Here's Why Dropbox Has Been Opening Your Private Documents Read more: http://www.bus

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
Thankfully I stopped storing sensitive data on Dropbox and just use it for pictures and non-essential things. All sensitive data now is on a Canadian cloud for me so its not subject to your PATRIOT act.
-------------------

When you post certain types of private documents to Dropbox and tell Dropbox to share them with no one, Dropbox itself will still open them up and take a look.
It does this in order to make a "preview" version of the document, the company says.

The fact that Dropbox is opening documents came to light when security expert Daniel McCauley, who writes for WNC InfoSec Blog, was playing with a new service called HoneyDocs. It tags a document and then privately tells you every time someone opens it.

McCauley wanted to see if cloud storage documents were being viewed in ways he didn't know about. So he uploaded a bunch of files to his Dropbox account.

Lo and behold, Honeydocs told him that all of the documents with a ".doc" extension had been opened.

What's going on? Dropbox says that this is an automated process (not done by humans) and it opens the files to be helpful.

"Dropbox allows people to open and preview files from their browser. This blog post relates to back end processes that automatically create these document previews, making it easier for people to view docs within their Dropbox," a spokesperson told us.

This news comes just two weeks after security researchers published a report showing how Dropbox can be hacked, if hackers could compromise a user's entire PC.

For many people, the convenience of seeing a preview is worth having a Dropbox bot opening files.

But for enterprises who worry that employees are using Dropbox to share sensitive data, this sort of thing is scary. It helps explain why Dropbox is the No. 1 app that enterprises ban, according to research by Fiberlink.

Read more: Dropbox Privacy - Business Insider

LB

I used it for a while to have some work data handy regardless of where I was located and for offsite backup. But after a short minute I stopped using the service in that manner.

Poca

I never heard of Dropbox and up to now, I am not sure what the ICloud really supposed to do. I know that there made many inconvenient to the good old pen and paper but, I feel that people are relying way too much on all those electronic and Internet devices.

IslandmixUSA

Dragon Singh
I never heard of Dropbox and up to now, I am not sure what the ICloud really supposed to do. I know that there made many inconvenient to the good old pen and paper but, I feel that people are relying way too much on all those electronic and Internet devices.
iCloud is a rain system made by apple

LB

iCloud is different and specific to Apple.

If you store data like files on your computer at home or at work you are doing essentially the same thing. A cloud just allows you to have offsite access to your work. You have a network server at work? Does the same thing.

You cannot always walk around with tons of paper files everywhere you go especially if you have sensitive data if you lose. look how many times it has hit the news hear that some govt employee had their car broken into and our personal info has been comprised. Plus depending on your type of work, you need to have an offsite storage for data in case your building is burned down or your computer crashes. So I dont know how pen and paper is going to protect you from that.

Poca

Oh, I know that pens and papers cannot be used all the time but, I do feel that electronic gadgets are taking more and more space.

Don't laugh but I still unsure how to zip and unzip a file. Needless to say that I am quite computer illiterate. I really know the basic stuff and I don't really feel like knowing more. I am nostalgic, I love my pen and paper :)

iCloud is different and specific to Apple.

If you store data like files on your computer at home or at work you are doing essentially the same thing. A cloud just allows you to have offsite access to your work. You have a network server at work? Does the same thing.

You cannot always walk around with tons of paper files everywhere you go especially if you have sensitive data if you lose. look how many times it has hit the news hear that some govt employee had their car broken into and our personal info has been comprised. Plus depending on your type of work, you need to have an offsite storage for data in case your building is burned down or your computer crashes. So I dont know how pen and paper is going to protect you from that.

LB

Too late I am laughing lol

Depends on what you do for a living and just how much paper you would need to generate in order to do your job. I carry enough paper as is and yet I have lots of files stored online to access for when I am mobile. If I have to pop into a store to grab lunch and I have my laptop bag with me, I haul it into the store with me because if my car is broken into and data is stolen, I can be sued. It is less likely to happen online.

Paper can be burned, destroyed or stolen. So its only one dependency for another. We still have to record information somewhere. Actually its about efficiency but I'm not going down that road.

Yankee Doodle

Weakness fuh Sweetness
If you want privacy do the following :

Don't tell anyone anything
Don't write anything anywhere
Don't type anything anywhere

Quite simple actually.

LB

If you want privacy do the following :

Don't tell anyone anything
Don't write anything anywhere
Don't type anything anywhere

Quite simple actually.
Its about mitigation of all of the above lol Cause we all know that isnt happening :kicks