Introduce us to a new dish!

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
Please post a photograph (it doesn't have you be taken by you) of a single food item or dish that is NOT West Indian or typical "American" fare. Something that many IMIXers may never have tried even if it is commonplace where you are.

Just add a one-liner. Have fun!

Shakshouka is a dish of eggs poached in a sauce of tomatoes, chili peppers, onions, often spiced with cumin.
שקשוקה‎

shakshuka.jpg

Collie4Nyah

Ganjalero
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZeBz5x1pLaE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
Description please.... (yum!)

the reddish stuff is beets sauteed... there are split peas in sauce, carrots potatoes and somethign else, i beleive cabbage.. the stuff in teh middle is the chicken and the stuff next to the carrot in the foreground is lamb.. all of which are on a bed of injera.. but there are injera roles on teh small plate to the upper left..

triniameri

Hey Ms. Carter...
Dolmeh

Lebanese co-worker taught me how to make these

Dolmeh Barge Mo (Stuffed Grape Leaves) is the most common of Persian Dolmeh. There are a variety of ways to make the mixture that is wrapped with the grape leaves. The way I have wrapped the grape leaves is actually the Turkish style of wrapping. The one that ends up in a square form is the Iranian style; however, many people prefer to wrap the grape leaves in the Turkish style.
Ingredients (20-30 Grape Leaves):
30-40 grape leaves — you will need extra leaves to line the bottom of the pot
1 cup rice
1 medium onion
1/2 cup yellow split peas (lapeh)
1/3 cup lemon juice or vinegar
2-3 tablespoons sugar
250-500 grams ground beef
100-250 grams sabzi (herbs) — Fresh or dry (or combination); these include parsley, cilantro, green onions or tareh, shevid (dill), and small amount of Tarragon; can also include mint and savory leaves
salt, pepper
turmeric
oil
water

Directions:

Prepare the stuffing/mixture:

Chop up the onion and fry it in a pan. Add the meat once the onion is golden in color and fry the meat. Add about half a cup of water and allow the meat to cook. You will add salt, pepper, and turmeric to the meat as well. Allow the meat to cook for at least 20. Once the meat is cooked set it aside and allow it to cool.

Heat up water in a pot and boil the yellow split peas for approximately 15 minutes. Then drain and set them aside to cool.

Heat up water in a pot and bring the rice to a boil. Drain the rice and set aside to cool.

Clean any fresh herbs and chop them up slightly using a food processor (or a knife). If using any dry herbs make sure to use less than you would if using fresh herbs. Certain herbs such as parsley, cilantro, and green onions you can use more of, while you would use less tarragon and dill. I used dry tarragon and dill, while I used fresh parsley, cilantro, and green onions.

Mix all these ingredients together in a bowl, add salt and pepper for taste.

Wrap the Grape Leaves:

If you are using fresh Grape Leaves you will need to boil them in water for a bit so that they soft. If using Grape Leaves in a jar bought from the store make sure you wash them real well so they have no preservatives left on them (it will ruin the flavor if left on the leaves).

Take the leaves one at a time and lay them on a surface or cutting board. Take some of the mixture and place it on the leaf and then begin wrapping the leaf.

Add oil to the pot you plan on using to cook the Dolmeh in. Take a few leaves that aren’t wrapped and place them on the bottom of the pot. Take all the prepared Dolmeh’s and place them on the bottom of the pot leaving no spaces.

Liquid mixture to pour over the Dolmeh’s:

Take the 1/3 cup of lemon juice (or vinegar) and add the sugar to it. Add about a cup of water to the juice/sugar and stir everything together. Once the sugar has dissolved pour the contents all over the Dolmeh’s in the pot.

Cooking the Dolmeh’s:

Place a plate (or something else thats heavy) over the Dolmeh’s to make sure they dont move around. Turn the burner on to medium-low heat and place the lid on top of the pot. Allow the Stuffed Grape Leaves to cook for 30-45 minutes.

Poca

Swedish Hash, Pytt i Panna - A Scandinavian Recipe for Pytt i Panna, Swedish Hash

Pytt i Panna, Swedish Hash, is a delicious way to use up leftovers.

For best results, try to dice the potatoes, onion, and leftover meat into uniform 1/4-inch pieces. The potatoes should be drained of any water and patted dry before cooking.
Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

6 slices bacon
6 to 8 cooked potatoes, peeled and diced into uniform pieces
1 medium onion, diced into uniform pieces (about 1 cup)
2 Tbsp. butter
1 to 2 cups leftover meat (lamb, steak, ham, or pork), diced into uniform pieces
5 to 6 eggs
Preparation:

Finely dice bacon and fry over medium heat in large pan until crisp (cast iron works well for this). Remove cooked bacon from pan and drain off all but 4 Tbsp. bacon grease. Add diced potatoes to pan and stir-fry in bacon fat until browned and crisp; remove from pan. Melt butter in pan; add chopped onions and sauté just until limp. Add chopped meat and brown, about five minutes. Reduce heat to low; return bacon and potatoes to pan, mixing all ingredients together and heating until warm.

In separate pan, fry the eggs "sunny-side up." Transfer the hash to individual plates and crown with a fried egg on top of each serving.

Yield: 5 to 6 servings of Swedish hash.

triniameri

Hey Ms. Carter...
Tagine of Spicy Kefta With Lemon

1Lb Ground lamb (or beef or turkey)
1 Cup Onion, finely chopped
1 Bunch Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
2 tsps cinnamon
1 Tsp Ground Cumin
1 Tsp Ground coriander
1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper or 1 tsp Paprika
Salt and pepper to taste

2 Tbsps Olive Oil
1 Cup Onion, roughly chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, halved and crushed
1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 Whole Red chile, thinly sliced
2 Tsps Ground Turmeric
1 Bunch Fresh Cilantro, chopped
1 Bunch Fresh Mint, chopped
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 whole Lemon, cut into 4 or 6 segments, with pips removed
To make kefta, pound the ground meat with our knuckles in a bowl. Using your hands, lift up the lump of ground meat and slap it back down into the bowl. Add the onion, parsley, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, and cayenne, and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Using your hands, mix the ingredients together and knead well, pounding the mixture for a few minutes. Take pieces of the mixture and shape them into little walnut-sized balls, so that you end up with about 16 kefta. (These can be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days).

Heat the oil in a tagine or heavy-based casserole dish. Stir in the onion, garlic, ginger and chile and saute until they begin to brown. Add the turmeric and half the cilantro and mint, and pour roughly 1 1/4 cups water. Bring the water t a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Carefully place the kefta i the liquid, cover, and poach the kefta for about 15 minutes, rolling them in the liquid from time to time so they are cooked wlel on all sides. Pour over the lemon juice, season the liquid with salt and tuck the lemon segments around the kefta. Poach for a further 10 minutes.

Sprinkle with the remaining cilantro and mint. Serve Hot.

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
big up selassie but me nah nyam dem ting deh
:kicks I feel the same way. I tried to and couldn't really get into the food including the injera.

Tried dolmas 4x in my life, and I still can't find myself liking them. :dntknw:

bktrini305

IDK about the Shakshouka. That texture sounds really unappetizing by itself. Is it served with a bread of some kind?

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
IDK about the Shakshouka. That texture sounds really unappetizing by itself. Is it served with a bread of some kind?
I've seen it served with crusty bread, but I need my eggs to be cooked a little harder than what's in the picture.

Klang

Real Patriot
:kicks I feel the same way. I tried to and couldn't really get into the food including the injera.

Tried dolmas 4x in my life, and I still can't find myself liking them. :dntknw:
Why not?
Its delicious. You don't eat vegetables and meat?
i grew up eating mainly one style of food. for me to try something that foreign at this age it wont agree with my stomach.

Carib2

Jollof rice - probably not a ''new dish'' but anyway...

Its yum

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images...12996454527/Jollof-rice-and-fried-chi-007.jpg

6 small chicken drumsticks
6 (about 500 g) chicken drummettes
3 red onions, roughly chopped
2 tsp mild curry powder
2 tsp dried thyme leaves
1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
1 red capsicum, finely chopped
400 g can whole tomatoes
Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
95 g (⅔ cup) tomato paste
400 g (2 cups) basmati rice
fried sliced plantains

Place chicken and 750 ml water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Add half the onions, 1 tsp each of curry powder and thyme, stock cube and 2 tsp salt, and cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid. Pat chicken dry with paper towel.

Meanwhile, process capsicum, tomatoes and remaining onions in a food processor to a paste. Set aside.

Fill a large saucepan with 5cm oil and place over medium heat. Cook chicken, turning, for 3 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate, reserving 1cm oil in pan.

Add capsicum paste and remaining 1 tsp each of curry powder and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until golden. Add tomato paste and cook for a further 5 minutes or until oil starts to separate from paste. Add chicken and cook for a further 3 minutes or until well coated in the mixture. Using tongs, remove chicken from pan, leaving the sauce, transfer to an oven tray and cover with foil.

To make jollof rice, add rice, reserved cooking liquid and 1L water to tomato sauce. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring halfway, for 45 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

When the rice is halfway through cooking, reheat chicken in a warm oven for 20 minutes. Serve with jollof rice and fried plantains.