Favorite Caribbean Authors

Maruka

Qualified Mixologist
Jean Rhys is from Dominica indeed my old house in the city was right across from where she lived..

sunshine13

nice!!!!! Edwidge Danticat (HAITI). "Krik? Krak!" one of my fav. also anyone who parents came to the states first and left them in their homeland must read "Breath, eyes, memory". (love this book)
also Roslyn Carrington( trinidad) "A thirst for rain"

Last edited:

Antiguanwriter

I, too, would count Jamaica Kincaid (Annie John, My Brother), Edwidge Dandicat (The Farming of Bones), Sam Selvon (Lonely Londoners), Jean Rhys (Wide Sargasso Sea)...among my all time faves...and among more recent reads thoroughly enjoyed Marie Elena's Unburnable, Althea Prince Loving this Man and Ladies of the Night, Elizabeth Nunez's Prospero's Daughter, D. Gisele Iaac's Considering Venus, Colin Channer's Waiting in Vain, Ramabai Espinet's The Swinging Bridge...love the poetry of Martin Carter...I'm an unrepentant book hound and there are likely others I'm forgetting. But these are a few of the Caribbean authors and books I've enjoyed.

Chicktitude

Chick with Spicy Attitude
Been a while...

But a couple additions I've heard of:

Claude Douglas - When the Village was an Extended Family in Grenada
and The Battle for Grenada’s Black Gold

White Frocks and Coals Dust - Lincoln Depradine (not yet reviewed, upcoming release August 2009)

Chicktitude

Chick with Spicy Attitude
Some overlap from previous posts...but keeping the lists growing.

Robert Antoni (Bahamas)

Cheryl Boyce Taylor (Trinidad & Tobago)

Merle Collins (Grenada)

Jacinth Henry-Martin (St. Kitts-Nevis)

Marlon James (Jamaica)

Anton Nimblett (Trinidad & Tobago)

Elizabeth Nunez (Trinidad & Tobago)

Ras Oosagefo (Jamaica)

Yolaine St. Fort (Haiti)

Everton Sylvester (Jamaica)

Tiphanie Yanique (Virgin Islands)

mademoiselleBaroness

Resilient B!!!!!
Cool that's a name I was trying to remember. I read that one it was a very good read. Have you also read his Of Age and Innocence I think?

This also brings to mind a couple others

Jean Rhys - Wide Sargasso Sea (don't remember where she is from exactly)

My Bones and my Flute (Guyanese/Surinamese author of Dutch origin I believe - can't recall his name)

MY BONES AND MY FLUTE author is Edgar Mittelholzer.
It is one of the scariest books ever written in the Caribbean.

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
Reading Kingston Noir edited by Colin Channer.

It's a collection of short stories all based in Kingston from a cross section of authors:
Marlon James - the darkest story of all of them
Kei Miller
Leone Ross - the most poetic
Chris Abani
Ian Thomson
Patricia Powell
and a host of others

all the stories are darkly themed about murder, death or destruction of the soul in some way.

Seawall

Don't read much fiction anymore, but here's a few.

Edwidge Danticat
Oonya Kempadoo
Wilson Harris - One of the greatest living writers.
Eduardo Galeano

I've read and enjoyed Naipaul, but he seems to have alienated just about everyone, including me.

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
Don't read much fiction anymore, but here's a few.

Edwidge Danticat
Oonya Kempadoo
Wilson Harris - One of the greatest living writers.
Eduardo Galeano

I've read and enjoyed Naipaul, but he seems to have alienated just about everyone, including me.
I like fiction mainly in the summer time for a level of escapism. lol
And then I do stick with Caribbean authors for summer reading. Otherwise, I dont really study that too tough.

Just googling Harris. Which of his books do you like?

badra100

I truly like the way of concet about Breath, Eyes, Memory (Paperback) by Edwidge Danticat... which is my favourite author..!

schoolnet

Reading to young children promotes language acquisition and literacy development and, later on, achievement in reading comprehension and overall success in school. The percentage of young children read aloud to daily by a family member is one indicator of how well young children are prepared for school. Yet, recent studies on family reading suggest too many youngsters go without the benefit of a family member reading to them.