James Rhein Bulldozes Home Without Telling Wife, Or Removing Her Stuff

Poca

It must not be funny for his wife but this story is funny.

James Rhein Bulldozes Home Without Telling Wife, Or Removing Her Stuff

When Diane Andryshak left her home in Middletown, New York on Monday morning, she figured her husband would spend the day renovating their home.

Instead, her hubby, James Rhein, chose to bulldoze it, without bothering to tell her -- or anyone else.

Andryshak came home to see the the house -- which was in her name only -- completely demolished, according to neighbor Steve Belfiglio.

“[Rhein] bulldozed all her clothes in there. Washer, dryer, furnace, hot water heater, everything was still in there. In fact, her medication was still in there,” Belfiglio told CBS New York.

Andryshak was in shock when she saw what once was her house.

Rhein told Westchester News 12 he tore down the house because the foundation was bad. He says they were living elsewhere while renovating the home.

Amazingly, Andryshak told the station she and Rhein weren't having any marital problems before his last-minute demolition.

The sudden bulldozing didn't just take Andryshak by surprise. Local officials were also caught off-guard.

Rhein allegedly attempted to get a permit, but couldn't because government offices were closed because of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday.

Rhein went ahead with the bulldozing anyway, and did it without turning off gas, electricity or water.

Officers who responded to a call about a "hazardous condition" made emergency calls to the local utilities to cut the gas and electricity and prevent an explosion, the Times Herald-Record reports.

A city crew turned off everything, police told the paper.

Although no one was hurt by Rhein's demolition, he was charged with criminal mischief and freed on $300 bail. He is due in court on Jan. 30.

Rhein claimed he did try to call his wife before tearing down the house, but she didn't pick up the phone, according to the New York Daily News.

Andryshak is still perplexed by her husband's actions and what the future holds.

"I have family and friends, right now I'm staying with a friend," Andryshak told ABC7News.com. "I don't have any answers for you, I don't have any answers for you whatsoever."

Meanwhile, Rhein said everything is fine between he and his wife.

"We're good. I'm a good husband, what can I tell you?" he told NBC New York.

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
Sounds like an insurance scam
Hard scam to profit off of. He isn't a licensed contractor that committed an error. Despite the house being in her name, as her husband and a resident he has implied permission to make changes. Damages caused while making DIY changes/ upgrades/ renovations to the home would not be reimbursable except under specific circumstances.

That man not really too bright nah because rash decision to bulldoze aside, he could have caused all sorts of problems in his neighborhood especially having not turned off any of the utilities before doing what he did.

Missmayling

Hard scam to profit off of. He isn't a licensed contractor that committed an error. Despite the house being in her name, as her husband and a resident he has implied permission to make changes. Damages caused while making DIY changes/ upgrades/ renovations to the home would not be reimbursable except under specific circumstances.

That man not really too bright nah because rash decision to bulldoze aside, he could have caused all sorts of problems in his neighborhood especially having not turned off any of the utilities before doing what he did.
Not his house, so it doesn't matter. The wife may have been pushing him, so he did a half azz job by demolishing everything.

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
Not his house, so it doesn't matter. The wife may have been pushing him, so he did a half azz job by demolishing everything.
Very possible. Based on my circle one thing is evident; the women generally have no concept of how difficult any task is within the home that isn't within their purview. So often is a why can't this get done, how is it taking so long attitude with them. If a man isn't able to filter it out and keep a cool head he can easily end up trying shortcuts (that only exacerbate the problem in the long term) or doing something that is rash (and stupid when later examined) like bulldozing the whole house with all contents still inside.

Lucianite

dais y he should be removed from the general population

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
How is he ONLY charged with criminal mischief when that's the charge i got for throwing my husband clothes out with the trash.

Seems like he could have gotten reckless endangerment for leaving the utilities on. There has to be more serious charges that can apply

Lucianite

How is he ONLY charged with criminal mischief when that's the charge i got for throwing my husband clothes out with the trash.

Seems like he could have gotten reckless endangerment for leaving the utilities on. There has to be more serious charges that can apply
#crimingwhilewhite

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
Being stupid isn't a criminal act. I think if other properties had sustained damages as a result of his actions the charges would have been different and probably included some type of reckless endangerment charge.

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
Being stupid isn't a criminal act. I think if other properties had sustained damages as a result of his actions the charges would have been different and probably included some type of reckless endangerment charge.
If a drunk driver is arrested for speeding and running red lights can he be charged with reckless endangerment even if he didn't hit anyone?