Education

HelloYellow

I just wanted to share an experience I had yesterday.

I have applied to two schools before. One for a trade and one for a degree. They were both not in any interests to me once I started pondering about the schools rep, the professionalism, and how dissapointed I would be after graduation.

I took some time to get my head together, stuck to the present job for five years and have now decided that I want to further my career so that I can live comfortably. As usual the school makes you feel that you are the most important person in the world, they want you right now, and they are willing to do anything to help you achieve your goals.

After all the preliminary BS, we get to that pertinant question. "And how will you pay for school?" So of course I was directed to the Financial Aid office where she basically told me that because I'm making a good amount of money now I would not be able to receive as much as a person who is un-employed or has a low salary. Then she tells me that I must pay $600 and change a month in order to go to school. With rent, bills, and food how the hell do they expect I do this?

I just don't understand this system. The more money you make the more problems you have.

Antigua Me Come Fram

Smarty Skirt
But you lucky. Suppose you were a non resident/citizen like I was? You would have had to pay for the entire semester upfront or at least half, then you would have had to pay the rest by mid-term and to make matters worse you were not allowed to work unless it was on campus. But I understand where you're coming from though with rent and all that.

J

Undercover
You are very lucky, at least you get some kinda financial aid. Thank God i have some book sense, try being an international student paying $300.00 per credit hr and you are required to take no less than 12 credits per semester, not allowed to work and if you do work it has to be on campus for a maximum of 20hrs per week during the semester. I would just like to thank God for scholarships that i was able to obtain.

I say all this to say, its and investment that you are making on your future and their is a price that you have to pay. They could have offered you no assisance at all. It's up to you now, you sacrifice now to prosper more in the future, the ball is in your court.

Libralove83

Ęmρ®ëśš VăńєŞŞâ
get a student loan...if you applied for financial aid, then the option to apply for the loan is on the form as well...did you check that off?

Last edited:

Nisha7

Going home soon...
HelloYellow said:
I just wanted to share an experience I had yesterday.

I have applied to two schools before. One for a trade and one for a degree. They were both not in any interests to me once I started pondering about the schools rep, the professionalism, and how dissapointed I would be after graduation.

I took some time to get my head together, stuck to the present job for five years and have now decided that I want to further my career so that I can live comfortably. As usual the school makes you feel that you are the most important person in the world, they want you right now, and they are willing to do anything to help you achieve your goals.

After all the preliminary BS, we get to that pertinant question. "And how will you pay for school?" So of course I was directed to the Financial Aid office where she basically told me that because I'm making a good amount of money now I would not be able to receive as much as a person who is un-employed or has a low salary. Then she tells me that I must pay $600 and change a month in order to go to school. With rent, bills, and food how the hell do they expect I do this?

I just don't understand this system. The more money you make the more problems you have.
Higher education is not a right, it is a privilege. You are not entitled to it; therefore, it would seem that your focus should be on how to pay the costs rather then complaining about them. If you are not interested in paying the cost, you can find another alternative (cheaper program or no college at all....it REALLY isnt for everybody)

HelloYellow

Okay

I most definitely am complaining. The reason why I'm complaining is that I want to be a better person, excel in education, and climb that ladder of success. But personally I hate the routine of our school system. I guess I had my hopes set so high I was thinking in the clouds and not reality.

So yes I am dissapointed about the amount I'm being charged a month but I've also decided not to let it get to me. I'm still going to attend the school and just pray that God hold not only my hand but my pockets every step of the way.

Last edited:

trinidarkie

You are very lucky, at least you get some kinda financial aid. Thank God i have some book sense, try being an international student paying $300.00 per credit hr and you are required to take no less than 12 credits per semester, not allowed to work and if you do work it has to be on campus for a maximum of 20hrs per week during the semester. I would just like to thank God for scholarships that i was able to obtain.

I say all this to say, its and investment that you are making on your future and their is a price that you have to pay. They could have offered you no assisance at all. It's up to you now, you sacrifice now to prosper more in the future, the ball is in your court.
Yep, in undergrad I never saw a school bill for less than $5,000 and that was cash, cheque or credit card. Financial Aid was not in my vocabulary.

trinidarkie

I most definitely am complaining. The reason why I'm complaining is that I want to be a better person, excel in education, and climb that ladder of success. But personally I hate the routine of our school system. I guess I had my hopes set so high I was thinking in the clouds and not reality.

So yes I am dissapointed about the amount I'm being charged a month but I've also decided not to let it get to me. I'm still going to attend the school and just pray that God hold not only my hand but my pockets every step of the way.
Does your company have tuition reimbursement? If not, how about looking into changing jobs to one that does?

J

Undercover

it is what it is, you have to make the best of what you have right now, you are talking about your future succcess, and that is something that you will have to work to get it. I know it will be tough, you will have to give certain things up, but in the long run, you will be able to get all that you gave up and much more. It is a sacrifice that you have to be willing to make. Just work hard, there are always scholarships that you can try to get

Natural High

Higher education is not a right, it is a privilege. You are not entitled to it; therefore, it would seem that your focus should be on how to pay the costs rather then complaining about them. If you are not interested in paying the cost, you can find another alternative (cheaper program or no college at all....it REALLY isnt for everybody)
Once upon a time having a high school education was a luxury that only members of high society could afford. Then "they" finally realized and were willing to openly acknowledge that in order to make a living wage it was necessary for a person to receive an education up to the 12th grade . . . . thus the invention of the public school.

Now in 2006 a high school degree alone is not going to cut it and we hear that constantly. At this point higher education is a right that all should be entitled to . . . but unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon.