Has anyone learned a new musical instrument as an adult?

dollbabi

Earth Angel
I already play the piano, although I definitely need to get back into it.

But I'm considering something else, perhaps the cuatro. Love parang and would like to play another instrument that I can sing along with...

Anyone learn an instrument as an adult? Which one and have you mastered it?

How long did it take you to get the basics down?

sharkie

Yes, I play the piano and flute and I started playing the guitar and got relatively proficient on a few chords.

Once you could read music already it's much easier, as the concept is just figuring out how to produce those sounds and practicing proper technique. Now there's also so much youtube vids available, you can practically teach yourself and just use tutors periodically to make sure you're making the right sound (depending on the instrument).

I want to learn the drums, but just not sure I have the time and dedication to something so expensive.

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
Learned to play the violin as an adult. Wouldnt say I've mastered it though. lol I took formal lessons for technique and form. I dont know if it took me long or not because I expect to be a pro in under 60 seconds when I try new things & get pissed when I have to take time to learn lol

I also learned the guitar in early adulthood. That wasnt hard because like Sharkie said, if you can already read music, you can easily teach yourself. I got the guitar down pat pretty quickly.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
Yes, I play the piano and flute and I started playing the guitar and got relatively proficient on a few chords.

Once you could read music already it's much easier, as the concept is just figuring out how to produce those sounds and practicing proper technique. Now there's also so much youtube vids available, you can practically teach yourself and just use tutors periodically to make sure you're making the right sound (depending on the instrument).

I want to learn the drums, but just not sure I have the time and dedication to something so expensive.
Wow...look at you! That's great. I love both the flute and guitar.

I'm pretty much planning to rely on the bold for the majority of my instruction, so glad to hear that it's really possible.

Learned to play the violin as an adult. Wouldnt say I've mastered it though. lol I took formal lessons for technique and form. I dont know if it took me long or not because I expect to be a pro in under 60 seconds when I try new things & get pissed when I have to take time to learn lol

I also learned the guitar in early adulthood. That wasnt hard because like Sharkie said, if you can already read music, you can easily teach yourself. I got the guitar down pat pretty quickly.
That's awesome. The violin is beautiful. LOL@ pro in under 60 seconds. Hopefully I won't be impatient and will have the same patience as I had as a child.

Thanks! I'm excited!

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
does learning how to play the piano on an ipad count? I was always told that I didn't have pianist fingers, but I've always wanted to learn how to play. I also want to learn how to play the violin, and buy a drumset so I can practice.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
does learning how to play the piano on an ipad count? I was always told that I didn't have pianist fingers, but I've always wanted to learn how to play. I also want to learn how to play the violin, and buy a drumset so I can practice.
Oh no...who told you that? Practice is enables the fingers to reach. It just takes time.

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
That's awesome. The violin is beautiful. LOL@ pro in under 60 seconds. Hopefully I won't be impatient and will have the same patience as I had as a child.

Thanks! I'm excited!
Yeah dont be an impatient idiot like me expecting to be Yo-Yo Mah (yes he plays the cello but same damn thing to me) by the end of the first week. :kicks
I got my head around playing just for the fun of it and then I was able relaxed enough not to be frustrated every time I screeched the violin. lol I actually improved a lot then.
You should have fun too with whatever instrument you choose.

I'd love to play the drums like my brother did when he was younger but man, those things are loud inside a small room in a house. Dont want to lose my hearing at this point lol

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
Are you serious? That instructor sounds ridic. No...just no.

I'm really mad at that...really. :mad
I'm so serious...the only person who did want to work with me when I was younger was someone I called my uncle.
Yeah dont be an impatient idiot like me expecting to be Yo-Yo Mah (yes he plays the cello but same damn thing to me) by the end of the first week. :kicks
I got my head around playing just for the fun of it and then I was able relaxed enough not to be frustrated every time I screeched the violin. lol I actually improved a lot then.
You should have fun too with whatever instrument you choose.

I'd love to play the drums like my brother did when he was younger but man, those things are loud inside a small room in a house. Dont want to lose my hearing at this point lol
yeah didn't think about the underlined. lol

Swollen

Players Play I Coach
that's sick man! he was my father's best friend, and I was 4 or 5. way to turn it into something that wasn't even close to the truth.
Some mothers use to love having their friends the "Uncle" Name....

Anyhow on the negative side I just watched a SVU show some disturbing shit about a Pianist who was a child mentor for under-privilege kids in the community..JS...

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
Some mothers use to love having their friends the "Uncle" Name....

Anyhow on the negative side I just watched a SVU show some disturbing shit about a Pianist who was a child mentor for under-privilege kids in the community..JS...
never had that type of stuff happen around me.

SVU has you wanting to put your kids on lockdown sometimes.

LIONESS onda RISE

I used to lie to myself that I was teaching myself guitar...umm..that lasted about 2 months! my daughter plays clarinet and learning flute and guitar..my youngest plays drum and learning guitar. my s/o taught himself bass guitar...

and I'm a bum!

dollbabi

Earth Angel
I used to lie to myself that I was teaching myself guitar...umm..that lasted about 2 months! my daughter plays clarinet and learning flute and guitar..my youngest plays drum and learning guitar. my s/o taught himself bass guitar...

and I'm a bum!
Hilarious!

You have quite the musical household! Although I'm sure it may be a bit noisy at times though. LOL.

LIONESS onda RISE

Hilarious!

You have quite the musical household! Although I'm sure it may be a bit noisy at times though. LOL.
you have no idea how loud!!...on top of it all, Mr. likes to DJ in his spare time..so, its always some noise going on..not to mention the African drums and the Go-Go gongos..lol