Guyana is South America’s secret superstar and you need to go there right now

Seawall

Too many battymen on here getting stands trying to bring down GT (especially when they've never been there). The gov't is corrupt, city is dirty, and the eco-tourism sector is underdeveloped, however, the scenery and wildlife is far more majestic in either Belize or Costa Rica. I've taken the interior route to Suriname, Brazil and Venezuela and they were all adventures to remember.

Guyana is South America's secret superstar and you need to go there right now | Intrepid Travel Blog

Guyana is South America’s secret superstar and you need to go there right now
Posted on March 4, 2015 by Intrepid Admin in Features tagged gem, guyana, hidden, South America, tourism, travel /

Did you know that it’s entirely possible to visit South America and have one of the world’s tallest waterfalls all to yourself? If you make tracks for Guyana, nestled in the continent’s northeast corner between Venezuela, Brazil and Surniname, it is.

The likes of Chile, Argentina, Colombia, Peru and Bolivia often top travellers’ ‘must visit’ lists when they decide to head to South America. Guyana, on the other hand, seems to attract a far smaller crowd.

But the abundance of cultural and natural sights, the lack of other travellers and it’s general ‘off the beaten track’ vibe help make Guyana a rather unmissable stop. Here’s the lowdown on the stuff that makes this spot an adventure traveller’s dream.

Guyana is one of the least-known corners of South America and truly off the beaten track with both a rich culture and a pristine environment.

1. It’s oh so quiet

Image c/o Anna M, Flickr
Guyana currently only receives about 3,000 tourists a year, which, to put it in perspective, is about the same as Machu Picchu receives in a single day. It’s the same size as Britain but has a population of fewer than 750,000 and is comprised of an incredible 80% virgin rainforest.

2. Caribbean x South American fusion

Image c/o David Stanley, Flickr
Not only is Guyana a South American country of cowboys, rich wildlife, waterfalls, tepuis and flooded savannahs (in the Amazon Basin) but also a Caribbean country of great rum, cricket and music.

It’s neighbours include Venezuela, Suriname, Brazil, French Guiana, Trinidad and Tobago and Barbados, which means you can create a pretty exhilarating itinerary for yourself.

3. History and culture? Check.

Once colonised by the Dutch, then the British, then the French, then the Dutch again, Guyana is now made up Amerindians, Africans, Indians, Europeans, and Chinese. All this has led to Guyana becoming a fascinating mixture of religion, culture and cuisine that you can’t find anywhere else in South America.

4. Hablan Inglés!

Image c/o Rustom Seegopaul, Flickr
Luckily for us, Guyana is South American’s only English-speaking country; so chatting with the locals is a breeze.

5. Total. Cultural. Immersion.

The nine Amerindian tribes that call Guyana their home means that exceptional community tourism experiences are possible. On the Intrepid itinerary, for example, visitors stay in community-run lodges rather than international chain hotels, allowing for some pretty sensational immersion in local village life. There’s nothing quite like learning some traditional rainforest knowledge from a native.

6. Really wild life

Image c/o Rustom Seegopaul, Flickr
Related: Explore Guyana with Intrepid Travel

Wildlife and wildlife watching in Guyana is second to none, owing to the fact that it’s mostly made up of pristine rainforest. Jaguar, giant anteater, giant river otters, black caiman, tapir, eight species of monkey, tiny frogs, turtles, snakes and over 800 species of birds (including the harpy eagle – one of the world’s largest) are all on offer for wildlife enthusiasts.

7. The quietest waterfall in the world

Image c/o Soren Riise, Flickr
The fact that Guyana only receives 3,000 tourists a year means that it’s not uncommon to have places such as Kaieteur Falls – the world’s tallest single-drop waterfall (five times the height of Niagara Falls) – completely to yourself. Where else in the world can you make that claim?

8. It’s a gateway drug…

Image c/o David Evers, Flickr
Guyana is a gateway to Suriname with its UNESCO World Heritage capital, Paramaribo and its fascinating culture, scenery, history and wildlife as well as to French Guiana, an overseas department of France with its attractions of Cayenne, the European Space Agency and Devil’s Island, which was the setting of the famous story of Papillon.

9. Destination, Georgetown

Image c/o Ian Mackenzie, Flickr
With an impressive cathedral, colonial buildings, botanical gardens full of birds, museums, and Stabroek Market, a visit to Georgetown is a treat. It’s a perfect blend of South American and Caribbean influences. The hum of reggae is never far away, and makes the perfect soundtrack to accompany your exploration of the many street stalls, food carts and handicraft shops.

Seawall

10. You can be a trailblazer

Image c/o Inti, Flickr
There aren’t many countries left in the world that you can genuinely be one of the first to visit. How many people do you know that have been? With Guyana, you can be the one telling the story.

A.K.K.S.

The scenery and wildlife is far more majestic in either Belize or Costa Rica.
Amphibians = Guyana 190, Costa Rica close with 183
Birds = Costa Rica 838, Guyana 814, Belize 544
Fish = Costa Rica 1,511, Belize 877, Guyana 467
Mammals = Costa Rica 232, Guyana 225, Belize 147
Plants = Costa Rica 12,119, Guyana 7,112, Belize 2,894
Reptiles = Costa Rica 240, Guyana 179, Belize 140

• Guyana = 214,970 km2
  • Costa Rica = 51,100 km2
  • Belize = 22,966 km2

It should not even be a competition, yet Costa Rica beats Guyana on most and Belize is more biodiverse per square mile/kilometer

Top Ten Reasons Guyana Could Never Fock With Belize:
  1. Beaches, Barrier Reef System, Cayes
  2. Cenotes
  3. Waterfalls with blue and/or clear water
  4. Mayan Ruins/Actual Indigenous Civilization
  5. Caves
  6. Higher Biodiversity per square mile/kilometer
  7. More racially and ethnically diverse and harmonious
  8. Less corrupt
  9. Better roads, higher per capita income, better infrastructure, etc...
  10. Has actually created things the whole world knows about (chocolate, chewing gum, ancestor of basketball, etc...) :dirol:

Top Ten Reasons Guyana Could Never Fock With Costa Rica:
  1. Beaches, Surfing, Variety in landscapes and sand colour and facing every direction possible
  2. Cloud Forests
  3. Hot Springs
  4. Landscapes
  5. Volcanoes
  6. Waterfalls with blue and/or clear water
  7. Happier people
  8. Higher Biodiversity
  9. Less corrupt
  10. Better roads, higher per capita income, better infrastructure, etc...

:victory:

Guyana currently only receives about 3,000 tourists a year, which, to put it in perspective, is about the same as Machu Picchu receives in a single day.
:taunt:

str8finessin

Trini Shotta
my mom's friend is from guyana and her kids dont like to go back there cos they say its always wet and soggy and a lot of nasty insects running around, they say a lot of frogs and shit

Swollen

Players Play I Coach

• Guyana = 214,970 km2
  • Belize = 22,966 km2

It should not even be a competition, yet Costa Rica beats Guyana on most and Belize is more biodiverse per square mile/kilometer

2. Cenotes
  5. Caves
  8. Less corrupt
  10. Has actually created things the whole world knows about (chocolate, chewing gum, ancestor of basketball, etc...) :dirol:

1. Beaches, Surfing, Variety in landscapes and sand colour and facing every direction possible
  2. Cloud Forests
  3. Hot Springs
  4. Landscapes
  5. Volcanoes
  7. Happier people
  8. Higher Biodiversity
  9. Less corrupt

Seawall

• Guyana = 214,970 km2
  • Belize = 22,966 km2

2. Cenotes
  5. Caves
  8. Less corrupt

2. Cloud Forests
  3. Hot Springs
  4. Landscapes
  5. Volcanoes
  7. Happier people
  8. Higher Biodiversity
  9. Less corrupt

Dude, much of Guyana's interior is still undiscovered territory. And Guyana is part of the Amazon basin, which is most likely the most biodiverse in the world. Let them tourist trample down Costa Rica's rain forest, we in GT can keep ours pristine. We just need to keep them Chinese and Brasillians in check....

Seawall

• Guyana = 214,970 km2
  • Belize = 22,966 km2

2. Cenotes
  5. Caves
  8. Less corrupt

2. Cloud Forests
  3. Hot Springs
  4. Landscapes
  5. Volcanoes
  7. Happier people
  8. Higher Biodiversity
  9. Less corrupt

What a clown. Suriname doesn't get that many tourists either. Neither does many other places worth going to.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
I've long wanted to visit both Guyana and Suriname...so much to see and experience.

Of course, jealousy keeps some people pressed bring down Guyana. Funny how the post actually makes Guyana look like the best choice overall.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
my mom's friend is from guyana and her kids dont like to go back there cos they say its always wet and soggy and a lot of nasty insects running around, they say a lot of frogs and shit
The children sound very spoiled. When I was younger, my family in T&T did not have as much. Not once did we open our mouths to complain. We enjoyed ourselves. Like they drag up children today instead of raising them.

bktrini305

Me seh pack up mi grip and lemme goooooooo

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y9tK2jVUDig" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
why dis man coming in here talking about belize and costa rica?????????? my word. way to spoil the thread. a moderator should delete his posts.

anyway, guyana is beautiful and i walking along the seawall in gt, and my time in the annai and surama! i'd really like to visit the kaieteur falls

A.K.K.S.

@Agrodolce
This man said Guyana has more "majestic" landscapes and wildlife than Belize and Costa Rica..... Fock out here, lmao.... The Belize Barrier Reef, Caracol, Uvita, Arenal Volcano etc... Shyttin' on anything Guyana could offer.

All Guyana can offer is bush... It's a bushy, one trick pony. Nobody wants to go. Not even most Guyanese...

Really and truly, Alajuela, Costa Rica or Cayo, Belize got more to offer than the whole of Guyana.

Wow 3000 is a pitiful amount, damn that's really low for a country of that size.
EXACTLY...

Swollen

Players Play I Coach
@Agrodolce
This man said Guyana has more "majestic" landscapes and wildlife than Belize and Costa Rica..... Fock out here, lmao.... The Belize Barrier Reef, Caracol, Uvita, Arenal Volcano etc... Shyttin' on anything Guyana could offer.

All Guyana can offer is bush... It's a bushy, one trick pony. Nobody wants to go. Not even most Guyanese...

Really and truly, Alajuela, Costa Rica or Cayo, Belize got more to offer than the whole of Guyana.

EXACTLY...

<center>
<font size="16" color="#ff0000" face="impact">
<marquee><b><i>
Stupidity Is Just A Privilege
Stop Abusing it</b><i></marquee>

bktrini305

• Guyana = 214,970 km2
  • Belize = 22,966 km2

2. Cenotes
  5. Caves
  8. Less corrupt
lol I don't believe any of that sh!t about Biodiversity because Guyana is pristine and Belize seems to have become Nassau and you're proud of that.

If only 3000 tourists visit Guyana, how many scientists do? Certainly not as many per square mile.

And Show me again how British Honduras is more diverse than Guyana? Lemme sh!t on that too.

robblaten

lol I don't believe any of that sh!t about Biodiversity because Guyana is pristine and Belize seems to have become Nassau and you're proud of that.

If only 3000 tourists visit Guyana, how many scientists do? Certainly not as many per square mile.

And Show me again how British Honduras is more diverse than Guyana? Lemme sh!t on that too.
So you just had to dis Nassau to make that point? STEUPS

Nassau is a CITY (as is Belize City, as its name implies). Who F&$#K goes to a city looking for biodiversity???? Time was when they had beaver dams in what is now mid-town manhattan and the odd black bear attack in what is now uptown! But guess what: it is now a CITY.

If you want biodiversity, check out Andros, Inagua, Crooked Island, the Exuma Cays......................................................... Same with rural Belize, I am sure.

Why does someone on this thread always find a way to bring Bahama-land into their mudslinging contests?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bktrini305

So you just had to dis Nassau to make that point? STEUPS

Nassau is a CITY (as is Belize City, as its name implies). Who F&$#K goes to a city looking for biodiversity???? Time was when they had beaver dams in what is now mid-town manhattan and the odd black bear attack in what is now uptown! But guess what: it is now a CITY.

If you want biodiversity, check out Andros, Inagua, Crooked Island, the Exuma Cays......................................................... Same with rural Belize, I am sure.

Why does someone on this thread always find a way to bring Bahama-land into their mudslinging contests?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
why are you mad? Everyone knows Nassau is a city. My point was it's amount of tourism. How is that a diss?

His comments all point to tourism. What place in this region has been more successful at attracting tourist? (That's a rhetorical question. Even if you do find a place my point still stands)

A.K.K.S.

lol I don't believe any of that sh!t about Biodiversity
That's the problem... What you believe can't trump F.A.C.T.S...

Absolutely stupid comparing Belize to Bahamas in terms of biodiversity. Belize is a mainland country in the Meso-American Biodiversity Coridor and the second larger barrier reef on planet earth. The largest living thing on earth. 60% of the land is under protection, the only jaguar preserve on earth and there are more jaguars per square ml/km than anywhere on earth... Big up Bahamas too, I'm not throwing them any shade

And Show me again how Belize is more diverse than British Guiana? Lemme sh!t on that too.
The only countries with less than 4 million people as diverse as Belize is Panama, and maybe Suriname...

British Honduras hasn't existed for 42 years. No Belizeans ever use that name anyways. Honduras was once Spanish Honduras to the anglophone world. British Guiana, Dutch Guiana, French Guiana... etc... so stop.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
With regards to the title of this thread Seawall, I wish you could get that message across to the many racists Guyanese currently living in T&T especially the ones who generally don't like Afro-Trinidadians.

Nice thread otherwise! :good: