Cloud nine the band

Empressdududahlin

Dawtah of the Sun
Re: my point exactly

I want all musicians that are serious in their field to give their opinion, not people who like to cuss and loose their temper over something that does not concern them.

Again, Cloud 9 have the potential but they need to take time off the stage and come out blazing. I want them to be a Tough Act to follow. Their manager need to drill them to perfection. [/B]


Yuh want a helluva lot! So why doh you fund the band, why doh you do this, why doh you do that!! I understand yuh opinion and I guess I have to respect that :rolleyes: , but it just seems all too easy and well for a band to become an OVER NIGHT sensation! ALL THOSE BANDS YUH CALL OUT IN DEM POSTS had years of experience, changes, and even their ups and downs!

as for this comment:
I want all musicians that are serious in their field to give their opinion, not people who like to cuss and loose their temper over something that does not concern them.
And what makes you think Soca lovers who aren't musicians, who may not buss a chune on a stage, and may not manage bands can't give an opinion!! I think dem can even tell a thing or two to some musicians in the business because BELIEVE IT OR NOT, we're LISTENIN TO THE STAGE PERFORMANCE *they're not* as well, and we can tell if it's good, bad, needs a lil work here or there, or even if it stirs a crowd!! And yes trust me, you doh know who's giving a professional music opinion on here!
 
Last edited:

socaflex

Soca DJ
To me You can criticise when u get on stage and put on a spectacular performance for a crowd of people who waiting to see some the biggest artist they aint see for the 2004 season yet. As for de cloud nine ting dem man and dem come real far and it is a pleasure to know that we have something local here to say is we own. Before we put them down leh we rise them up with words of encouragement. Although u are entitled to ur opinon i feel as if though u could have kept that one to urself. Big up Cloud nine and de whole crew alyuh keep doing alyuh ting and keep soca alive. Some people love deh soca but they trying to destroy de artform with words of discouragement WDA!
 

nytrini

Eye of the Beholder!
while i am no musician i am a big soca fan(as i am sure anyone can tell u) and i happen to like Cloud 9 alot...from being around cloud 9 from the almost start...i can say that i think they have made huge improvements...they are a local band, the best local band in my opinion....and i think that one day they will be an ATLANTIK or an Xtatic..but it takes time...there is a thin line between constructive critism and just plain ol hating(for a lack of a better word)..i've learned that in life if u want ppl to be more responsive to what u say u have to choose ur words more wisely...so if u truely LOVE UR SOCA as ur name says..try and embrace their improvements and success instead of the disrespect...after all if they are gonna move forward they need as many supporters as they can get...
 

Bake n Shark

Gangsta Boogie
I doh know Cloud 9 from ah cloud ah pelt powder...and truly doh have ah dog in dis fight. Dat said, I can appreciate where yuh coming from lovemehsoca...as Salt say, yuh analysis was very thorough, insightful and should prove helpful.

The angry words and stuff pointed your way might not have been necessary but yuh only get back what yuh put out. Now I fully understand that disrespect was not yuh intent, but the manner in which you termed certain criticisms came across as being somewhat negative...only to be counteracted by seemingly back-handed complements. As we all know, sometimes it's not what we say...but how we say it.

I also have issue with you creating a thread about it...I would assume (yes...I know about the silly pun on "assume") that you're familiar with some members and regulars of Cloud 9...wouldn't an email or PM have better served your ends? Or if your motive was discussion, shouldn't you have taken some of the sting off and pose a question/open the thread to the rest of Imix :confused. Hindsight is 20/20 but hopefully only positive can come of this and not continued negative...
 

DR. SILK

I 1 2 B D 1 2 4 Q
I remember back in Trini years ago, I went to a party featuring Xtatik. The crowd had no more than 75 people. It buss Big time.
Those days Xtatik was under a lot of criticism. But it all takes time. Look at Xtatik now. Everywhere they go will sell out. It's a fact.

Cloud Nine is on the right track. All it takes is loyalty, determination and a lot of creativity. And before you know it...they'll be touring the world too.
 

yanktiguan

Lucy-furrr
Re: my point exactly

lovemehsoca said:

I want all musicians that are serious in their field to give their opinion, not people who like to cuss and loose their temper over something that does not concern them.

Again, Cloud 9 have the potential but they need to take time off the stage and come out blazing. I want them to be a Tough Act to follow. Their manager need to drill them to perfection.
I am not a musician, nor do I study music, but I do listen to it. I think that everyone is entitled to an opinion, and can like or dislike whosoever they please. However, there is a thing called tact, and I think that your thread seriously lacks any. It is very tacky, and disrespectful for you to create a thread "bashing" an up and coming band who have the heart and drive to make something of themselves. Practice does make perfect, and while learning hands on, they are also picking up a fan base. If they are truly self-taught, more power to them. I am sure they are continuing to teach themselves and will polish their act.

But all that is besides the point. I think someone said earlier that you should imagine how you would feel if you were in the band, and you had to read this. Why not speak to them directly. I am sure some of your fellow imixers have contacts. Or pm them if they are indeed imixers. But the public disrespecting, or constructive criticism as you call it, was totally uncalled for.

Good luck to Cloud 9. I will continue to support.
Holla
 

soca junkie

strength, courage, wisdom
lovemehsoca - constructive criticism is a wonderful thing. it can help put in perspective something someone say on the inside may not see....but if the real goal of this thread is to be constructive, why is it here?? *granted cloud 9 will likely see it anyways but that's not the point* if your goal in posting this was to help the band, you could have taken it a different direction that would guarantee them hearing your comments. while you may have said it differently, in a less attacking way, i'd think they would appreciate the advice...but if yuh come with an attitude, LORD KNOWS imix will come back with one.....especially being consider a 'local' band, a lot of people on here may have known them personally and professionaly for a long time, see the strides they have made, and take ill seeming comments personal. granted it doh makin cussin and carryin on right, but we all know how it go...

with that said, you said maybe people got on cause they didn't go and were starved for soca....i went to trinidad and i can tell you cloud 9 entertained me more than some acts that I saw in trinidad....they may not be perfect but doesn't everyone have to start somewhere?

i doh feel they should take time off the stage...while rehearsing is important, gettin that stage experience is very important too..what good is someone who has great sound, but can't perform very well?? *i won't name names lol*

and while you say that most people on here are not 'musicians'.....SO WHAT??????? to enjoy and recognize a group that has great great potential and ability does not take a professional. as a musician that you are, you should also respect the audience that you are playing for, and not put them down because they don't have the years of training you may have.
 

rictash

TaChe
Thank You IMIX

For your supportive words and thoughts, i believe that you guys have played a important part in encouraging the members and management of Cloud IX to improve,

however Sistren with all the negative vibes , don't come around we,
you are allowed an opinion and like someone said earlier you were very thorough in your critique and as a member of the band you speak, let me hit you with the facts, Rome wasn't built in a day , so dont' expect everything to happen over night, Do your homework, the musicians of which you speak work very hard and some of them do subscribe to musician magazines,
I don't intend to spend too much time defending the band I will let there actions speak for themselves, they have come along way and when someone says to me or any of the other members that we are sounding alot better , I say thank you and i dont' view it as a pity remark.
The biggest set back that Cloud IX has is the fact that we are coming out of New York , we are improving musically and i can safely let you know we rehearse more than most bands. If you got some words that would encourage us and some musical enlightenment that in your opinion would make us sound better then my number is listed on Cloud IX's Bio page on islandmix , call me and we can talk about it.
But sweetie like i told another person the other day Cloud IX don't just perform for you , so you may not like us or may think that we can do better or whatever it is that you think , but there are people out there that Genuinely like us and support us, and i am thankful and grateful to them.

My Question to you is, how many other bands do you know started of perfect ?

you make a whole post about my Band they must be doing something great for People to be talking about them like this!

:D :D
 

Pampalay

New member
Luvsoca had some valid points but is how he/she came of saying it is what was de problem, as some body say is how you say what you said.. If you had put it better I am sure you would of gotten a ton load of opinions on how people think the band could be improved. If they as bad as you said well then dey in ah good position cause the only way to go is up..
I think we all should be able to come up here and say what we feel but when you come an touch on some thing that people consider their own and they feel negative vibe then you must expect some heat cause then people talking more with they heart..
From what I see and know about de band all of them have to get up and work or go to school just like the rest of us, also from what I know none ah them eah have no big wok either. So I am sure as they may want to have all the best equipment and have the best training and the best subscriptions financial it may be problem..And as you said with the money they getting paid for the gigs...By the time they split it they probably cyah pay ah bill.... And we all know how much of ah beatch this thing call bill is..
If you said you is ah musician then you volunteer ah little time nah and see if you could help de cause..From what ah see they making use of the equipment they have..
When it comes to de band the few times I hear them I think de horn line need ah big horn.. ah trombone.... cause is ah brass band..and ah luv me horn line when ah come to fete..
I so think alyah need it I will put meh money weh me mouth is.. I will contribute financial to de cause. I can' t pay for the whole thing but I could donate at lease 33%-40% for the cost of one..Link meh right here..
Keep up the good work...
 

yanktiguan

Lucy-furrr
Pampalay said:

I so think alyah need it I will put meh money weh me mouth is.. I will contribute financial to de cause. I can' t pay for the whole thing but I could donate at lease 33%-40% for the cost of one..Link meh right here..
Keep up the good work...
Pampalay, I think that is a beautiful thing you doing there. :)
 

rictash

TaChe
Pampalay said:
Luvsoca had some valid points but is how he/she came of saying it is what was de problem, as some body say is how you say what you said.. If you had put it better I am sure you would of gotten a ton load of opinions on how people think the band could be improved. If they as bad as you said well then dey in ah good position cause the only way to go is up..
I think we all should be able to come up here and say what we feel but when you come an touch on some thing that people consider their own and they feel negative vibe then you must expect some heat cause then people talking more with they heart..
From what I see and know about de band all of them have to get up and work or go to school just like the rest of us, also from what I know none ah them eah have no big wok either. So I am sure as they may want to have all the best equipment and have the best training and the best subscriptions financial it may be problem..And as you said with the money they getting paid for the gigs...By the time they split it they probably cyah pay ah bill.... And we all know how much of ah beatch this thing call bill is..
If you said you is ah musician then you volunteer ah little time nah and see if you could help de cause..From what ah see they making use of the equipment they have..
When it comes to de band the few times I hear them I think de horn line need ah big horn.. ah trombone.... cause is ah brass band..and ah luv me horn line when ah come to fete..
I so think alyah need it I will put meh money weh me mouth is.. I will contribute financial to de cause. I can' t pay for the whole thing but I could donate at lease 33%-40% for the cost of one..Link meh right here..
Keep up the good work...
thank You for your Kind words,
it is nice to see that you are willing to contribute to a solution.
 

Socaboy

look meh!
Ok, so now that I've read through all the posts here, I can finally comment! This is another classic case of people just reacting as I see it. Yes, Lovemehsoca's wording could have been a little better, but at the same time I could see that the individual has nothing but good intentions in their post. If you read it carefully, you will see that it is constructive criticism. As mentioned before, LMS pointed out what he/she saw as weaknesses that could be worked on, and offered ways to work on them. Why do people take offense to that, specially when the comments aren't even directed at them? Again, yes, I understand the wording could have been better, but even with that, it really doesn't come across as a diss. What's wrong with LMS sayin he/she doesn't think Cloud 9 doesn't sound good? It's simply an opinion. As a DJ, I get that all the time, not everybody is going to like how I play, so it's something people in this kinda business will hear no matter what.

In the case of Cloud 9, I agree with most, they have truly come a long way as a band. They really sound alot better then when they first started out, there's no question. I love their energy, and they appear to be determined to get better, which is a great formula. At the same time, I agree they still have a long way to go, and sound wise they could be tighter, they're not quite there, but in no way should that be taken as discouraging. I'm not a musician myself, but it's my honest opinion after hearing them play the last two weeks.

With that said, I also think Cloud 9 has huge potential, they are most definitely headed in the right direction, and i will continue to support them on their rise, it's only a matter of time, and dedication...keep it up!
 

prettyk28

New member
first of all to lovemesoca if u wanna do constructive criticism fine but u down talking de men equipment and stating that they only get gigs because of their price is low and they need to take time off the stage until they progress/// if u really were paying attention carefully their equipment is just about the best from brass section on bassman use the same bass as invasion/ keyboardist(korg & motif) one of de best/ drummer snare same as de rest as well as the mpc/ so what r u really saying... also noone starts out de best and if they do dem dont stay on top/ they have come a long way from where they have started especially when they r out here playing w/much more experienced bands that r much older experience and age wise/ if u really wanted to help de band u would manup or womenup and let them know cause i'm sure u r one that come thru on their practice days and smile in their face thats how u know for sure there r people that r doing so cause u do it too... also as far as them being hired because their price is so low, if u were such the experienced wise musician that u say u were u know cheap or not if u not good u don't get the gig and also there were many of times when other bands underpriced themselves just to try to get the gig instead of cloudix but it didn't work so if they were as bad as u say then promoters would give the gigs to other bands that r much better and willing to take a cut just to perform/ also taking time off the stage does not enhance anything if anything it can depreciate what they r already building, maybe u wanna come out w/a band and want cloudix to take a stepback because u need time for them to rise(something to think about)/also another thing about their being hired by promoters is because alot of artist on the venue request them to backthem up because of their sound so the sound u hearing i guess is on deaf ears/ just last year they also backed machel and he had no problem wit it at all and u know he is a musician w/long history in the business/also when machel came to de ark in case if u dont know this was his show and he requested for cloudix to be on the venue as well... another thing u pointed out was they need a more experienced engineer/ they have a verymuch experienced engineer from trinidad(pls do some research)... i feel that your comment or criticism was more of a personal gripe instead because the flaws u were point out were materialistic and u were more trying to say how they should not be playing in gigs and how nothin is proper... thats personal not professional... noone starts on the top and as an experienced musician that u say u r u should know/ so u really just showed us all colors of an unexperienced musician in which if anyone is an upcoming musician this is what u look out for and stay away from and try your best not to become what he/she is... i am only talking from experience and the common sense the average human can figure out... i feel as time goes on and they continue to have the supporters and true people to tell them face to face what their flaws r they would rise and then the real craziness shall begin... because not only do they have to practice their own rep but they have artist upon artist to practice as well as remember/ so when denise, rupee, benjai, slaughter,lilrick, and plenty more were on the stage sounding good and u were jammin remember the majority of the time its cloudix so they must have some kind of vibes to not only play but play for the best people in the soca industry... so b 4 u come on to imix to downtalk de band or give constructive criticism do your history and know what u talkin... and ask yourself a question/ HOW MUCH DO U REALLY KNOW? and WHO REALLY NEED TO TAKE A STEP BACK AND CHECK THEMSELF? also fyi if u know cloudix just always play first them come after their performance
 

brownskintrini

Registered User
lovemehsoca said:
Not disrespecting

Cloud Nine should do some serious homework, before taking the stage EVER again. People keep hiring the group for rediculously low low low fee. The band does not sound good at all. They cannot survive on a serious musical stage.

I love their ambition to be a great band but they need to get a great Engineer/Arranger to work with them. They need to record themselves and listen to how they sound.

They need to create a serious Technical Rider for the stage. They need to video tape themselves and check what they are doing on stage and at the same time listen to themselves on stage.

Stop going on stage until you are ready and stop allowing people who pound their chest on the left side telling you -----Good job and behind your backs laffing and rolling on the floor in tears of laughter.

Know when people are speaking the truth and do some more work. More programming on your MP3. Drummer tune your drums and change your ranges.

one looove:bowdown
To be quite honest, I truly respect how you expressed your opinion. Although many on this board might not agree with you, it seems you express concern and not hate for the band.

Honestly people he/she could have come on here and said that Cloud 9 straight sound like shite and dissed the hell out of them but instead he/she offered advice to them, in which he/she feels will help their sound.

I personally find that they have improved dramatically in the last year. I will go as far as saying that Invasion was waste of money last week. Cloud 9 could have backed all the artists. But that is my opinion.
 
M

Mad Scorpion

Guest
Negative criticism is never helpful without aknowlegment of the posituve points. With that said I have heard the band on many occassions and find them to be one of the better sounding of the lesser known bands. My wife swears am a music critic since no matter how much fun I have I find myself critiquing what I hear/ and see. I agrre with all who say they have seen improvement since it is definately evident when you really take a good look at the band. I understand where you're comming from lovemehsoca in wanting them to improve and the areas you cited. However the band is growing allbeit too slow for you they are constantly improving. The improvement is comming at a rate that either is comfortable or manageable for the band. I'm sure the members of the band with maybe some exceptions either have regular jobs as well or attend school so it's no easy task to get all the rehearsal you may think necessary in. If it is that behind their backs they are being rediculed then time will change it. The same ones rediculing them will have to embrace them once they have risen to the level necessary to be appreciated by all (providing that they continue to grow). Please don't see me as making excuses for them as I never do that for anyone I'm simply offering my views.

To all the members of the band (some of whom I am friends with), I will continue to be in your corner as long as you continue to grow and maintain your desire to succeed and improve. I cah back nobody dat does jus go through the motions.
 

Dougla Ting

Happily Ever After
DWizard of AAHS said:
***BLOOD PRESSURE RAISING RAPIDLY***:mad :mad :mad
Relax and breathe.... First, it's a YOUTH band, not children's band and yes, deh's de best. :p
 
Last edited:

Dougla Ting

Happily Ever After
Every band has to start somewhere and has to go through a growth process. The first time I heard Invasion band for Insomnia in Trinidad for 2001 Carnival, deh sound like CRAP. Nobody was paying dem any attention on stage, people was standing around talking and getting deh drinks. Now look they are one of the best performing bands.

Give Cloud 9 credit for how far they reach. They're a young band that is growing and improving every year.
 

rictash

TaChe
Re: Re: Cloud nine the band

brownskintrini said:
To be quite honest, I truly respect how you expressed your opinion. Although many on this board might not agree with you, it seems you express concern and not hate for the band.

Honestly people he/she could have come on here and said that Cloud 9 straight sound like shite and dissed the hell out of them but instead he/she offered advice to them, in which he/she feels will help their sound.

I personally find that they have improved dramatically in the last year. I will go as far as saying that Invasion was waste of money last week. Cloud 9 could have backed all the artists. But that is my opinion.
Brownskin , i have to disagree with you on this one, because this person didn't start of on the right leg, by first stating that the band should never take the stage again and that they don't sound good, fueled the fire for me, If Lovemesoca is really an experienced musician , then there were and are so many other ways to get your point across,
She or he used no tact, and had no facts ! You don't create a thread without doing your homework first, like PRettyk28 said they use top of line equipment , and to add to that they do subscribe to musician magazines and they are not hired because there price is ridiculously low, and they are very comfortable among other musicians,
My thing is if you are gonna give constructive critisism give it but talk about what you know, not what you think you know.
and the one thing i can't stand is anyone that opens there mouth to speak , let me add "loudly" without the facts , she or he told cloud IX to do there homework well they should have did theres before composing this thread.
 

Bake n Shark

Gangsta Boogie
prettyk28 said:
first of all to lovemesoca if u wanna do constructive criticism fine but u down talking de men equipment and stating that they only get gigs because of their price is low and they need to take time off the stage until they progress/// if u really were paying attention carefully their equipment is just about the best from brass section on bassman use the same bass as invasion/ keyboardist(korg & motif) one of de best/ drummer snare same as de rest as well as the mpc/ so what r u really saying... also noone starts out de best and if they do dem dont stay on top/ they have come a long way from where they have started especially when they r out here playing w/much more experienced bands that r much older experience and age wise/ if u really wanted to help de band u would manup or womenup and let them know cause i'm sure u r one that come thru on their practice days and smile in their face thats how u know for sure there r people that r doing so cause u do it too... also as far as them being hired because their price is so low, if u were such the experienced wise musician that u say u were u know cheap or not if u not good u don't get the gig and also there were many of times when other bands underpriced themselves just to try to get the gig instead of cloudix but it didn't work so if they were as bad as u say then promoters would give the gigs to other bands that r much better and willing to take a cut just to perform/ also taking time off the stage does not enhance anything if anything it can depreciate what they r already building, maybe u wanna come out w/a band and want cloudix to take a stepback because u need time for them to rise(something to think about)/also another thing about their being hired by promoters is because alot of artist on the venue request them to backthem up because of their sound so the sound u hearing i guess is on deaf ears/ just last year they also backed machel and he had no problem wit it at all and u know he is a musician w/long history in the business/also when machel came to de ark in case if u dont know this was his show and he requested for cloudix to be on the venue as well... another thing u pointed out was they need a more experienced engineer/ they have a verymuch experienced engineer from trinidad(pls do some research)... i feel that your comment or criticism was more of a personal gripe instead because the flaws u were point out were materialistic and u were more trying to say how they should not be playing in gigs and how nothin is proper... thats personal not professional... noone starts on the top and as an experienced musician that u say u r u should know/ so u really just showed us all colors of an unexperienced musician in which if anyone is an upcoming musician this is what u look out for and stay away from and try your best not to become what he/she is... i am only talking from experience and the common sense the average human can figure out... i feel as time goes on and they continue to have the supporters and true people to tell them face to face what their flaws r they would rise and then the real craziness shall begin... because not only do they have to practice their own rep but they have artist upon artist to practice as well as remember/ so when denise, rupee, benjai, slaughter,lilrick, and plenty more were on the stage sounding good and u were jammin remember the majority of the time its cloudix so they must have some kind of vibes to not only play but play for the best people in the soca industry... so b 4 u come on to imix to downtalk de band or give constructive criticism do your history and know what u talkin... and ask yourself a question/ HOW MUCH DO U REALLY KNOW? and WHO REALLY NEED TO TAKE A STEP BACK AND CHECK THEMSELF? also fyi if u know cloudix just always play first them come after their performance
...this thing giving me a headache. Please familiarize yuhself with de "Enter" key.
 
Top