Haitian woman:Let my family in

G

Gladiator

Link..Trinidad News, Trinidad Newspaper, Trinidad Sports, Trinidad politics, Trinidad and Tobago, Tobago News, Trinidad classifieds, Trinidad TV, Sports, Business

A Haitian woman who came to Trinidad 20 years ago to escape political and economic upheaval, is asking Government to allow her daughters who survived last week’s earthquake, to come here on humanitarian grounds.
Marie Helen Bruce said her family survived the quake in the town of Carrefour, where half the buildings collapsed, including theirs
It was a matter for the National Security Ministry, the Express was told, but the National Security Minister has no power to grant such entry, according to the Immigration Act.

Last edited:
S

Spranga

i feel if Haitians have family ties to ppl in tnt who are legal, WORKING, and can support them, should get their case at least heard.

Olokun

ah too rude!!
More immigration trouble for Haitians in Trinidad

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KSOQ8tIDdgM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KSOQ8tIDdgM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Don’t send me back to Haiti

By Indarjit Seuraj and Sean Douglas Friday, March 5 2010

She lost her mother and father to the 7.0 magnitude earthquake which decimated Haiti just twelve days into the new year. And yesterday, 25-year-old Anelie Joseph, from Port-au-Prince, made a stirring appeal for help from the TT Government.

“I am here and I am asking the Government of Trinidad to help me to stay and work in Trinidad,” Joseph said during an interview yesterday.

Through an interpreter, a Ghanaian friend, Joseph said after the earthquake which claimed the lives of her father Victor Joseph, 55, a truck driver, and her mother Rochelle Loflume, 50, a seamstress, there was no reason for her to stay in Haiti again.

“I came here because I have nobody,” she said.

Joseph entered Trinidad on Tuesday after boarding a flight from the neighbouring Dominican Republic. She was detained by Immigration officers at the Piarco International Airport.

On the brink of being deported, she was rescued by the Traditional African National Association (TANA) and the Emancipation Support Committee.

She was booked for a Copa Airlines flight destined for Dominican Republic before TANA and Kafra Kambon stepped in.

She was released in the custody of a close friend following the intervention of TANA. She was also ordered to pay a $3,000 bond on her release.

This is yet to be paid and TANA also joined in the appeal for assistance for the Haitian.

“We are asking the State to waive the bond in light of the crisis in Haiti,” TANA official David Walcott said yesterday.

Joseph is now seeking asylum in Trinidad.

Asked if she wanted to return home, she replied, “No.”

“Right now I don’t think I can go back because there is nothing there,” she said.

UNC chairman Jack Warner yesterday said he would pay the $3,000 bond to help Joseph stay in Trinidad, as he chided Foreign Affairs Minister Paula Gopee-Scoon for not doing so herself.

Asked why he was helping her, Warner told Newsday he had personally visited Haiti and seen the devastating conditions. Further, he had last week hosted the president of the Haitian Football Federation.

Warner said Joseph had no family left in Haiti. “We must extend the milk of human kindness to her. I will give her a job at the Centre of Excellence. She can live with her sister nearby in St Augustine, so she can build her life anew,” he said.

He said Gopee-Scoon should have asked the Government to give Joseph shelter, but instead he had got the impression that the minister had been nonchalant towards her plight. “As Shadow Minister of Foreign Affairs, I shall do what Paula Gopee Scoon won’t do.”

At yesterday’s post-Cabinet news conference, Gopee-Scoon had given a business-as-usual impression when asked of the Government’s policy towards Haitians.

Last edited:

EloquenceInc

Get your passport & come !
Why they have to be "legal" and have to be able to take care of their family?
Trinis cuss we when we already was giving haitians asylum before this quake...and acting so stingy cause dem fraid if dem help one a deluge of haitians going to come.

I don't get this girl M.O. though...america is giving out papers to haitian refugees...why she board a flight for trinidad and not one for the U.S.?

G

Gladiator

Trinis cuss we when we already was giving haitians asylum before this quake...and acting so stingy cause dem fraid if dem help one a deluge of haitians going to come.

I don't get this girl M.O. though...america is giving out papers to haitian refugees...why she board a flight for trinidad and not one for the U.S.?
:confused: who is the "we" that Trinis cuss ??..post a link to your nonsense...In your world you belive Trinis care about haitians living in jamaica :rofl:

Last edited:
G

Gladiator

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z41NKUmqq_I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z41NKUmqq_I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

G

Gladiator

T&T Pledges US $5 Million more to Haiti !

T&T will be contributing an additional US$5 million to Haiti to assist that country in recovery efforts from the earthquake that hit it last month, according to Prime Minister Patrick Manning. “President Rene Preval made it clear they have urgent requirements in Haiti and there are 1.2 million people on the streets of Port-au-Prince,” Manning said. “The rains have started to fall and they run risks of health and other social diseases and social issues arising out of that. “The immediate requirements for Haiti is that they need 200,000 tents at the cost of $20 million. This was first raised at the Caricom/Mexico Summit and T&T pledged another US$5 million to that offer.” Manning disclosed this to the media at a joint news conference with Chilean President Michelle Bachelet on Tuesday night at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann’s. On Tuesday night, President Bachelet made a State visit to T&T. She held bi-lateral talks with Manning and signed a Memorandum of Agreement on energy matters...T&T pledges US$5m more to help Haiti | The Trinidad Guardian

Olokun

ah too rude!!

well the 2nd girl came to live with her sister there

EloquenceInc

:confused: who is the we that Trinis cuss ??..post a link to your nonsense
You passing judgment on it as nonsense before you even see what it is, so what am i going for post for?

The thread that was talking about haitians after the earthquake and what and what not jamaica can and should not be doing and whose island doing the most. That whole argument was going on on both boards. The fact that Jamaica had haitians on the ground before this earthquake was pointed out in a different thread before the earthquake even hit, like last year at least.

If you remember either of those threads let me know, cause i don't even remember the titles. If you still have no clue then no problem.

I see you didn't bother argue the rest of the post though.

G

Gladiator

You studying opti..when he becomes a citizen of T&T then he can bump his gums on this issue until then he can continue thinking brooklyn is de world..

EloquenceInc

T&T Pledges US $5 Million more to Haiti !

T&T will be contributing an additional US$5 million to Haiti to assist that country in recovery efforts from the earthquake that hit it last month, according to Prime Minister Patrick Manning. “President Rene Preval made it clear they have urgent requirements in Haiti and there are 1.2 million people on the streets of Port-au-Prince,” Manning said. “The rains have started to fall and they run risks of health and other social diseases and social issues arising out of that. “The immediate requirements for Haiti is that they need 200,000 tents at the cost of $20 million. This was first raised at the Caricom/Mexico Summit and T&T pledged another US$5 million to that offer.” Manning disclosed this to the media at a joint news conference with Chilean President Michelle Bachelet on Tuesday night at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann’s. On Tuesday night, President Bachelet made a State visit to T&T. She held bi-lateral talks with Manning and signed a Memorandum of Agreement on energy matters...T&T pledges US$5m more to help Haiti | The Trinidad Guardian
This does not disprove anything in my post, just so you know. Is trini's 5 million the reason you feel the two haitians in this thread's topic should not be granted asylum? Or do you feel they should be?

G

Gladiator

You passing judgment on it as nonsense before you even see what it is, so what am i going for post for?

The thread that was talking about haitians after the earthquake and what and what not jamaica can and should not be doing and whose island doing the most. That whole argument was going on on both boards. The fact that Jamaica had haitians on the ground before this earthquake was pointed out in a different thread before the earthquake even hit, like last year at least.

If you remember either of those threads let me know, cause i don't even remember the titles. If you still have no clue then no problem.

I see you didn't bother argue the rest of the post though.
and what I am trying to tell you is teh average Trini dont care about haitians living in Jamiaca so fuh you to come in here and mention that, it is absurd..what is your point by stating that in this thread ??..i remember a thread I posted stating T&T give Haiti 1 million after the quake where all these comparisons with jamaica come from ?? :confuse:..allyuh really have no shame

Last edited:
G

Gladiator

This does not disprove anything in my post, just so you know. Is trini's 5 million the reason you feel the two haitians in this thread's topic should not be granted asylum? Or do you feel they should be?
and what does that post has to do with your post dumb dumb :rofl:..so you think every post i posted in here has something to do with your post...so YOU think T&T should grant haitian asylum now ?..who are you to make that judgement?..you pay tax in T&T ?? :kicks:

Last edited:

Inquistive

and what does that post has to do with your post dumb dumb :rofl:..so you think every post i posted in here has something to do with your post...so you think T&T should grant haitian asylum now ?..who are you to make thaqt judgement?..you pay tax in T&T ?? :kicks:
When America deport a Trini, don't bawl.

You know how much Trini fight for asylum in the states?

steups

Nothing wrong with Haitians living in Trinidad.

G

Gladiator

Please let me stay in TT
By LEISELLE MARAJ Saturday, March 6 2010

HAITIAN earthquake survivor Anelie Joseph is yet to get official approval to remain in this country despite receiving money to pay for her bond from Chaguanas West MP Jack Warner.

“I thank God for being able to reach Trinidad and I want to stay here and pursue my career as a caterer. I want to get my life back in order,” Joseph said. Up until yesterday afternoon, the 25- year-old woman was being assisted by the Traditional African National Association (TANA) which intervened in her case when she was on the verge of being deported to Haiti on Wednesday.

Joseph made the trip to Trinidad after the 7.0 magnitude earthquake which rocked Haiti in January claimed the lives of both her mother and father. She tearfully recalled that day, while speaking at the TANA headquarters on Frederick Street, Port-of-Spain. She said she was on her way back to her home in Port-au-Prince from visiting a friend in another village when the earthquake struck.

“I saw houses moving and shaking and when I got to my home, I saw the entire place mash-up and I could not enter,” she said. She was able to explain that she left the site where her home once stood to seek shelter and found out afterwards that her family died when the house collapsed. Joseph sat in a chair, trying to compose herself.

She set her sights on coming to Trinidad after making contact with her close friend, Exantus Gislaine who lives close to Joseph and who was in Trinidad two days before the quake. She was granted automatic asylum and has been placed in the care of the Living Waters community. Joseph informed Gislaine, a customs clerk, that her family also died and Gislain suggested Joseph should try to make it to Trinidad.

Joseph made her way to the Dominican Republic after obtaining a two-month visa but was sent back to Haiti because officials there told her she needed a one-year visa. She got the document and returned to the Dominican Republic but was then told she needed to spend five days there before heading to Trinidad. She finally got on a flight to Antigua and then to Trinidad but at the Piarco International Airport, her passport was confiscated and she was detained in what she described as a prison. She could not say exactly where she was taken but there were only women and she was guarded by a male officer.

“I never travelled before so when I got to Trinidad and they took my passport, sent me to prison and told me I was going back to Haiti, I was scared. There was only one window through which I was able to look through. I have never been in this type of situation before. Nobody was coming to tell me anything,” she said.

TANA official, David Walcott, explained that it was at this point his association intervened. They were able to have Joseph released into the custody of her friend but she was ordered to pay a $3,000 bond to remain in the country for an unspecified period of time. Warner, as reported in yesterday’s Newsday, assured that he will pay the bond and get her a job at the Centre of Excellence, his sporting and recreational facility in Macoya.

This sum has been provided but Walcott said officials at the Immigration office up to yesterday did not accept the bond. He said he was not willing to divulge the reasons behind this but said that he will do so on Monday

G

Gladiator

When America deport a Trini, don't bawl.

You know how much Trini fight for asylum in the states?

steups

Nothing wrong with Haitians living in Trinidad.
Mostly likely she will get asylum like the one who fought before her right after the quake..when she does get asylum i will coem back in here post the article and you wont have much to say...and there alot of haitians living in Trini, nothing is wrong with that

Last edited: