinky/nappy/tighly coiled hair.
I have tried multiple products thinking it would do what it describes.
Wasted enough of my money. I keep it so simple now.
However, economically those systems makes sense.
Plus woman easily spend top dollor to obtain that 'look'.

Taj

Loyalty to Loyalty
i didn't even know there was more than one hair typing system interesting

I can understand if something irks you but when you bring to the table of discussion something noone in the discussion has a mentality or insecurity of its kind of like why even mention that and distract from a true helpful discussion. If such things irk you so much take it up with the ppl that said it where you saw it.

So women with relaxer can weave up gel up drop curl crimp rod etc etc etc their hair and its considered 'styling options' yet if someone natural wants to try different things they're in denial about their texture and running down a texture they secretly want?

In the relaxed vs natural conversation where it immediately goes to mental slavery/colonialism/self-hate and women have defend other women's right to simply be and wear their hair how they feel like without having to 'make a statement' what are you really promoting by saying women with natural hair should restrict themselves to certain types of styling for fear of being accused of trying to 'elevate their hair texture to something it isn't'?
The beauty of natural hair or hair in general is the little things you can do and achieve a completely different look, air dry/vs blowdry, twist wet vs dry etc etc etc
Give people some freedom and judge less especially when commenting on a texture of hair you don't have.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
you discuss it the same way everybody discusses things they observe on here...you give an opinion, if people don't like it.. oh well fck it .. two tears in a bucket.

Audree

Bush Baby
you discuss it the same way everybody discusses things they observe on here...you give an opinion, if people don't like it.. oh well fck it .. two tears in a bucket.
You could never have an opinion on here with out beinging labled, judgmental/self righteous/etc etc

I mean if everybody kept their thoughts to themselves,
Who ppl go be talking to?

I had to retread this thread and all I could do is laugh.

Taj

Loyalty to Loyalty
Taj,

based on that chart What's your hair type?
on the andre walker I'm guessing 4a or 4b some of the things they say for each a or b applies to me

according to LOIS i'm guessing O and cottony.
the lois is truly confusing i did the best I could

I see ppl testing hair porosity as well haven't tried that yet. that imo maybe more helpful than hair typing cos it deals with the science of your strand and moisture wrt my hair is a real issue for me

i dont use hair typing but i guess it can be helpful in the online world

Audree

Bush Baby
Ok so I understand people can relate to the chart and compare textures and such.

My thing is what's the point?

We already know that we are a variety/ethnicity of people with different textures. Duhh

For instance, the same way relaxer is used to alter the natural hair pattern to a straight silky finish
Some if these natural hair products are trying to doing the same thing but only making empty promises.

And based off that chart woman are guided to the 'best' method of maintenance. I realize that the soft bouncy naturally hair is more appreciated than the real deal of it, thick and course.

I love all the different styles, there are. And all the great conditioning methods. Because of course our hair needs moisture.
And when I want to go straight I just get a quick blow out. That will only last about a week. After that my natural hair settles in. And I let that rock out. I keep it simple. I wash/deep condition. Oil my scalp every other day.
My hair is about 3 different textures. From the back to the front varies. One thing I did notice after shaving my head completely bald 3x. Each time it grows back even hard and thicker.
Somebody that's only a year out of relaxer can not really rely in that chart either.

Plus I been paying attention to the shelves and advertisements into the whole industry an it's really beaming. Nuff are milking it for what it is.

Audree

Bush Baby
And I suffer with extreme shrinkage.

I have yet to find a product that can handle dat.

And I try to refrain from most of those chemically

Enhancing products.