Natural Ladies

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
there are lots of "4s" bloggers out there with beautiful hair, and its funny to see someone envitably ask them if they are mixed because they have "nice, long" hair....and then laugh to see the blogger try to respond politely to the asinine questions.

All you can do is roll your eyes at it all.
that's the shit I don't like!!! I saw the glamtwins (that's all I can remember from their vlog), and the comments were like "omg what are you mixed with to have such long hair!!!" I literally wanted to shake and smack them (this was after like the 5th or 6th comment mind you lol). That's why I'm not a fan of the whole Andre Walker system because it causes a lot of hair envy, when with other systems i.e. LOIS it helps you with actually figuring out what works for your hair.
LR- In regards to going to a hair dresser, it depends you might actually go to a stylist that's licensed in the Deva Curl techniques. In that case, they'll already know what your hair needs after a consultation. If you're going to your neighborhood stylist just tell them what you need. No need in going into to all of the hair typing business. People who automatically see my hair think I need "HEAT!!!!!," but once they put their hands in my hair they're like oh shoot you just need a deep conditioner and a pass or two of the flat iron.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
i am not talking about me.. just a fyi.. i'm talking bout women seeing other women with long hair and assume that it's not theirs

yea.. that hair type shit irkssssss me to no end. i had a woman trying to determine what kind of hair i had.. i had to say miss, i have curly hair, the end. stop trying to pin me down to some kinda "system"... i dont subscribe to that and i've had natural hair way longer than you have..... i dont have time for that mess... and the calling each other "curlies".. that rubs me the wrong way too... its like with the natural hair movement, they find another way to stratify... the stereotypin in the black sitcoms of the mixed girl with the curly hair.. and its like calling each other curlies is a way to get away from the fact that let's face it.. some people have kinky hair!! deal with it and love it the same way.. your hair type should be loved the WAY it is... not packed with product to make it appear to be something it is not... "defined" curls... come on .. i see people i know, doing all kinds of crazy shit with their hair because they think that wearing their hair uncombed and open is making a statement.. yet your hair is dry, full of split-ends, open to the elements.. come on .. that's the fastest way to breakage and hair loss.. treat your hair like your skin.. nourish it, protect it and take very good care of it... if you have to put a coil pudding and a creamy something in your hair to have "curls" your hair is not curly.. you have what i call "curls with an assist".. some people have straight hair, some people have wavy hair, some people have curly hair, some people have kinky hair....
So according to you a girl who has this hair

should not be calling herself a 'curlie'. Even though her hair is curly, just curled so tight it looks kinky?

And as far as your statement 'not packed with product to make it appear to be something it is not... "defined" curls' nobody packing product to make their hair appear something else, our hair just need more moisture to prevent breakage and keep it looking shiny. A result of that is curls appearing MORE defined.

I can't stand when girls like you all up in a natural thread that you know is really aimed for the 'KINKY' haired girls and was always holding a negative thought to it. I'm glad you came and showed your true colors tho.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
let me say this unequivocally, so that you and others like you, can get it... natural hair threads are for anybody with natural hair.. having a particular texture of hair doesn't make you any more "natural" than anybody else.. if i feel like posting in this thread then it is what it is... i expressed a sentiment about a phenomenon i have noticed over time.. if you disagree that is fine with me... i stated many times, love your hair in its natural state.. who said that natural = curly? if you have to use products and contraptions to get your hair curly, is your hair really curly? my statement is basically this- a lot of people new to "natural hair" seem to believe that natural hair upkeep means that you must strive to turn your hair into a mass of curls rather than just appreciate it the way that it is... i dont know what is so hard to understand in that..

dollbabi

Earth Angel
This is actually an interesting discussion. I do remember first seeing the typing systems and noticing that hair that is traditionally seen as wavy and also hair traditionally seen as kinky defined as being curly. The systems do get more specific as to the "type of curl" and usually end up using the regular terms. The aim being better hair care.

On other sites and on Youtube videos, some do argue over the type and some express that they wish they had "X type of hair, often less kinky. Some do want products to achieve less kink, but certainly not the majority. Plenty people just want to learn to care for their hair. So there are positives to the system and there are also negatives.

Regardless, it's nice to see more naturals. We don't have to have the same types of hair to learn great hair tips and styles from each other. That's why the typing system is not essential at all.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
and that's what i am saying.. it's usually in conjunction with this typing business.. like i've read a couple of these natural hair forums... and some people really take this 3b 3c business to another level.. the discussions seem more focused on them defining what type of hair they have than actually sharing tips on hair care products or hairstyles... for me personally.. some things just seem a little complicated to achieve the ends.. like the curl formers.. but then again i'm not one of those people who has ever been into curlers (ah doh know how people could sleep wid a head fulla curlers nah)... so that's possibly just a little more maintenance than i am prepared to put effort into.. and the thing that people who may dive headfirst into these "systems" may fail to realize is that even though two people can have the same "type" of hair- 3 b or whatever.. they also have to factor things like diet, upkeep, maintenance etc into the equation... your hair is an outgrowth.. like your nails.. same keratin.. so if eat healthy on a balanced diet, make sure your hair is moisturized your hair will be different from soembody who eat nuff shit and do different things to their hair.. is not one size fits all.. you have to know YOUR hair.

let me say this unequivocally, so that you and others like you, can get it... natural hair threads are for anybody with natural hair.. having a particular texture of hair doesn't make you any more "natural" than anybody else.. if i feel like posting in this thread then it is what it is... i expressed a sentiment about a phenomenon i have noticed over time.. if you disagree that is fine with me... i stated many times, love your hair in its natural state.. who said that natural = curly? if you have to use products and contraptions to get your hair curly, is your hair really curly? my statement is basically this- a lot of people new to "natural hair" seem to believe that natural hair upkeep means that you must strive to turn your hair into a mass of curls rather than just appreciate it the way that it is... i dont know what is so hard to understand in that..
girl you can take all that and shove it. You've already been exposed.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
girl. please have a stadium of seats.. i would only be "exposed" to morons like you who have the misconception that these natural hair threads are only for certain people.... . now run along and take your agenda to another thread.

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
i don't have an issue w/ the hair typing thing if it's helping you to learn how to better care for your hair. not all hair is the same so diff types need to be cared for differently. the typing system, as has already been stated, does cause there to be the whole inferior/superior thing at times. as far as i see it, if God made it, it's good. all hair IMO is good hair. it just depends on how you care for it...

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
did you take offense, dearie? do you call yourself a curlie? lol.. chick, find something productive to do with your time.. this conversation is not conducive to that end... go cry into your hairdresser shoulder or something.. i dunno..

dollbabi

Earth Angel
i don't have an issue w/ the hair typing thing if it's helping you to learn how to better care for your hair. not all hair is the same so diff types need to be cared for differently. the typing system, as has already been stated, does cause there to be the whole inferior/superior thing at times. as far as i see it, if God made it, it's good. all hair IMO is good hair. it just depends on how you care for it...
Right. Honestly, that being said, if someone wants to call their hair curly and its more "kinky" thats fine. Especially considering the negativity towards kinkier hair. People who bear more visible connections to west/central africa get enough shyte as it is. But at the same time, your texture is what it is. Diversity makes the world go around. Kinky hair is gorgeous...so is curly hair...and straight hair. I drool over all different textures that are healthy and look beautiful.

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
Right. Honestly, that being said, if someone wants to call their hair curly and its more "kinky" thats fine. Especially considering the negativity towards kinkier hair. People who bear more visible connections to west/central africa get enough shyte as it is. But at the same time, your texture is what it is. Diversity makes the world go around. Kinky hair is gorgeous...so is curly hair...and straight hair. I drool over all different textures that are healthy and look beautiful.
right. i see it like this-- call your hair what you want, just know that everyone may not agree with how you choose to label it. and that's fine. i know what i think is kinky, curly, wavy, etc. but others may disagree with me.

totally agree with most of what you said. Personally i never got the 'inferior/superior' thing with the hair classification. I only saw it as people trying to find a way to group different hair types so it would be easier to link products suitable for each hair type.

right, just like how people have a right to classify their race as how they see fit. It's not up to anyone else to tell them 'you are not this because i don't think you are that.

did you take offense, dearie? do you call yourself a curlie? lol.. chick, find something productive to do with your time.. this conversation is not conducive to that end... go cry into your hairdresser shoulder or something.. i dunno..
I didn't take offense. Your phoniness was just disgusting and i couldn't help but call you out on it.

lol @ you telling me to go do something productive.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
maybe MCL you misunderstood what i was saying.. why can tightly curled hair not be appreciated as it is? why must it be manipulated into something else as though having kinky hair is not acceptable?

dollbabi

Earth Angel
right, just like how people have a right to classify their race as how they see fit. It's not up to anyone else to tell them 'you are not this because i don't think you are that.
Agreed, although at the same time, people will describe hair differently. I doubt that any of us will argue anyone down for calling their hair curly when we see it as wavy. But describing hair as kinky, curly or wavy isn't a bad thing...