Antiguans slams Trinidad

Antiguan & Barbudans call foul after ‘Kentucky’ star’s loss

By Alicia Simon - Monday, February 20th, 2012.
Article Hits: 56
No Comments

ST JOHN’S, Antigua – Some Antiguans & Barbudans have expressed displeasure with local artiste Hard Knaxx’s loss at the International Soca Monarch Competition in Trinidad on Friday.

The current jumpy soca king and Road March winner represented Antigua & Barbuda in the power segment of Saturday’s show, performing his song “Kentucky,” but failed to place in the top five.

One caller to the Serpent’s Snakepit concluded, “I think we waste time sending artistes down there to perform. It doesn’t make any sense… In a million years they are not going to win anything.”

This sentiment has been echoed again and again on radio and in conversations throughout the island.

Hard Knaxx himself responded to the reactions in an interview with OBSERVER.

“People say that because it’s true.” He continued, “In Trinidad they mostly play their music … they push their own all the time, 24-7.”

The artiste conveyed that aspects such as fireworks, confetti and stage lighting were not delivered during his performance.

“I see that as not being professional enough at the night of the show, by paying for everything and not getting nothing … It’s like a bias thing,” Hard Knaxx said.

The artiste also claims that although the music was fine in rehearsals it was lacking on the night of the show.

“The band didn’t catch the music how I wanted to catch it. The presentation wasn’t put on how we planned and paid for it, but I went out and did my thing … did my best,” he said.

The lack of crowd support was also evident to Hard Knaxx. “Everybody was still … standing and watching as I’m doing my performance.”

He believes that the lack of audience response was because his song received little airplay.

However, Hard Knaxx said he does not dwell on the innuendos and remains in high spirits. He is calling the show a “win-win” situation.

“It’s a big thing, it’s a big achievement, even though I didn’t win. Everyone is still a winner,” Knaxx said.

He is awaiting confirmation of his placement that will be disclosed at a presentation today. The performer anticipates being awarded EC$60,000 for his performance.

After two months abroad the entertainer was slated to return home yesterday. He has already penned new songs, beginning preparations to defend his crown in August.

Machel Montano, who won first place in both the power and groovy segments of the competition dominated the Soca Monarch Competition.

Montano was followed by Iwer George, Destra and a tie between Blazz and Prophet Benjamin for the power division and Kerwin Dubois, Benjai, Nadia Batson and Kes in the groovy division.

N

NaturalBornRidah

Has anyone other than a Trinidadian won a Soca Monarch? I didn't know they were so bias.:tease:

limintrinibwoy

ah like chupidness
They boldface an outta place....they thought he woulda place wid dah bullshit kentucky???? buck buck buck buck?...Trinidad got enuff fukry songs out in dey own right like dah bucket shit..u tink u cud come from antigua cluck dong d place bout kentucky chicken an win soca monarch....steups....

TriniTrini

Unique woman
The International Soca Monarch is a show with majority Trinbagonian artists with artists from other soca nations. It has always been a show where there are a lot of Trinbagonian artists and 1 person from a few other nations. To me unless the song real sweet one of the popular natives from Trinidad and Tobago will usually win.

When I was at International Soca Monarch in 2011, I had a ball. I was in in the front so I can see everything going on in the stage live and direct and to have the most fun. A lot of the people in the front was real wild sometimes but it was fun.

I did not care if the person performing was a Trini or a person from SVG I danced. I obeyed commands from the singers to wave, jump or whatever. Of course I partied harder for my favorites but I danced for all since it is not an easy thing to get in front of a crowd of people and try to move them. I gave them that respect. Plus I was open minded so I can enjoy myself.

I did not go to one of the biggest Carnival shows to stand up... I was going to dance.
If I was there this year, I would have danced too for Hard Knaxs. I will be back later to talk about what I think about the song.

Trinidad/International Soca Monarch
1993 - Superblue - Bacchaanal Time
1994 - SuperBlue - Flag Party
1995 - Ronnie McIntosh - On The Road
1996 - Superblue - Bounce
1997 - Ronnie McIntosh - Ent + Superblue - Barbara (Tie)
1998 - Super Blue - Ato Party
1999 - Kurt Allen - Dus Dem
2000 - Super Blue - Pump Up
2001 - Shadow - Stranger
2002 - Bunji Garlin - We From de Ghetto + Iwer George - Gimme Ah Bligh (Tie)
2003 - Iwer George - Ah Home
2004 - Bunji Garlin - Warrior Cry
2005 - Bunji Garlin - Blaze de Fire
2006 - Shurwayne Winchester - Ah Can't Wait
2007 - Iwer George - Fete After Fete
2008 - Bunji Garlin - Fiery
2009 - Fay-Ann Lyons-Alvarez - Meet Superblue (First female winner)
2010 - JW & Blaze - Palance [2]
2011 - Machel Montano - Advantage
2012 - Machel Montano - Pump Yuh Flag

International Groovy Soca Monarch
2004 - Michelle Sylvester - Hone
2005 - Michelle Sylvester - Sleeping In Your Bed
2006 - Shurwayne Winchester - Don't Stop
2007 - Biggie Irie - Nah Goin' Home
2008 - Shurwayne Winchester - Carnival Please Stay
2009 - Fay Ann Lyons-Alvarez - Heavy T Bumper
2010 - Shurwayne Winchester - Murdah
2011 - Kes The Band - Wotless
2012 - Machel Montano - Mr.Fete

Last edited:

TriniTrini

Unique woman
Has anyone other than a Trinidadian won a Soca Monarch? I didn't know they were so bias.:tease:
If you have to make a statement about a large group of people please phrase things better nah.

Who is they??

I am Trinbagonian and fuh damn sure I eh biased. Let's put things into context. Let us think about the show itself and the odds stacked against a non-Trini winning

See my post above also.

TriniTrini

Unique woman
An article does not compare to seeing and hearing the performance by this artist.

Song alone
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PYEWIGCrPus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

------------------------
Video for Song

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YxxO7cqqmaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-------------------------------
Singer live Antigua Carnival 2011
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GsSSqDNF_RY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

--------------------------------
Singer live Trinidad and Tobago (not Soca Monarch eh)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/08q-9fUDy6k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anybody have the performance from Saturday at Soca Monarch?

Last edited:
Antiguan & Barbudans call foul after ‘Kentucky’ star’s loss

By Alicia Simon - Monday, February 20th, 2012.
Article Hits: 56
No Comments

ST JOHN’S, Antigua – Some Antiguans & Barbudans have expressed displeasure with local artiste Hard Knaxx’s loss at the International Soca Monarch Competition in Trinidad on Friday.

The current jumpy soca king and Road March winner represented Antigua & Barbuda in the power segment of Saturday’s show, performing his song “Kentucky,” but failed to place in the top five.

One caller to the Serpent’s Snakepit concluded, “I think we waste time sending artistes down there to perform. It doesn’t make any sense… In a million years they are not going to win anything.”
This sentiment has been echoed again and again on radio and in conversations throughout the island.

Hard Knaxx himself responded to the reactions in an interview with OBSERVER.
“People say that because it’s true.” He continued, “In Trinidad they mostly play their music … they push their own all the time, 24-7.”

The artiste conveyed that aspects such as fireworks, confetti and stage lighting were not delivered during his performance.

“I see that as not being professional enough at the night of the show, by paying for everything and not getting nothing … It’s like a bias thing,” Hard Knaxx said.

The artiste also claims that although the music was fine in rehearsals it was lacking on the night of the show.

“The band didn’t catch the music how I wanted to catch it. The presentation wasn’t put on how we planned and paid for it, but I went out and did my thing … did my best,” he said.

The lack of crowd support was also evident to Hard Knaxx. “Everybody was still … standing and watching as I’m doing my performance.”

He believes that the lack of audience response was because his song received little airplay.

However, Hard Knaxx said he does not dwell on the innuendos and remains in high spirits. He is calling the show a “win-win” situation.

“It’s a big thing, it’s a big achievement, even though I didn’t win. Everyone is still a winner,” Knaxx said.

He is awaiting confirmation of his placement that will be disclosed at a presentation today. The performer anticipates being awarded EC$60,000 for his performance.

After two months abroad the entertainer was slated to return home yesterday. He has already penned new songs, beginning preparations to defend his crown in August.

Machel Montano, who won first place in both the power and groovy segments of the competition dominated the Soca Monarch Competition.

Montano was followed by Iwer George, Destra and a tie between Blazz and Prophet Benjamin for the power division and Kerwin Dubois, Benjai, Nadia Batson and Kes in the groovy division.

now this! is sad...

sounds like a syndicate thing goin on..

Wadadlineko

An article does not compare to seeing and hearing the performance by this artist.

Song alone
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PYEWIGCrPus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

------------------------
Video for Song

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YxxO7cqqmaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-------------------------------
Singer live Antigua Carnival 2011
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GsSSqDNF_RY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

--------------------------------
Singer live Trinidad and Tobago (not Soca Monarch eh)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/08q-9fUDy6k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anybody have the performance from Saturday at Soca Monarch?
The performance on youtube

I cant even sit here and fight for Hard Knaxx or whatever he name is, people asking what going on with Antigua Soca.

he should go in a dark corner and siddung..

I wonder why Antigua kicking up de biggest fuss when their artist was actually the worst, they say dey wanna boycott TNT soca and artistes because Trinis are selfish.

They say dey sick of Antiguans idoloizing Trini artists but Trinis only support their own and disrespect other music.

Well dating back to the Bajan invasion, Trinis have embraced foreign music and artists. If u nah make the grade..u nah mek it.

massive25

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q0wnSv57bok" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I believe this is the performance from couple days ago.

I wonder if it would have a Trini backlash for Antigua and the other islands summer carnival...they rel complain last year.

Antiguans complain about Machel gettin props ova Tian

Bajan complain about the Machel poster for cropover, oh why it wasnt Eddie

Grenadians complain about Iwer's Jab song advertising Grenada's carnival (love my Greenz people though lol), and someone mistakenly call Iwer the King of Jab Jab.

TriniTrini

Unique woman
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q0wnSv57bok" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I believe this is the performance from couple days ago.
Thanks for posting this.

No wonder I did not find it at first somebody put his name as Hard Knoxx *sigh*

One video say it is Hard Knaxx. Other videos say the man name is Hard Knaxs.
And on one website I see him called Hard Knox.

Apparently his stage and real name is Joel "Hard Knaxs" Lewis.

because, unlike the other two isles that went into the competition and figured that you cant win, we went to compete..
yeah but that just was not a good song period, forget about airplay and everything..I am not bias..is either I like it or not and the three non Trini artists songs were especially lacking...not that Machel and some of the trini artists sing classic symphony but u know what I mean.

yeah but that just was not a good song period, forget about airplay and everything..I am not bias..is either I like it or not and the three non Trini artists songs were especially lacking...not that Machel and some of the trini artists sing classic symphony but u know what I mean.

that is quiet understandable.. but here is the long and short of it..

the young man wrote his own tune.
he went to every fete (he and the rest of the juggle fu life family) and sang dem tune, either for free most times or pay.
the other top ranking soca artist in the antiguan competition did not step up to the mark, which allowed him to win (i will post there performance to give you an idea as to what happened).
he didnt come with a trini style (most to all of the antiguan soca artist get their tunes from trinidad, so this was an antiguan tune winning a competition for after so long).
he more or less represent the changing of the guard.

bare in mind, there are alot of detractors to the young man.. the persons who have interest in the artist with trini writers had all negative to say about the young man, because their cash cow didnt make it, which isnt a fault of the guy. so to have the trinis refer to him as a joke is just giving the detractors fuel.. to add insult to injury, a trini newspaper bash swappi, prophet and knaxx and used the wrong picture.. the picture used was one of Drastic who sung sugary waistline in 2010.. not hardknaxx..