Computer Geeks

Audree

Bush Baby
Please break down for me in Layman's term the whole IP address process

Are IP addresses based off of location or modem/router/connection?

For instance, If I am using my employers/company laptop that is based in

GA, and I live in NY, which location is being picked up as the IP address?

or

If I am in Boston, and I use my blackberry as my modem to connect to the internet, isn't my NY cell/IP addresses being recognized, and not where I am actually based??????

T-Makaa please excuse yourself from this line of questioning, please n thanks.

J

Juan Dan

at one time I was the king of proxies
well free king
there are programs you can buy or download though to change it
its an art of sorts
yet like all things money is best

cassette_craig

Plays Harder
E Z Audree have no fear nerd Craig is here.

I dont know if they are set ot certain areas like the US but ip addresses are set according to the ISP. Each ISP will just use whatever ip address they want as long as it doesn't conflict with no other one on the internet.

So it doesn't matter your location if you set an ip address on your device then try to connect to a different isp than the one you were assigned to use that ip address with it most likely will not work.

Swollen

Players Play I Coach
E Z Audree have no fear nerd Craig is here.

I dont know if they are set ot certain areas like the US but ip addresses are set according to the ISP. Each ISP will just use whatever ip address they want as long as it doesn't conflict with no other one on the internet.

So it doesn't matter your location if you set an ip address on your device then try to connect to a different isp than the one you were assigned to use that ip address with it most likely will not work.

Wrong Craig mi friend....

Jason kiDD

Super Moderator
Please break down for me in Layman's term the whole IP address process

Are IP addresses based off of location or modem/router/connection?

For instance, If I am using my employers/company laptop that is based in

GA, and I live in NY, which location is being picked up as the IP address?

or

If I am in Boston, and I use my blackberry as my modem to connect to the internet, isn't my NY cell/IP addresses being recognized, and not where I am actually based??????

T-Makaa please excuse yourself from this line of questioning, please n thanks.
Can be all three but the only one that really matters is your ISP or the host in which you connect to.. MAC Addresses are device specific and is like having a social security number per device. So you can be tracked easier that way...