A NEW KIND OF SOCA EMERGING

Empressdududahlin

Dawtah of the Sun
I don't know if it's me, but a friend of mine were talking about the fact that Soca looks like it's going through a change again. I mean, I think I'm politically correct with these terms, there was and is Calypso, then Kaiso, then Soca which originated from Soul and Calypso, and Ragga Soca. I was listening to songs like By De Bar(Benji, Treason, Scarface) and other tunes like Tempted to Touch-Rupee,and the Dread Presidents with Bunji Garlin/ Mr. Menace (GRIPPA RIDDIM'), it seems like there is a new step in the Soca Fraternity. I am lovin' it TRUST, but it feels like an R&B flava is in the mix of Soca. ALWAYS A LOVER OF SOCA.

MuddyAngel

Yes you are right. THere is definitely a new SOCA emerging. The question is - is the change good for the preservation of the SOCA culture? Is it continuing to be the venue for serious commentary and entertainment?

Empressdududahlin

Dawtah of the Sun
In light of post 9/11, soca has it days of fun jump up vibes, but you can find one or two tunes that has funny political commentary. I just want to know what name they are going to come up with this time.

M

Mad Scorpion

Our music is always changing and the other genres of music always seem to get infused into Soca. Over the last 5 years I think soca has seen much more reggae influence than anything else, (machel, Iwer KMC, Bunji, Maximus) it definately seeming to have a more international appeal than before though. As for the next name who knows?!!!

Essiquibo

You worserer than I
i love it all but like mentioned earlier by someone in this post, it's heavily reggae influenced lately. It sounds great and i'm a fan but i worry if our ambassadors will water it down too much to the point where you can't tell it apart from reggae one day

everytime this conversation comes up, i remember that Bunji first started out trying to be a reggae artist.

Don't study it.

M

Mad Scorpion

So did KMC and Maximus who actually had a single released in Jaimaica when he was still called Maga Dan

Socaboy

look meh!
It sounds good, but the question is, is it soca? Do you only refer to it as being soca because the artists involved are soca artists or do you feel that it is soca. I like the tunes, but in my opinion it's not soca.

Trinibaje

IMIX ATTORNEY GENERAL
I agree Socaboy.. its not soca... Soca has to evolve no doubt... but those sounds on riddims are not soca... i don't know what they will call it...

I prefer soca... while the times will change i hope there are artist who will stick to the artform now known as soca....

ARE YOU READY FOR DE XPLOJUN
"Rusty & Double Xplojun"

Socaboy

look meh!
Like Trinibaje, I too much prefer Soca. The "new" sound is great for attracting new listeners, it sounds good, but it shouldn't be catagorized as Soca music. Just like latinos have fused their Salsa, Reggae, and Hip Hop to form a new sound they now call Reggaeton. Since these artists have fused Hip Hop, Reggae, and Soca together, they should give that sound it's own identity as well.

UpTown

We Not I
Alyuh , I doh understand why everybody going on one riddim like they do in Jamaica , they singing with a force ripe Jamaican accent , I don't know the reason for this , are they trying to form something new , I feel they could call it dance hall soca . My problem is why use the same format the Jamaicans use , I never see any Jamaican try any soca style , I listen to Byron Lee for years and is sweet soca music they play . What happen to our culture , nobody has a soca mentor like Sparrow , Kitch , Lord Nelson , David Rudder , Super Blue , Stalin , Baron and many more .I hope this is not the end of soca .

WYLD FYRE

A NEW KIND OF SOCA HAS EMER

WELL HERE I AM AGAIN TALK ABOUT THE SO CALL NEW SOCA
IF YOU ALL WILL LOOK AT SOME OF MY OLD POST YOU WILL SEE THAT SOCA HAS BEEN FAILING THE OLD FORM SO LIKE EVERY THING ELSE IT HAD TO BE CHANGE.
SOME PEOPLE THING THE SOCA MUST ONLY BE ABOUT MASS AND RAG AND FLAGS BUT THERE IS MUCH MORE TO (MUSIC ) THAN THAT

NUFF LOVE AND RESPECT
FYRE KAMIKAZE

E

engineroom

RE: A NEW KIND OF SOCA HAS EMER

really now, how has soca been failing?

there are lots of people doing progressive things within the context of soca, without leaning to heavily (or at all) on reggae or hip hop stylings.

where soca has failed is not musically, but from a business point of view- promotion and management is inept, corrupt, etc. the reggae industry has gotten its act together (after many years of being shoddy) and so now it is in everyone's face even more than before.

but i will tell you, the exact same argument is going on in jamaica and in the reggae community, except they are debating whether dancehall is becoming too much like hip hop.

to conclude my rambling- for whatever reasons (BET, lack of local push for the music, etc.) the youth in the caribbean are the biggest enemies of their own culture- all the styles in the eastern Caribbean revolve around wanting to be either hip hopish or jamaican (and in jamaica everyone trying to be on the hip hop tip).

Socaboy

look meh!

WYld Fyre, the debate is not about the lyrical content of Soca. I never believed that it only has to be about mas, rags, and flags, this is a theme that has only come about in the last decade. It may appear that the old form of soca failed because it never had a chance to mature, it never fully evolved. At the same token, everytime an artist has gone back to the "old form" they've managed to pull off the best and most popular tunes. For example, Shadow "Looking For Horn", "Stranger", and this year, Scrunter "De Jumbie", all went back to the "old form", and are the most requested tunes. The music that is being debated now has changed so much that it's impossible to recognize it as being Soca, it has taken on a whole new identity period.

Socaboy

look meh!

Just to be clear, when I was referring to the "new" music, I was referring to tunes on the Grippa, Corvoisier, and Dougla riddims. I find these have taken the biggest step away from the format we now refer to as the "old" soca. Again, I'm not saying I don't like the tunes, but is this a sign that soca will no longer exist in the years to come?